flight sim advice

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

hey folks,
I want to get into flight simming and have a few questions.I want to fly against others online,Ive heard there are online "squadrons" and what not.Can anyone recomend online groups or clubs like this?Ive heard Janes makes the best sims for realism,but are they the best from a combat strategy standpoint?What about Battle of Britain,Ive heard that realistically simulates that battle down to every last plane,is that a good one?And on the technical standpoint,what kind of online conection specs do I need?Howabout computer specs and graphics cards?Any recomendations on joysticks or any other interface periferals?Also,if anyone knows some good cheap/free multiplayer online combat games to recomend,Id like to know about that too.
thanks for any help

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: flight sim advice

LAST EDITED ON 25-08-01 AT 06:58 PM (GMT)[p]check out

http://www.avsim.com
http://www.pcaviator.com.au

and there is a British mag called PC Pilot.

For scenery realism Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 is the current benchmark, for flight model realism X-Plane is the best.
For combat, I'm not sure.

There is a crowd that's working on an online WWII game that includes flying, soldiers, tanks, and battleships, but I'll have to get back to you with the URL.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Hi Aviojet,

What kind of budget do you have?

For the online 'squadrons' and games try doing a search in your broswer with "Online Combat sim squadrons/games" if you have not already. Janes had a combat net site but this has apparently been closed down, but the site is still useful anyway.

http://www.janes.ea.com

Most flight sims these days come with multi-player built in and the will usually have their own associated website or online group supporting that particular sim you are using.
I have found the Flight sims (and other combat sims like 'Fleet Command') from Janes to be generally very good, and in my opinion, the damage modelling in 'WW 2 Fighters' is the best I have ever seen.
From a strategic point of view, such as campaigning, mission/flight planning and so on, there is not a lot differing between various manufacturers apart from the odd little extras that tend to define them from others. In my experince anyway, the sim functions aside from the actuall flying are usually pretty good unless you settle for something cheap.
Currently, I have heard that the Microprose/Hasbro Interactive 'B-17 Flying Fortress' is the top of the range for pure depth & realism, and interactivity, but it requires a top system to run effectively and smoothly.
Other WW2 sims like 'European Air War', 'Battle of Britain' and 'Combat Flight Simulator 1 & 2' are all good but each will have something over the other which makes it hard to judge any one as the best.
I have quite a few in my collection, and I have to say that 'F-22 ADF' and 'Total Air War' both from Digital Image Design are still some of my favoutires despite now been 3-4 years old and not graphically as sharp as current sims. The reason been that they offer a very good level of mission inter-action and both have an AWACs mission option - which by the way is a hoot! You can sit back and control the war! They also have an amazing variety of aircraft/vehicle/ship types to deal with and encounter. Still a lot of fun to play.

As for Online connection specs, basically a good 56K modem you will need, but if you can afford it, go cable. The computer will need to be pretty good to handle the latest sims well. I have had my computer for 3 years now and I had it upgraded before purchase to accomodate flight sims, i.e. the 3D card, extra RAM and so on. Now my specs are border line minimum required for most top flight sims these days and so when I can afford it, I will upgrade again - and it will cost.

A good example of what is recommended for good and smooth flight sims today;

Operating System: Windows 95 or Windows 98 (Windows 2000 or ME is just not necessary)

CPU: Pentium II 350 MHz or higher (P III/IV is now INTEL standard, as well as the high CELERON series. Most, if not all games or sims are generally Pentium compatible, best to stick with it.)

Memory: 64 MB SDRAM (at least, used to be more than enough. 128MB will be ample for the next couple of years)

Input Device: Windows 95/98 compatible joystick, throttle, and rudder peripherals

A good and fairly safe bet joystick series is 'Sidewinder' from Microsoft because of their compatability, and the fact that the better ones can be programmed.

16MB Direct3D graphic accelerator card (I would go for 32MB or 64MB if you can afford it)

DirectX 7 or later (This is usually built into the programme of all good sims and will be installed on command if you don't have the current version on your computer)

Of course you don't need the above to run most of these games usually, and the minimum specs will often be quite a bit less overall, but if you want to get the most out of them and not have to pull your hair out when the busy screen starts jutting in an apparent time warp, and you have the money, go for better.

Good luck, and most of all, have fun flying, and if you are so inclinded, fighting.

Regards, Glenn.

