Naval LCA- VTOL capability

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 6 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-03-02 AT 05:29 AM (GMT)]Hey guys,
Did anyone know that the Naval version of the LCA was going to be a VTOL one. Looks like India is seeking US help in this matter. Dont know why they want to do that based on their previous experience.The Russians would be a better bet. Yakalov has some experience in this.More than teh US I think.

US mulls Indian proposal for Naval LCA ties

PTI [ WEDNESDAY, MARCH 06, 2002 7:14:15 PM ]

EW DELHI: Following up on the Indo-US cooperation for the country's Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) project, the United States on Wednesday agreed to "actively consider" New Delhi's fresh proposals for a partnership on the development of the Naval Variant of the LCA.Read this story in...

Hindi

"India has proposed to us cooperation in developing the Naval variant of the LCA," Alan Volknan, visiting Director international cooperation of the US Department of Defence said. "We have told them we will actively consider this," he said.

Heading a 12-member team for the two-day meeting of the Indo-US Joint Technical Group on Defence production and research which concluded here, Volknan said the two countries had agreed on a draft "milestone" acquisition and servicing agreement, which would pave the way for Indian military purchases from the United States.

He said the agreement would also enhance US-India military "Interoperability" and lead to closer relationships between defence Labs in the two countries.

Elaborating on the proposal for development of the Naval Variant of the LCA, highly placed DRDO officials said New Delhi required "US knowhow" particularly in developing Vertical Take off and Landing (VTOL) technology.

Original post

Member for

24 years 6 months

RE: Naval LCA- VTOL capability

Well A VTOL LCA seems higly unlikely for me. Given the problems with the conventional variant (Kaveri engine etc.) and the small size of the plane I doubt that you can make it VTOL. The installation of a liftfan would reduce fuel capacity a lot and a solution on like on the AV-8 requires another engine design.
The LCA is a nice lttle fighter but it will never get VTOL.

Member for

24 years 6 months

I doubt it will be a VTOL version.....i think the Indian Navy will plane to operate it from shore bases only.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Incorrect.The naval LCA is planned for deployment aboard the ADS.VTOL sounds incredibly..well...unrealistic and even funny though it's a relishable thought.However,the Kaveri engine is quite modifiable and the Kabini core only needs a slight mod for TVC.I could IMAGINE vectoring nozzles as in the Harrier being somewhat effective given the small size and light weight of the aircraft.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Harry is right. VTOL is a stretch! How much more time do they want to spend on developing the LCA, and how much more money?

Improving STOL performance would be more realistic, canards, TVC nozzle etc.

Regards, Glenn.