Su-27/3x vs Mig 29: Take-off & landing from Unpaved/Rough field

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

It is known that Mig-29 has capability to take-off/land from/on unpaved runways and rough fields.

Does su-27/30 has also this capability, if so, what are constrains in terms of weapon and fuel payload.

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

It is known that Mig-29 has capability to take-off/land from/on unpaved runways and rough fields.

Does su-27/30 has also this capability, if so, what are constrains in terms of weapon and fuel payload.

Several Russian runways are in a state, that some "rough fields" capability is mandatory

Several Russian runways are in a state, that some "rough fields" capability is mandatory

Every country in the world has both well maintained good cared for runways and runways that would only be used in time of war. The purpose of the rough field capability of the Soviet fighters was that after a few hours into any world war most runways are going to be damaged and may only have half their length available or less. The PVO Flankers would only be operating on runways with lengths of 5km, but in time of war it might only have one tenth of that that is actually available for taking off from.

Depends upon the length and state of the "runway". Most fighter weapon loads should be possible in all but the worst conditions.

Member for

24 years 8 months

The Su-27s have grills which drop down and shield FOD from the engines. They're grills though and not actual doors like on the FULCRUM, hence air can pass through and there's no need for overwing louvres to get air into the engine. That's probably because the FLANKER's intakes sit higher off the ground than the FULCRUMs do, I'd guess. As for the rest of the FLANKER series, the more mdoern variants, I'm not really sure, I never bothered to look!

Member for

24 years 8 months

The Su-27s have grills which drop down and shield FOD from the engines. They're grills though and not actual doors like on the FULCRUM, hence air can pass through and there's no need for overwing louvres to get air into the engine. That's probably because the FLANKER's intakes sit higher off the ground than the FULCRUMs do, I'd guess. As for the rest of the FLANKER series, the more mdoern variants, I'm not really sure, I never bothered to look!

The opposite is true - the 'modern' MiG-29's - MiG-29SMT, M2, K, OVT etc have all done away with the upper LERX louvres - in order to house more fuel.

That means they no longer have a retractable FOD door blanking off the man intakes.

The Flanker on the other hand retains the retractable mesh FOD screen in all variants AFAIK.

The new trainer, the Yak-130, has a neat arrangement whereby the anti-FOD door folds down to blank off the intake, opening up an intake in the top of its LERX.

When retracted, it forms the 'roof' of the intake - so a single door either blanks off the main intake or the LERX intake. It also has further intake doors in the LERX/spine.

Ken

Member for

24 years 8 months

Actually the MiG-29M switched to grills like the Su-27, though its intakes are no further away from the ground. I believe the louvre doors and ramp arrangement was deemed excessive to requirements.

Member for

21 years 1 month

FLANKER's intakes sit do not higher off the ground than the FULCRUM's do. The idea with ramp doors has proven as unnecessary, pretty heavy and space-consuming. Solution can be seen on the pic.. MiG-29M and MiG-29Ks have grills similar to those of Su-27 series. BTW, tests have revealed that the grills, when applied, decrease the overall performace of the enginess by some 3 per cent.

Attachments