Canards and cannon on Eurofighter Typhoon

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

(If this subject is discussed before, please bump me to the appropriate thread in this forum.)

I just re-read the Eurofighter Typhoon booklet that came with a recent issue of AFM or Air Internatinal.

The Mauser BK-27 27 mm cannon, with only 150 rounds, on the Typhoon is apparently mounted at the right wing root. When the Typhoon is manoeuvring and rotating its canards, doesn't the right canard block the line-of-fire of the cannon?

Original post

Member for

20 years 10 months

It could hit itself in full deflection mode when acting as airbrake. I haven't seen any data about the max deflection used in flight. Some aircraft with canards use full deflection during flight, others not. Due to the Eurofighter being a long canard it will tend to use less deflection. Anyway, in a situation with full deflected canard the Eurofighter won't make a stable gun platform.

Member for

20 years 11 months

so probably there's a mechanism that stops the gun when the canards are deflected. do remember they made interrupter gear 90 years ago...

Member for

19 years 8 months

wd1
wasnt this inerrrupter mechanissim first introduced by Germans during first world war so to avoid pilot shooting off its planes own propellers?

I just cant remember the name of that aircraft :confused:

regds

Member for

24 years 8 months

I can't image the Eurofighter using full deflection in any offensive manouvre. That would create some pretty nasty g's.

Member for

21 years 1 month

wd1
wasnt this inerrrupter mechanissim first introduced by Germans during first world war so to avoid pilot shooting off its planes own propellers?

I just cant remember the name of that aircraft :confused:

Fokker E.1 (Eindecker)

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum

Member for

24 years 8 months

Fokker E.1 (Eindecker)

Fokker built the first truely effective interruptor (he made the design overnight), but it was based on a rather cruel French design captured by the Germans when French pilot Roland Garros (yep, the guy who got a tennis court named after him*) made an emergency landing after German lines. His system was to add steel wedges on the props which deflected bullets that would otherwise shoot off the prop. The Germans initially tried that as well, but since their bullets were harder (steel versus copper? Not sure) than the French ones, the wedges didn't work for them.

* = Garros didn't play tennis. His sport of choice was rugby.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Just wanted to say what Arthur said, just without that tennis bit. ;)

Member for

20 years 11 months

Fokker built the first truely effective interruptor (he made the design overnight), but it was based on a rather cruel French design captured by the Germans when French pilot Roland Garros (yep, the guy who got a tennis court named after him*) made an emergency landing after German lines. His system was to add steel wedges on the props which deflected bullets that would otherwise shoot off the prop. The Germans initially tried that as well, but since their bullets were harder (steel versus copper? Not sure) than the French ones, the wedges didn't work for them.

* = Garros didn't play tennis. His sport of choice was rugby.

yep, that's the story. although it also goes that Garros' emergency landing was due to engine failure - and this unreliability was due to the extreme propellor vibrations caused by the bullet impacts on the steel wedges. these vibrations were transmitted down the crankshaft to the engine, where they caused damage and unreliability that eventually made the engine quit.

so Fokker's design was indeed the first really effective one.

I remember a time when the MoD proposed the Typhoon not having a cannon fitted. I'm really glad that it has one - it would be insane if it didn't.

Member for

21 years

WRT canards, on fighters with canards (Eurofighter Typhoon, F-15 S/MTD, J-10, Kfir, et al), do both canards always deflect at the same angle?
Or, as the flight control software continually optimises the aerodynamic parameters, will the canards deflect at different angles?

WRT cannon, how's the firing rate of the BK-27?
150 rounds are enough for how many seconds?

(IMO as an A-10 fan, 150 cannon rounds don't sound like a lot.)

Member for

20 years 8 months

The canards of the Kfir don't deflect at all.

Member for

21 years 1 month

WRT cannon, how's the firing rate of the BK-27?
150 rounds are enough for how many seconds?

(IMO as an A-10 fan, 150 cannon rounds don't sound like a lot.)

5.3 seconds worth, to be precise. This is fairly standard for a modern fighter. The A-10 is exceptional in its ammo capacity but then its gun was designed for heavy use as a major part of the weapon systems, each tank target requiring a fairly long burst of fire starting at around 2,000m range. Fighter guns are last-ditch weapons, used in very short bursts of probably no more than 0.5 secs each.