Su-27KUB - Canards

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

I just found the enclosed B&W photo of the Su-27KUB.

It must have been taken on one of the press days - it certainly wasn't there on the public days that I attended or I would have spotted it !!!

The interesting thing is the canards - note the dog tooth on the leading edge.

This is a new addition - the canards are already bigger than the 'standard' Su-35/Su-33/Su-34 canards - but it looks like they have had to add additional area...???

This colour photo shows the Su-27KUB in an earlier guise - with the original shape canards.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/flankers_pages/su-27kub_files/su-37kub_21.jpg

Ken

Original post

Member for

18 years 11 months

Are you really sure that first one isn't just a Su-33?

Anyways, I'm quite interested in the UB, so any pictures and data would be welcome! How many do they have? Still that single one? Or is the picture you posted just a new one, hence with some additions?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Sukhoi was supposed to be building a second one. Both of the jets pictured above are the same aircraft, Bort 21.

Member for

19 years 1 month

The Su-33UB (Su-27KUB) has completly overworked wings, canards and AFAIK also modified horizontal stabilizers.
Wingspan has been increased to 16,70 m and wing area to 70 m².

Member for

20 years 4 months

...It must have been taken on one of the press days - it certainly wasn't there on the public days that I attended or I would have spotted it !!!

Do you mean MAKS 2005, because of the Dassault Falcon 900 bizjet in the background?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Do you mean MAKS 2005, because of the Dassault Falcon 900 bizjet in the background?

Yes - MAK 2005....

There were a few bizjets at MAKS 05 - they didn't appear on my radar, being non-russian, so I didn't photograph them :-

Saturday...

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/visits2-pages/mos2005_day04.html

Sunday:-

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/visits2-pages/mos2005_day05.html

The Su-33UB (Su-27KUB) has completly overworked wings, canards and AFAIK also modified horizontal stabilizers.
Wingspan has been increased to 16,70 m and wing area to 70 m².

The wingfold is further outboard - and the wings are vertical when folded (although I have yet to see a photo of them folded on the a/c).

The horizontal stabilisers are bigger - and do not fold.

Ken

Member for

19 years 9 months

Does anybody know the designation of the optronics pod on the Su-27SM in ken's Maks-05 photos??? (the plane is also carrying a Sapsan E pod).
By the way they are amazing photos and I am extremely jealous that you have the skill to take them.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Does anybody know the designation of the optronics pod on the Su-27SM in ken's Maks-05 photos??? (the plane is also carrying a Sapsan E pod).
By the way they are amazing photos and I am extremely jealous that you have the skill to take them.

It is the acquisition head from the KAB-500T TV-guided bomb - essentially the TV seeker head - complete with fixed canard foreplanes - with the rear end closed by a fairing.

I am sure we have dicussed its designation on this forum before - but I can't find it just now.... :o

Ken

Member for

19 years 9 months

Thanks ken.

Member for

20 years 4 months

I looked via google through pic galeries from the MAKS 2005.
There was no pic of the SU-27KUB, so I presume, the SU-27KUB was not shown on the public days.