Member for

24 years 8 months

What about Falcon-4, there seems to be a lot of mention and hype surrounding this game? Is it any good, realistic? What scenarios are there and can you create your own? Ditto for F18 Super Hornet?
In fact, what combat sims allow these features?
thanks guys

Member for

24 years 8 months

Fantastic info Glenn.Im really surprised at the minumum specs you list as Pentium II,64Mb and 56k being workable for new games.Im building a cheap computer that will probably be around 800Mhz,and I was worried that would be too slow (make the frames to stagey).What about the Athlon?Ive heard gamers say AMD CPUs are better for gaming than the Intels.Also a freind mentioned a trick where you put the game memory on your RAM to go from millisecond to nanosecond reaction time on your game.thanks

Member for

24 years 8 months

ok, this is what you need,
good joystick/throttle combo Saitek X36 combo is very good (full programmble HOTAS)
Falcon 4.0/ Jane's games/ B-17 Flying Fortress/ Rowan's battle of britain/ basically whatever is your bag baby!
Ninja fast s**t kickin PC!!
Loads of spare time and cash!!

Member for

24 years 8 months

Those specs are a general list of what is recommended to get the most of your sim, but like they suggest, better - is better. Min specs just to run the sim are often less and most still list a P200 or PII as minimum. I have yet to see a PIII required in recommended specs, although 'B-17' does recommend a PII 450 and 256 MB of RAM!!

I am not sure about the Athlon or AMD, but my brother is using an Athlon 900 and it runs games and sims just fine with enough RAM and a good 3D card. I suggested Pentium because most, and possibly all games out there will run with them, and usually require them as a minimum, but an equivalent IBM compatible CPU (e.g. Celeron, AMD etc) is also workable.

As for RAM alterations, not sure, have not done it, but if you know what you doing then why not, if it gets more out of your system. I know that you can modify your CPU and over-clock the speed but it will wear it out a lot faster than normal.
The CPU speed is important for sims, but its the RAM and the necessary 3D card that do most of the work, and so they should be the primary consideration for maximium performance. If you have an 800Mhz CPU, good, then you can focus on the rest to really get the best from your sim.

Regards, Glenn.

Member for

24 years 8 months

What could i say?

For graphic cards: If you have much money, a GeForce 3 based card is the best. Else, from the expensivest to the most affordable: GeForce 2 GTS, GeForce 2, GeForce 2MX. Don't go under that. Avoid also other chipsets, they are either more expensive, or less performant (at least for games).

Processor: AMD Athlon 850 or more. Never buy the last one, it costs too much, and brings nothing more.
Avoid Intle, their mainboards sucks at the moment, and the procesors are really too expensive (and you probably will have to buy Rambus RAM, really overpriced!)

Ram: 256 Mb SDRAM DDR is ok, more isn't needed (Except for 3DStudio ;-) )

Motherboard: Asus or Abit. (Try to have an AMD Chipset (or the VIA KT133A)

HDD: IBM, 30 GO, or more! (avoid samsung, and other chinese brands, they won't last very long!!)

To play, Win98 is best, to work, Win2000 or, soon, XP. Avoid WinMe.

Joystick: Saitek X36 isn't too expensive, and seems to work well. Otherwise, Thurstmaster, or CH Produxts.

Regards,
Frank

Member for

24 years 8 months

Ahhhh to be rich.

If you have the money then by all means go ahead and buy or build the system that Frank suggests. One thing is for sure, you won't need to upgrade for quite a while!

However, if you don't have a gold card, then don't fret, as you will not need a killer system to run most good sims these days fairly smoothly.

I have heard bad things about the new Pentium IV and it's new RDRAM, so perhaps Frank has a point there, but there is nothing wrong with a PIII (as far as I know), and something around 600 or better would suffice quite easily enough. What ever turns you on.

256 MB of RAM again is overkill, while it will ensure you run everything without a hassle for ages to come, if you can't afford it right away, 128 MB will again suffice (as a recommendation) for most current sims, and should for a while.
If you are looking at some very serious flight/combat sims like 'B-17' right away then fork out for the extra RAM.

A good hard drive is essential, especially if you want to install a lot of large games, but something between 10-20 GB would suffice in my opinion.

Last of all, as well as reading what we have written, pop into computer shops and check out the required & recommended specs on the lastest bunch of sims and that will give a better overall idea of what you will, or may need.

Have fun.

Regards, Glenn.

