Military 707's

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

The Boeing 707 has been one of the world's most influential military aircraft ever since it first entered service (albeit in KC-135 form) with the USAF during the 1950's. There are many countries represented here from the people on this board. Just about everyone of us has either seen some form of 707 in military colors or we know that our country has them. Just thought it might be interesting to discuss the accomplishments in military service of this great aviation legend. Before I get "corrected" again on differences between KC-135 and 707, let me say this thread is to discuss both. I know all about both aircraft and that the KC-135 is a smaller aircraft than the 707 and everything. The military designation in U.S. service for ACTUAL 707's (as opposed to the C-135), is the C-137. For years, the VC-137 was the President's aircraft, Air Force One. Seems like every issue of AFM I open up, has some picture of some 707 from somewhere doing something. It just amazes me how successful this aircraft has been. Could you call it THE most successful jet airliner in history? Anyway, I'd appreciate some good feedback. Also, if you know of 707's (or their C-135 relatives) that are used in some role in any country that most people don't know about, please tell us about it. I love to learn new things. Thanks.

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: Military 707's

i think it a very heavily used airplane and has been done so very sucsesfully in so many AFs world wide.

i was looking yesterday on the net at chile, who have one as a tanker and one as an awacs (IAI phalcon). in loads of airforces verywhere you will find one of these aircrfats and they are still being brought - eg turkey, singapore and france have brought "new" kc-135R which have new engines, can refuel off others, etc

a great airplane.

though its replacemnt in l lthese airforces is very intresting - airbus a310, boeing 767 (?), etc

rabie :9

Member for

24 years 8 months

Rabie, has anyone ever told you that your grammar and such on this forum is very bad. Mainly the punctuation. Lol. Anyway, regarding the 707, I gotta agree with ya. I hate to think of the 707 being replaced.

Member for

24 years 8 months

my grammer and spelling is terible mainly because i don't look at what i'm typing, i can't spell any way, i never look over what i type, i'm often drinking or watching tv or reading other websites at once, etc. on the other hand you have people who don't speak english who write in technical english all the time (eg geforce 1000+ posts) who i greatly admire - while i think my writting is complete shite.

LOL

so i think that nowadays military users have two options to look at for 707 replacement which leads to some real competion and therefore really intresting.

IMHO its really intresting to see what the israelis have done to their 707s and the chileans and south africans.

rabie :9

Member for

24 years 8 months

I know that israel and south africa use their 707's in both AAR and EW roles in one airframe.As the airframe is big enough , I think it's an effective force multipier.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. The good thing about the 707 is that the airframe is very adaptable as has been demonstrated, by the USAF in particular. Anyone know what the status of the Navy's fleet of E-6 TACAMO (Take Command and Move Out) aircraft are?

E-6's are still in service with the U.S. Navy. As a matter of fact the U.S. Air Force Looking Glass command post are being retired and the role is being taken over by the E-6. I believe they still fly out of Tinker AFB?

Member for

24 years 8 months

I didn't know the Looking Glass was being retired. Also, what is the latest E-6 variant?