INFORMATION ABOUT SEA HARRIER FA2

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 3 months

Hello to everyone
I need this information
Do you know how many SEA HARRIER FA2 still in service?
I know that the total production was: 54 (18 new and 36 conversion of FRS1)
Can the FA2 launch LGB?
Thank you, to all

Original post

Member for

21 years

Can the FA2 launch LGB?

No current type is able to launch LGBs, but there are some that can drop em :cool:

Sorry, could not resist ;)

Member for

19 years 3 months

hello, and thanks to Flex297 and SteveO

Member for

18 years 11 months

Do you know how many SEA HARRIER FA2 still in service?
I know that the total production was: 54 (18 new and 36 conversion of FRS1)

Less than 30 in inventory?

Member for

24 years 8 months

What is happening to them as they retire? India has said that they don't want them because they feel that their Shars being upgraded with Israeli equipment are enough for their missions.

I know there was talk about Brunei looking at them to form a credible Air Force for this small country, but there has been no word on any deals.

Member for

19 years

Most have been sold off to Everett Aero at Sproughton, some have gone to museums and one went to the fire school. A few are destined for storage at Shawbury.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Anyone know what is going to happen to the Blue Vixen radars? It would be a shame if they went to waste, I think they should be fitted to some of the Tornado F3's

Member for

19 years 1 month

If they were really smart, they'd stick them on the GR9s . At least it'll give the (F)GR9s the ability to launch advanced antiship missles and Amraams something the Sea Harriers boasted until not so long ago. I remember the spanish Matadors had the capability to do that . wonder if they still do

Member for

20 years 6 months

Prowlus,

Unfortunately the GR9's would need to be upgraded with a new fuselage to be radar capable. This is the AV-8B+ upgrade that the Spanish, Italians and USMC have done to their Harrier's.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Prowlus,

Unfortunately the GR9's would need to be upgraded with a new fuselage to be radar capable. This is the AV-8B+ upgrade that the Spanish, Italians and USMC have done to their Harrier's.

Every AV-B+ has a "recycled" APG-65 radar. Personally, I don't see any reason why a Sea Vixen radar wouldn't fit the the AV-B+ nose.

Of course, the odds of the RAF making such a modification are slim to none.

Member for

19 years 9 months

its a shame that a capable aircraft is being retired by one AF while so many others continue to flog old and far less capable beasts..:(..I for one was disappointed when I learnt that the IN was'nt interested in picking these off..would've given the IAF a credible air-defence asset, especially considering the experience they've gained with the type. How do the EL/M-2032 and Blue Vixen match up ? AMRAAMs would'nt have been part of an IN deal anyway, so maybe that was the reason that the IN went in for the Israeli radar and Derby missile upgrade instead of these low-hour F/A-2s.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Harry for one, will know that the IN SHAR squadron, the No.300 White Tigers has gained a formidable reputation. and with the crappy radar and Magic-IIs the SHARs could match-up to far superior MiG-29s in DACT..the F/A-2s would've been a real beast in the hands of White Tiger pilots.

Member for

18 years 11 months

its a shame that a capable aircraft is being retired by one AF while so many others continue to flog old and far less capable beasts..:(..I for one was disappointed when I learnt that the IN was'nt interested in picking these off..would've given the IAF a credible air-defence asset, especially considering the experience they've gained with the type. How do the EL/M-2032 and Blue Vixen match up ? AMRAAMs would'nt have been part of an IN deal anyway, so maybe that was the reason that the IN went in for the Israeli radar and Derby missile upgrade instead of these low-hour F/A-2s.

The F/A-2 supposedly had weight issues. There were proposals for re-engining the F/A-2s, but the decision was made that it was cheaper to scrap the entire fleet air defense capability - until the F-35B comes online in the next decade.

Would the F/A-2 have operational problems in Indian service? I can't answer that question, but the whole issue of weight and hot weather performance preceded the premature retirement of the F/A-2.

I do have a feel that feigned disinterest might be a negotiating ploy.