Member for

24 years 8 months

>hey folks,
> I want to get into
>flight simming and have a
>few questions.I want to fly
>against others online,Ive heard there
>are online "squadrons" and what
>not.Can anyone recomend online groups
>or clubs like this?Ive heard
>Janes makes the best sims
>for realism,but are they the
>best from a combat strategy
>standpoint?What about Battle of Britain,Ive
>heard that realistically simulates that
>battle down to every last
>plane,is that a good one?And
>on the technical standpoint,what kind
>of online conection specs do
>I need?Howabout computer specs and
>graphics cards?Any recomendations on joysticks
>or any other interface periferals?Also,if
>anyone knows some good cheap/free
>multiplayer online combat games to
>recomend,Id like to know about
>that too.
> thanks for any help
>

hi all,
I advise you to join http://www.87th.org, we fly Falcon 4.0, considered the best military simulation ever, it simulates Block 50/52 F-16s in a very realistic way. If you want to have a good time with good people in a very organized squadron follow the link and take a look, I'm sure you won't regret it. :D
Regarding other sims, Jane's sims are good but a bit arcadish IMO... If you prefer Russian military aircraft i advise you Flanker 2.51 at http://www.flanker2.com.

Regarding joystick equipment, i advise you to wait for Thrustmaster Cougar if you can afford 300$ USD! It's the best you will find! http://us.thrustmaster.com/articles/read.php3?id=234

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: Ahhhh to be rich.

Well: for RAM: the price disserence is minimal, so i suggested 256 MO
I checked the prices for the processors: At the same frequency, the intel is always 2 times as expensive as the AMD. (I spak here from real PIII, P4, Athlon. Not from the low class Celerons)
The reality is that, at the same frequency, an Athlon is quicker than a Pentium (3 or 4).
For the HDD: i've got 65 GB, and they are full :-)

If you have other questions...
Frank

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: Ahhhh to be rich.

Frank, a 65GB hard drive - and full, what are you storing? :)

I think the performance difference of a system based on similar CPU speeds, say 800Mhz, and both having the same 3D card and RAM, would be neglible for sims, and so like you said, what is cheaper is better obviously.

Regards, Glenn.

Member for

24 years 8 months

65Go?

Easy:
Games, softs (VC++ takes a lot of space...), and, till June, i had internet on a T1 line.. You can imagine. :-) I'd just say that ReGet and Teleport Pro are great programs! :-):-)
Ah, i forgot, having a TV Tuner card, i sometimes use my computer as VCR...

Frank

Member for

24 years 8 months

Great overview Frank.I think Im going to go ahead with a 1.2mhz athlon and Abit motherboard.Im getting 256mb of RAM automatically with my deal,but may go higher since RAMs so cheap.Im going wait and save up for a really good GeForce card rather than put money in something cheap now.So with my $10 joystick,I should have everything together next week to start learning the basics.Thanks for the link, Hunter,Ill check your squadron out.Ive heard flight sim development is dying down as they dont make as much money as other game software.Ive heard for example Janes software design team all got walking papers,quite a shame.

Member for

24 years 8 months

aviojet,

You may want to try Janes F/A-18, the last title released by them. This is probably the easiest hardcore jet sim out there yet it gives up nothing in depth. Two forthcoming titles may also be of interest, they are SSI's Lock On: Modern Air Combat and IL2 Sturmovik by Maddox Games, both look extremely promising and will probable set the standard within their respective gendres.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Yes, i'm also desperately waiting for L.O.M.A.C. and IL2 !!!
In another style, i also read that a Search And Rescur 3 was planned for 2002. Does anybody have played the precedent ones?

Frank

LAST EDITED ON 29-08-01 AT 01:52 PM (GMT)[p]Regarding RAM, SDRAM is fine and very cheap here at the moment. DDR is seven times the price and you will probably need a new motherboard unless it is fairly new. (Mine is 1 year old and not compatible... but I couldn't/wouldn't afford it anyway... DDR is about $AUS800 per 256MB, whereas I can get 256MB SDRAM for $NZ120. (80 cents AUS = 1 NZ dollar = 40 pence).
If you have large amounts of RAM then things speed up noticably. The fastest HD has a seek time of thousanths of a second, SDRAM has a seek time of Millionths of a second... a thousand times faster. Bottlenecks form on the motherboard so it doesn't actually increase 1,000 times, but the difference is significant and CHEAP. The cheapest and safest way to speed up any machine.
Overclocking a CPU is getting harder and harder. Some new chips don't support over clocking full stop. It will also generate more heat so an improved heat sink or cooling system is required or you won't wear it out (no moving parts...), you'll burn it out.

