HH-53 "Jolly Green Giant" Sikorsky Helicopter

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

Can anyone please help me?

I have seen a few of these flying over my village near Ware, Hertfordshire lately, low and in ones and two's.

I have done a google to see if any of these are based in the UK and I cannot find any. There are references to Mildenhall but how old these are I don't know.

Are these on attachment to any USAF or RAF stations at the moment?

Thanks.

B.P.

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

I saw a pair of them flying over Hatfield yesterday, very impressive. Thought they were German for a second, but they had IFR probes and grey camouflage-definately American examples.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Actually, they are MH-53, and yes, they are based at Mildenhall.

Member for

19 years 10 months

They were at one time based at RAF Woodbridge (then the 21st SOS/39 SOW), then moved to Alconbury....now at Mildenhall I believe.

I flew with them a few times in the late 80s...one memorable flight consisted of beating up (very low and very fast) the old Ipswich airport as part of an air display.

Member for

18 years 5 months

The USAF unit that operates these from RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk is the 21st SOS (Special Operations Squadron) which forms part of the 352nd SOG (Special Operations Group), reporting to SOCOM (Special Operations Command).

The HH-53 was actually the 'Super Jolly Green Giant'. Pedantic, I know, but the 'Jolly Green Giant' was the nickname given to the HH-3E/CH-3E series, which is a completely different helicopter.

All of the 21st SOS's choppers flying out of RAF Mildenhall are, in fact, designated MH-53M and known by the offical name of 'Pave Low IV'.

See: http://community.webshots.com/album/166692957rCCPBU for some photos.

Hope this helps!

Steve Rush

Member for

24 years 8 months

Thanks very much for your help and quick responses.

One went low at about 07.30 ish, on Monday towards Hatfield/WGC area.

In the afternoon between 15.00 - 16.00 low and going in the same direction and about an hour later came back but at a much greater height.

What a sight and sound.
Still cannot beat the sound of a Chinook on its weekly travels from airport to airport flying over the house.
I have yet to see one display.

Thanks.

B.P.