Any Drawings of pre-Eurofighter BAe Design Studies? P.96, P.106, P.110 or ACA?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

As I understand it, BAe's last conventional swept wing, twin engine concept was called the P.96. It had big LERXs and side mounted intakes.

From there BAe engaged in its very last single engined light weight fighter concepts, a very conventional swept wing P106A that looked a bit like a shrunken Mirage F1 and the cranked delta P106B that became the initial basis of the both Saab's Grippen and the Indian LCA.

The cranked delta wing planform made it to first collaborative fighter proposal the ACA - or "agile combat aircraft." The ACA was very similar in layout to the final EAP demonstrator, except for the F-18 style twin tail. (A pitifully small 3-view is attached below.)

The ACA was killed due to concerns about weight an cost.

Finally, we come to the P.110. The wing of the P.110 mockup was cut down from the mockup of the ACA and the twin tail was also carried over. The P.110 reverted to side intakes, like the Gripen.

The whole idea behind the P.110 was to produce a smaller, lighter and cheaper alternative to the cancelled ACA. Much like Dassault's Rafael, BAe was looking for a fighter with export potential. Sadly, I was only able to find the same photograph that most posters have already seen.

Of course, we all know that the final result of was the British EAP demonstrator - the "grandfather" or the current Eurofighter EJ200 "Typhoon."

It shouldn't be forgotten that BAe's last attempt at a got-it-alone national project was the P.120. The P.120 was a productionized variant of the EAP demonstrator. I still don't know whether the P.120 retained the cranked delta wing planform of the P106/ACA/P.110/EAP, or went for the final straight edged delta of the final Eurofighter.

Is there anyone out there that can help me find drawings of the P.96, P.110, or P.120?

(I threw in the ECF (a shrunken ACA?) the German TKF-90 images to get the ball rolling.)

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

You need Tony Buttler's Secret Projects: British Jet Fighters. It has everything that you are after and much more.

Member for

20 years 4 months

I found the some info about the ND-102 at the german forum "www.flugzeugforum.de".

Edit: I know now(!), you wanted only info and drawings of pre-Eurofighter BAe design studies. I saw the following info and attached pic a week ago at FF, so I thought it would be time now to post them here.

Deino has a lot of pic's of pre-Eurofighter MBB design studies.

The ND-102 was competition draft from Dornier and
Northrop to the MBB's TKF-90. It should become a 12 tons heavy "pure" AtA fighter, with engines to reach to Mach 2 without afterburner (supercruise).
It did not come however over the model stage since it was planned as fighter as substitution of the german F-4 and without
air-to-surface abilitiesin the later bidding procedure for the "Jäger 90", etc.. .
Please excuse me for the bad translation!

Sources in German:

Member for

18 years 11 months

Edit: I know now(!), you wanted only info and drawings of pre-Eurofighter BAe design studies. I saw the following info and attached pic a week ago at FF, so I thought it would be time now to post them here.

Deino has a lot of pic's of pre-Eurofighter MBB design studies.

It's just about impossible to separate the German and British sides of the Eurofighter story.

If I demonstrate an Anglophone's perspective, please excuse me.

Since you mentioned the collaborative ND-102 design study I've attached a 3-view that I found - possibly posted by Deino, for all I know.

I'm sure the Deino could answer many of the questions I have about modern German fighter concepts.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Don't forget X-31!

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Newsroom/X-Press/stories/082903/new_vonkarman.html

Yes, the X-31 is certainly related to the TKF-90 fighter concept. I don't know whether data from the X-31 had any bearing on the ultimate Eurofighter configuration, though.

I've always wondered if the Germans chose to partially fund the X-31 with the Americans as an alternative to participating in the EAP with the British?

Member for

20 years 8 months

The whole idea behind the P.110 was to produce a smaller, lighter and cheaper alternative to the cancelled ACA. Much like Dassault's Rafael, BAe was looking for a fighter with export potential. Sadly, I was only able to find the same photograph that most posters have already seen.

it's Dassault R.A.F.A.L.E

Rafael is the Israel Armament Development Authority
Rafael's website

:dev2:

I seem to remember ND-102 concepts that were completely tail-less, thanks to the TVC.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Road to Eurofighter

Design to AST 403 (not sure of the project designation)

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

P.91 (single engine) and P.92 (twin engine) swing wing projects

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

P.158 and P.159

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

P.96 (conventional) and P.103 (tilt engine STOL)

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

P.96F and P.103

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

P.1205 V/STOL project

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

Unknown BAe project, 1979 at latest; ECF

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

ECA; P106B (P106A was conventional tailed version, no illustration)

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

1980-1981

P.110 is my favourite; P.163

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

ACA

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

1983-1985

EAP model; EFA (cranked delta; box intakes)

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

German designs to follow.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Great selection of pics aerospacetech, do you have any more pics of UK V/STOL projects?