RAN Sea King crash

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 9 months

Just saw on tellie - Royal Australian Navy Sea King (side number 02) crashed in Indonesia. 7 crew are dead, 2 are injured. The helo was invovled in disaster relief operations.

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

Well it's good that someone put this up!

It was actually nine dead and two injured, 7 males and two females: 1 Army, 3 RAAF and 5 RAN.

All were making an afternoon run in Nias on disaster relief ops. This was their second sortie for the day, three days previously they were just off Singapore on their way home when the parent ship (HMAS Kanimbla) was turned around to head back to Indonesian waters for further disaster reflief ops.

This has now shown both the advanced age of the Seaking in RAN service- meaning that the MRH-90 program will now be accelerated, and just who stretched our defence force really is. With any luck (and a mirical that our PM grows a brain), we should see a return home of some troops in non essential fighting (and by non essential I mean Iraq and Afghanistan- those countries have no significance to Australia at all)!

It should also be noted that Seaking 02 was the most photographed bird in the RAN, closely followed by 07 and 20

Here's a pic of 02 and 07 on the Carrier Melbourne (R-21) back in 1980
http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/helicopters/seaking.jpg

Member for

20 years 1 month

I was there in 1980 on the "War Canoe"..

Member for

24 years 8 months

woohoo another RAN type, stacks on mate ;)

Which war canoe? Steel Cat? I did a run up the top end in her in 97.