Drag Penalty of External Stores

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

Hallo everybody.
I’m looking for information about the additional drag produced by external stores. Purpose is to make a proper simulation of climb performance. I have zero-lift values for some aircraft and a usable transonic drag model. But I would like to know how many drag-counts are added by external stores like missiles, bombs, whatever.

As not everybody may be familiar with drag counts I’ll be happy with all information you got. For example max speed with a particular load (with information about thrust and altitude). As I have only data for American types I could use information on them best. But any indication about the drag penalty of external stores is welcome.

Thanks
Schorsch

Original post

Member for

24 years 7 months

Hallo everybody.
I’m looking for information about the additional drag produced by external stores. Purpose is to make a proper simulation of climb performance. I have zero-lift values for some aircraft and a usable transonic drag model. But I would like to know how many drag-counts are added by external stores like missiles, bombs, whatever.

As not everybody may be familiar with drag counts I’ll be happy with all information you got. For example max speed with a particular load (with information about thrust and altitude). As I have only data for American types I could use information on them best. But any indication about the drag penalty of external stores is welcome.

Thanks
Schorsch

Will the one with the most drag be the 'Drag Queen' ?? :diablo:

Ken

Member for

24 years 7 months

As you probably know, the Swiss AF developed a new AAM pylon for their Hornets.

The improvements in capability are pretty good if you ask me:

time to climb to 49000ft at Mach 1.4 carrying 4 AMRAAMs and 2 Sidewinders:

Hornet with bathtub pylons: 7.5 min
Hornet with low drag pylon: 5.5 min
Clean Hornet would be at 4.2 min

I got this data from a Swiss magazine.

Found a pic here: http://www.rob.clubkawasaki.com/jas6079.jpg

Member for

24 years 7 months

Will the one with the most drag be the 'Drag Queen' ?? :diablo:

Ken

We aren't referring to the Subpar Hornet here, are we ? :diablo:

Member for

18 years 11 months

As you probably know, the Swiss AF developed a new AAM pylon for their Hornets.

The improvements in capability are pretty good if you ask me:

time to climb to 49000ft at Mach 1.4 carrying 4 AMRAAMs and 2 Sidewinders:

Hornet with bathtub pylons: 7.5 min
Hornet with low drag pylon: 5.5 min
Clean Hornet would be at 4.2 min

I got this data from a Swiss magazine.

Found a pic here: http://www.rob.clubkawasaki.com/jas6079.jpg

2 Minutes sounds rather optimistic. That would mean a very significant drag reduction. I have to check that.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Question: what is the general rule/formula for calculating the drag's effect on an aicraft's speed (top and cruise), and other performances ?

Merlock-just curious.
________
IV

Member for

18 years 11 months

Question: what is the general rule/formula for calculating the drag's effect on an aicraft's speed (top and cruise), and other performances ?

Merlock-just curious.

Drag is a force. If this force is not equalized by thrust there is a resulting force contra your direction of flight. This force leads to a acceleration and finally a speed. That's simple mechanics, actually not specially related to aerospace.
The determination of drag and its calculation is 'une autre chose'.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Shorsch I like the image you have when you post (the phantom breaking the sound barrier in a huge cloud). Could you post it on this thread? I really want to download it... if possible of course.

Member for

24 years 7 months

2 Minutes sounds rather optimistic. That would mean a very significant drag reduction. I have to check that.

I agree, its a lot. Maybe the standard pylon data is from a US Navy Hornet with older engines while the Swiss F-18s all have the enhanced performance engine (something like 7700 vs 8000 kg of thrust i believe).

Member for

18 years 11 months

Schorsch I like the image you have when you post (the phantom breaking the sound barrier in a huge cloud). Could you post it on this thread? I really want to download it... if possible of course.

Don't have it available full quality. But type "F-4 Phantom sound" in google and you'll find it. Actually this unveils the informed people out there: the Phantom is not breaking the sound barrier, it is just going high transonic.