I have tried Falcon 4 (a budget version with Apache Havoc and M1 Tank platoon II as well). I found the graphics to be very nice, but it took too much space on my HD and although I think the F-16 is pretty, it isn't my first choice. I have bought Mig-29 from Novalogic and quite enjoyed that, but the instruments are just for show and do not work. (In comparison the threat warning display in Apache Havoc is very accurate and displays time to impact, missile type etc using what appears to be the actual Russian system). Also If you want to outfight other aircraft you should use the keyboard (in Mig-29) as although I calibrated my (Saitek X8-36) joystick in windows (win98... I will never beta test for Microsoft without payment...) at maximum pull the aircraft was only pulling about 3gs. Using the arrow keys allowed for more realistic performance (and blackouts ;-)). I had the same problem with Janes WWII fighters. This is also a budget game of good quality, but arrow keys are a must.
Detail quality is very good. (I spent $90 on two Voodoo 2 8MB 3D cards and hooked them up together... it runs Operation Flashpoint fine... BTW I also have a 650Mhz Athlon (only way to go regarding price/performance... esp the new 1.3Ghz chip), but only 64MBs of RAM which will be sorted shortly.)
Also make sure you have a few hundred MB free on your HD for scratch disk space... I am going to buy a 40GB HD for about $NZ350 and put all my games on it.

Frank
If you download the Angelpotion Codec (MPG4) and convert your videos using... say FlaskMpeg (both free) you'd save a lot of space with your vids. Most DVDs are written in MPG2 format... MPG4 has a compression ratio of 11! So a 500MB movie of Jenna Jameson (Frank you naughty boy!!!) in MPG2 will become about a 45MB .avi. (Requires a grunty machine to play, or hardware decompression... I think, as I don't have enough memory to get into it myself... and I've had this nice pioneer x16 DVD ROM for months.

Il-2 looks like it is going to be very good... Front seat or back seat chaps? (gunner or pilot... 7:1 ratio required. ;-()

Member for

24 years 8 months

Garry,
1) i'm not a naughty boy: the videos i take are about aviation. What do you think???? ;-)
2) I use Divx. But... I'm too lazy to burn them on CD :-)
Frank

Member for

24 years 8 months

GarryB-Rather than overclocking a CPU which just is not a healthy thing to do too your computer,I recomend dual/multi processors,which is what servers use,that handle heavy volume.My freind whos building my computer is trying to talk me into getting an ABIT motherboard that supports dual pentiumIIIs for $180.Sounds inticing,but for me thats too fast for regular programs,and Ive heard you need a BSD OS to get the software to take full advantage of the dual processors,and I havent even figured out the linux OS yet.This motherboard also supports RAID (Redundant Array of Indepenent Disks) which separates HD workload too up to 5 HDs for increased speed and memory back up.

Aviojet
RAID is really for servers too. With a 5 disk RAID you don't have 5 disks for information. Any information is spread across and also duplicated over the disks. It speeds things up because you have 5 read write heads working instead of one. It also means if one drive fails or gets trashed the information is available from one of the other disks. Not really such a problem nowdays with HD reliability pretty good.

What I would suggest is cold swappable drive bays. For about $75 NZ you get a couple of racks that you put your existing HD and a new HD in. The best way to show how useful these are is to take the example of my brother. He is a programmer and needs to practise and test things at home. The software he uses on runs in NT4. (They are upgrading it to Win2000, or XP when money is available.) The programming tools he uses are huge, and he needs a lot of space. His existing games which his two girls and he himself use will not run under NT. His current drive is 8GB. He buys the swappable racks and buys a new 75GB HD. On the new HD he installs NT and puts on all his stuff. When the kids use the machine the old HD is placed in the rack in the machine... Win 98, games etc. When my brother needs to do work he shuts down the machine (cold swapable, not hot swappable) pulls the old HD from the rack and puts in the new HD. 75GB and NT operating system. Like buying a second machine, but much cheaper and takes up less space.

Co processors are only as good as the software that use them. Math intensive programs should benefit like ray tracing programs, but you really won't know the difference it makes till you run the software. Servers benefit because they are multi user... if you have fifty users on simultaneously then with two processors it is just like there are only 25... depending on the task each is performing. It certainly won't hurt to have 2 processors. The most powerful computer in NZ at one time used Motorola 68000 chips. (The 7.14Mhz brain of the Amiga 500, and early MacIntosh's. What made it so powerful was there were over 500 CPUs and each was responsible for a 10 x 10 pixel area of the display. (it was for a professional flight simulator.)

Member for

24 years 8 months

Indeed, read isn't of any use for you, except if you have a professional use of it.
For Multiprocessors: yes, NT can hadle it,but the programs should also be coded to use that technology. It is the case of programs like 3DS Max or Photoshop. But not games! So, i'd say that it is a waste of money.

The cold swappable HDD idea is really a good one.

Regards,
Frank