Canadian C17's

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 4 months

Not sure if this question has been asked before.
Now that a new Canadian Government (minority though) has taken power are the chances better for buying C17's?
Would love to see them fly for us!

Sled

Original post

Member for

20 years

An interesting article
http://www.sfu.ca/casr/id-antonov-3.htm
C17 vs AN-124-100 cost comparison
That guy cracks me up, he should do comedy. In a way he is. I find his lack of common sense quite refreshing.

Member for

20 years 11 months

That guy cracks me up, he should do comedy. In a way he is. I find his lack of common sense quite refreshing.

Ouch, somebody here has serious troubles with Eastern hardware.. I bet if An-124 was US-made, we would be hearing the *worlds-best* superlatives all day long..

Buddy, you should not be doing even comedy, your common sense is totally non-existant.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Perhaps, but the issue of sea based heavy transport is first on the list as that project (debacle) has been going for years now. Then again, who needs heavy transport now tht you have gotten rid of your Leopards and gone to 'light' wheeled vechiles? ;)

Member for

19 years

I think the concern with the Antonov An-124 is more that the cost is very unpredictable - the price has consistently gone up for the last ten years (in 1995, they were quoting something like $25-30m, now they quote ~$90m, and most seem to expect it to be more like $120m now). It is undeniably one of the more useful cargo planes, and has a great capacity, but without updating with western equipment, it is not going to be as attractive as it might be.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Is this guy related to Dr Carlo Kopp by any chance?

Member for

19 years 10 months

Not sure if this question has been asked before.
Now that a new Canadian Government (minority though) has taken power are the chances better for buying C17's?
Would love to see them fly for us!

Sled

To actually answer your question. No! the Canadian government doesn't have the money to spend on such an expensive system as the C-17. as much as the Canadian military in in dire need of a strategic airlift capability, the lack of funds will prevent the Harper government from making such a decision. With the present RFP for a medium lift capability with the C-295 and the C-27J being studied, this will be the only substantial military procurement from Canada for a while to come. That is unfortunate.

Member for

19 years 11 months

i went to a talk by the Commander of Northern Forces Canada and he stated there has been testing by Canada Command on both the C-27 and C-295. He has a favorite but would not elaborate...

Member for

19 years 9 months

Isn't the twin-engined procurement for an aircraft to use in the northern parts of the country?

There's another requirement out there for medium transports to replace the C-130. Long-range strategic transport is also a big issue as the country wants to support missions overseas, but whether they could afford 3-4 C-17s is a big question. Then again, Hillier was talking about buying an amphibious ship not too long ago. That's not too cheap, either.