Member for

19 years 9 months

what was the major upgradation on teh F/A-2 ? the radar right ? how could the radar alone cause weight issues to crop up ?

negotiating ploy ? the IN was pretty much the ONLY customer that could've been a real choice, considering that noone else operated the SHAR at all..so why would they feign disinterest in it to reduce the price ?? if the IN wanted, they could've gotten those F/A-2s for real cheap but they went ahead with the MiG-29K. and more are on the anvil for the ADS as well.

Member for

18 years 11 months

what was the major upgradation on teh F/A-2 ? the radar right ? how could the radar alone cause weight issues to crop up ?

negotiating ploy ? the IN was pretty much the ONLY customer that could've been a real choice, considering that noone else operated the SHAR at all..so why would they feign disinterest in it to reduce the price ?? if the IN wanted, they could've gotten those F/A-2s for real cheap but they went ahead with the MiG-29K. and more are on the anvil for the ADS as well.

The F/A-2 receive the radar upgrade, but the fuselage received a plug aft of the wing. Personally, I suspect there was some weight growth over the published figures - something that is inevitable with every combat aircraft.

I you don't believe that the Indian government is more than willing to "negotiate," consider the long and drawn out negotiations over the 66 BAe Hawks for the AJT requirement - or the Gosrskov/MiG-29K deal.

Member for

19 years 9 months

but there is No requirement for any more fighters for the IN..MiG-29Ks are due to start arriving by 2007. in the meantime, IN SHARs are recieving the EL/M-2032 and Derby combo upgrade..so that in the time that the MiG-29K ramp upto operational numbers, the SHARs carry on. the F/A-2 purchase would've made sense if the IN would've gone in for them earlier..now it makes sense just going in for more MiG-29Ks and waiting for the N-LCA.

Member for

18 years 11 months

but there is No requirement for any more fighters for the IN..MiG-29Ks are due to start arriving by 2007. in the meantime, IN SHARs are recieving the EL/M-2032 and Derby combo upgrade..so that in the time that the MiG-29K ramp upto operational numbers, the SHARs carry on. the F/A-2 purchase would've made sense if the IN would've gone in for them earlier..now it makes sense just going in for more MiG-29Ks and waiting for the N-LCA.

The Russian have certainly set a very aggressive timetable for MiG-29K deliveries. In contrast, India's Israeli sourced Sea Harrier upgrade has been a long, drawn out affair. I'm very much surprised that it's on again.

The newbuilt F/A-2s should have far lower flight hour totals than India's FRS-1s. Ideally, the IN could purchase the entire F/A-2 fleet (minus the "gate guardians" and museum example) for less than an expensive Israeli upgrade of aging airframes.

Of course, the hot weather performance issue remains unanswered. I'd like to believe that the IN's disinterest is motivated by a technical issue, not politics.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Tinwing asked: "Every AV-B+ has a "recycled" APG-65 radar. Personally, I don't see any reason why a Sea Vixen radar wouldn't fit the the AV-B+ nose."

Because, like SteveO posted, EVERY AV-8B+ got a new fuselage that had been designed to take the APG-65 radar, although with a smaller antenna than when it was in the F/A-18A Hornet, thus reducing the radar's effective range.

The Sea Harrier FA.2 also got major fuselage work to fit the Blue Vixen, which is larger in diameter than the Blue Fox was. These specific modifications are only applicable to the AV-8A/C, GR.1/3, Sea Harrier FRS.1, and Matador AV-8S!

Although they are based on the earlier (1970) Harrier design, the AV-8B (and the RAF GR.5/7/9) are a completely different aircraft, as they have a different fuselage, larger wing (greater lift and better use of the vertical thrust), and a new flight-control system! The only specific item they shared with the earlier aircraft was the engine.
The "new" (1980) Harrier can carry ~50% more external payload than the earlier version.

The AV-8B+ (~1990) got a more powerful version of the Pegasus engine, and a re-designed fuselage that was different from the one in the "regular" AV-8B.

Thus, any attempt to fit any A2A radar to the RAF GR.7/9 models would require a new fuselage, and the UK Treasury will not pay for that much work when they are scheduled to be replaced in just a few years.

Member for

19 years

Apparently ZE693, the lastest one to leave Yeovilton, is now displayed in a pub garden in Manchester....

Member for

19 years 9 months

:(