Acoustic Aircraft Detection

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

Would like some more information about acoustic aircraft detection technology around the world. I know the ADF currently has a project (AIR5407) which aims to produce a capability technology demonstrator for an indigenous AADS, but what else has been done concerning this technology throughout the world? What do you see as the possibilities for this technology to become useful?

MinMiester

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: Acoustic Aircraft Detection

[font color="purple"]
if your talking about what i think your talking about then isn't this like eons out of date. i the 30's all round the south east they constructed these hugh concrete cone things to listen for german bombers - this system was crap as far as i can tell and radar came online just before ww2. i can find and scan a pic if you want from my book on biggun hill raf base.
rabie :9

Member for

24 years 8 months

Are you sure you still want acoustics? I mean you are seriously limited by the speed of sound and the mach cone. It was feasible before because airplanes are so slow...but today? Give it up...may for some kind of last ditch weapon against bombs dropped by stealth aircraft...but i wouldn't pursue it. Why? Cause it's relatively easier to shield stuff acoustically than EM.

Member for

24 years 8 months

[font color="purple"]
argh it didn't work but thwe pic is at the link - probably the file size - i'll shrink it

Member for

24 years 8 months

[font color="purple"]
ahh shrunk it to 38kb - how is it

Member for

24 years 8 months

I know sweet F.A., but it's intriguing.
I once had an idea (not original) for an 'organic' radar system designed to detect stealth a/c...how feasible it would be I have no idea, but it revolved around the idea of setting up a vast network of small cheap transmitter/receivers (thousands) along a coastline and perhaps on bouys out to sea. These aerials would be the size of a basketball and could be set up on top of telegraph poles and mobile phone towers. A deflecting signal from a stealth aircraft would not be lost because it could be picked up by another aerial hundreds of miles away. The resulting vector could be solved a by a powerful computer connected to the network and the path of the stealth aircraft could then be plotted.
I have seen an article in Flight International which discussed recent developments in sensor fusion using secure internet-type links between many different sensor platforms (air/sea/ground) resulting in what was so-called a 'supersensor'.....an idea who's time has come....

Member for

24 years 8 months

Not Original

You can say that again, and again.
GOD DAAAAAAAMMMMNNNN!!!!!!!
Someone has ALREADY beat me to it! I just read the 'BT & Vodaphone' thread!!!
EVERYONE pilfers my ideas!!!!
AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!
I think I'll go back to my cot and have a good cry. :(

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: Not Original

regarding the acoustic detection system, it worked pretty well for the germans, so why was it good for germans and not brits?? directional control must have been difficult, and in this age of quiet aircraft attacking at one time it would be hard to use acoustic detectors. doesn't get my vote I'm afraid. although the huge network could work, but which country would build it except in an all out war??

coanda:7

Member for

24 years 8 months

1) poor min :-)
2) coanda - at the time (just pre war) these places were built and weren't so good or handn't been perfected. anyway we brits developed radar which worked better/ was easier, etc.

Member for

24 years 8 months

of course it worked better, but the germans did have an operational, and to a degree EFFECTIVE acoustic detection system, especially when using it for height finding.

Member for

24 years 8 months

LAST EDITED ON 22-06-01 AT 08:38 PM (GMT)[p][font color="purple"]
but didn't the germans also make their own radar ?

Member for

24 years 8 months

yes true, the wurzburg is one type, as well as others, one of which was taken out by a commando raid, and dismantled for transport back to the UK!! the day before dday! these were years behind, but caught up quickly, typically!! in the end the airborne radar was very effective, that and the blind bombing sytems used.

Member for

24 years 8 months

LAST EDITED ON 22-06-01 AT 08:45 PM (GMT)[p][font color="purple"]
ahh i thought germany built up a whole radar net and wouldn't have needed this but do you mena they like the uk had acoustic before radar ?

Member for

24 years 8 months

yes they had quite an established network before they had radar, it was said that they could hear bombers on airfields acros the channel before they took off!!!!!

Member for

24 years 8 months

[font color="purple"]
ohh, i suspose you could with the big waves for the big jobs like dresden, hamburge, that ball bearing factory, etc.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Hey again, sanity check...speed of sound at sea level ~740mph. Sound attenuation ~1/Distance squared (assuming no loss)
Omni-Directional
Frequency is also unfavorable...too low.

Member for

24 years 8 months

The German sound detection was very accurate!!! They used 2 sets, 1 for height & 1 for distance. They could detect allied aircraft taking off, hence the need for spoof raids to draw off the night fighters. There's a very good double video called "Warriors of the Night" which explains how the various detection systems worked.
The German radar was stolen long before D-Day. I can't remember the actual date (without looking it up & it's nearly time for bed!). However, the pilot of the aircraft, which dropped the commandos, was G/C Pickard, of the Amien Prison Raid fame. He was KIA. February 1944.
Regards,
Neilly

Member for

24 years 8 months

hey vortex, just teaching the guy some history, and hey, it worked then, but i know it wouldnt work now!

coanda:7:7

Actually it does work now... in the appropriate medium.
It has been improved to a point where it is unbelievable what they can do with the advanced sonar sets in use now.