Beriev gets to build Be-2500!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 1 month

See
http://www.royfc.com/acft_news_old_sep4.html#28sep
Although I have seen different numbers for Be-2500 wingspan, namely 156 m.

The Caspian Sea Monster is different.

The biggest Caspian Sea Monster had 106 m fuselage length, 540 ton MTOW - and only 44 m wingspan.

Whereas Be-2500 has pretty conventionally shaped wing - 156 m span and 3400 square metres wing reference area compared to 79,8 m span and 845 square metres area of Airbus 380 show Be-2500 has about twice the span, 4 times the area and roughly the same aspect ratio as the Airbus 380 wing. The wing loading is also similar. Be-2500 is perfectly capable of flying as a conventional, free-air plane.

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

One word...

WOW!

Member for

24 years 8 months

Two words....

Yeah right :cool:

Cool as it might be I honestly can't see it happening, unfortunately. What market would there be, and more importantly which engines would be used?

Member for

18 years 9 months

Perm PS90?

The PS90 has 176kN of thrust in its most powerful version, you'd need way more than six engines in that case. Even the D-18T (255kN or something similar) isn't powerful enough, the An-225 needs six of those and this Beriev monster is in a different size class entirely ;) It might work if it is indeed intended to stay in groundeffect throughout its flight, but there still doesn't seem to be a need for such a vehicle.

Part of me hopes they do build and fly it though, can you image what an incredible sight it would be? :D

Member for

18 years 9 months

So something new then.

Frankly there would be better things for Beriev to invest their money, I don't think they would find the market to justify the investment.

Member for

24 years 8 months

The model on display at Gelendzhik in September (and presumably the latest iteration of the design) had six Kuznetsov NK-116 engines - each rated at 105,000Kn

I took these photos on the Beriev stand........

Ken

Member for

24 years 8 months

Another interesting design - although only in model form - was this Be-112.

Twin turboprops - with a clamshell cargo hatch between the fins.

Whether it is a serious project or just a design study, I have no idea.

The model flew on the last day of the show.....

Ken

I think you mean 1050kN (1kgf corresponds to 10N, so 1tf = 1000kgf = 10kN), which would still make them the most powerful jet engines ever built, by a considerable margin. It is interesting that they're Kuznetsov engines, would make sense for them to be based on the NK-93 propfan then.

I still fail to see a market though.

Lots of congestion near many modern airports. Large percentage of the worlds population is coastal, so sea planes are still viable, they just couldn't compete with top speed with conventional jets. These aircraft might be more cargo transports than people movers as their cargo potential is what is interesting... small ship like capacity but with aircraft like speed.

Member for

24 years 8 months

I think you mean 1050kN (1kgf corresponds to 10N, so 1tf = 1000kgf = 10kN), which would still make them the most powerful jet engines ever built, by a considerable margin. It is interesting that they're Kuznetsov engines, would make sense for them to be based on the NK-93 propfan then.

Actually, we're both wrong - I had three too many zeros - you have one too many :rolleyes:

The NK-116 is rated at 105Kn - 23,000lbf - at least according to this site :- http://www.answers.com/topic/beriev-be-2500

Ken

Member for

19 years 1 month

So something new then.

Frankly there would be better things for Beriev to invest their money, I don't think they would find the market to justify the investment.

The market is supposed to be the Russian Navy.

1000 tons of payload over 10 000 km at 500 km/h or more would compare well with conventional ships (less than 50 km/h). And unlike conventional landplanes like Il-76 or An-124 which require runways, Be-2500 as an amphibian could be unloaded where no airports of adequate size have been built or where such runways are denied by enemy action... It would help projecting force.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Personally I'm not really doubting the presence of a market - aid agencies, foreign (i.e. western) governments and armed forces all have a need to transport very large payloads quickly across the globe. Should the Be-2500 be available tomorrow it would doubtless find customers just as the An-225 is kept relatively busy. It would also probably be cheaper per ton of payload to operate than a heavy conventional transporter. The problem is finding funding to get this immensely complex and expensive project off the ground/water. I simply doubt that anyone is willing to front the billions of dollars required and to take on the risk involved.

Actually, we're both wrong - I had three too many zeros - you have one too many :rolleyes:

The NK-116 is rated at 105Kn - 23,000lbf - at least according to this site :- http://www.answers.com/topic/beriev-be-2500

Ken

LOL :) I find that number hard to believe though. 6x105kN would give the Be-2500 less enginepower than a single Il-96-300 and 105tf IS 1050kN, which is data straight from the designer (I take it that's who the placard in your photo came from?).

EDIT: and the disaster relief role actually is a good call. Food for thought. As I said, if they build it I'll be happy, just for the coolness of it ;)

Member for

18 years 7 months

Cruising speed at altitude is 770 kilometers per hour, and in ground effect is 450 kilometers per hour.

Has anyone actually considered the safety issues of operating an aircraft at these speeds at what is practically ground level altitude? Just how high above the waves do these aircraft fly at and what happens to everyone and everything that should happen to lie under the flight path of one of these “monsters”

There is something to be said for flying at the usual 30,000ft if you have to travel at such speeds – you’re not likely to run into bulk carriers, aircraft carriers, or other ships, trawlers, tugboats, yachts’ masts, fishermen’s’ dinghies, frolicking dolphins practicing somersaults, whales and submarines which suddenly decide to surface - and most crucially, flocks and flocks of seabirds.

Will there be some sort of hands-off, automated collision avoidance radar fitted as standard - and special restricted sea corridors for such unprecedented high-speed operations.

Bearing in mind that the likelihood of an accident occurring increases for a normal aircraft as it gets closer to the earth – most aviation accidents occur during landing and take-off, I really can’t see the wisdom of flying at such high speeds at such low heights for prolonged periods of time.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Found this photo of the Caspian Sea Monster on the web recently... well I've never seen it before!!

Attachments

Member for

20 years 9 months

Perhaps the Ruskis are doing some long term planning and taking into account global warming.

I mean when the world's airports are underwater giant ekranoplans will make a lot of sense.

I like the thing. It harkens back to the old days when aviation was about pushing limits and trying out new things.

Modern aviation is boring - the F-22 and A380 are for all intents and purposes very conventional.

Member for

17 years 5 months

funny smell

This just reeks of the Saunders-Roe P. 70, the never built 56 deck, 24 jet engined, 1000 passenger flying boat meant to fly between England and Australia. But I hope they build it none the less.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Whoops

Sorry that should be 5 decks, not 56. My hand slipped. Sorry.

Member for

24 years 8 months

FWIW, the small :eek: (well compared to the KM & Lun that is!) A-90 'Orlyonok' assault ekranoplan has been floated up the Volga and Moscow rivers from Kaspiisk - and is now being prepared for display as part of a naval exhibition in Moscow......

http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/moscow_2007_files/day07_030.jpg

Ken