Indian Ocean Tidal Wave

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

Does anybody know if NAVSUPPFACDG was affected by the tidal wave? Was it worse than 1983? Any B-52 washed into the sea? At the Maledives the wave was up to 6m (20ft) high.

Original post

Member for

21 years 2 months

Indian AF base @ Greater Nicobar Island was hit pretty badly. 10 personnel were killed there.
________
Starcraft 2 Replay Desync

Member for

24 years 5 months

Only Diego Garcia-based websites i can find still running are the Navy meteo site at https://207.133.112.31/ (doesn't mention anything), and a wireless company (at http://www.cwnetdg.io/ but nothing interesting there either).

Nothing on af.mil yet either.

Member for

21 years 1 month

I hope all our east Asian friends here are ok...

Member for

19 years 8 months

Some 1000 people in Indias Car Nicobar island chain are reported dead.

Another 3000 deaths in the coastal Indian state of Tamil Nadu reported

These are the present estimates. Damn rescue services are in a state of shock.

WTF, who would have thought that a freaking earthquake off the Indonesian coast would massacre so many. :(

What a lousy, tragic day.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Offcially over 4300 dead over here in Sri-Lanka...... 1 mil affected........but nobody still knows the true toll......some villages in the south and east are still un-accounted for.... the final toll maybe shocking :( :( :(

About the SL military......

The trincomalee Naval base of the SLN was submerged..........some reports say upto 8 feet of water..........do not know the damage to naval vessels

I got info that as much as 8 army camps in the east were destroyed.......one report stated.....280 soldiers from one camp had dissapeared and its commanding officer and son reported dead.....

Trincomalee habour was completely submerged........the Colombo and Galle Habours were also affected.........

We don't know how the Tigers have been affected.....

:( :( :(

Felt like crying at times....saw some shocking stuff on local TV..........never thought something like this would happen here in my life time............Dunno how our country is going to recover from this........

Member for

20 years 10 months

Condolences, Hyperwarp. To me, you are like a Chinese comrade here. I'm stunned and deeply sadden by what have happened to Sri Lanka and the other nations caught in this tragedy.

This has affected people across Asia and I hope we as a continent could come together afterwards.

Member for

24 years 5 months

Where was the epicenter of the quake?

Member for

19 years 11 months

This tidal must be a major blow to the SL military...naval bases and stuff...

Member for

21 years 2 months

Where was the epicenter of the quake?

Off the coast of Sumatra.
________
Black amateur videos

Member for

20 years

Sri Lanka has asked for help from India and the US, heavy rains are being predicted for the region and there are more than a million displaced, many fresh water reservoirs have been polluted with salt water, what a calamity.

Member for

24 years 5 months

Any one have any more on the IAF base in the Nicobars? Initial new reports said that the base had been washed away. Any one have any idea what kind of aircraft were positioned there.
I am in my home town and I live by a river which flows out into the sea not far away. I saw a real live mini tasunami yesterday flodding the river and over flowing the backs.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Got SMS news, initially that atleast 10,000 ppl have been killed :-(, you know, It's such a shocking natural disaster. Condolences.

Xanadu, stay safe and tc.

Member for

20 years 9 months

23 killed in Car Nicobar island, IAF base washed away
The entire Indian Air Force base in Car Nicobar island has been virtually washed away by Tsunami waves with 23 air force personnel and their family members being killed, IAF Chief Air Marshal S Krishnaswamy said.

Member for

24 years 5 months

Death toll has risen now to 20,000, as of this moment...

Member for

24 years 5 months

Contrary to media reports - CarNic Air Force Station is NOT completely destroyed. It has been physically battered and about a 100 out of the 1000 personnel and their families are either killed or missing. According to the Air Chief's interview, the officers quarters were the worst hit as they were near the waterfront. The base has been now made active and the runway is currently operational and taking in relief flights. Evacuations and Supply missions are being carried out even as we speak.

Member for

24 years 5 months

Only Diego Garcia-based websites i can find still running are the Navy meteo site at https://207.133.112.31/ (doesn't mention anything), and a wireless company (at http://www.cwnetdg.io/ but nothing interesting there either).

Nothing on af.mil yet either.

Picked this up on a politcal forum:

'Diego Garcia
My son

Posted on 12/27/2004 3:59:26 AM PST

They are all FINE on Diego Garcia, the quake wasn't even felt. My son is stationed there and we recieved an email from him last night. This is also a small bit of information that may help us all understand why a tsunami most likely (never say never) could hit there.

Diego Garcia is at the top of the Chagos Trench located just to our east (hence the island chain name of Chagos Archipelago). This trench is very deep and the steepness of the grade from the trench to the top of the island does not allow tsunamis to build up before they were to come on shore.'

TJ

Member for

24 years 5 months

They were trying to land an An-32 at the Car Nicobar base yesterday.

Incidentally, was driving along the beach road (East Coast Road) when this happened. Barring the displacement of people, physical damage did'nt seem like much until the casualties became apparent.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Providence

I was staying a couple of km from the beach in Chennai.
Had sailing lessons scheduled for the day . Fortunately all lessons are in the afternoon. Otherwise would have been
out at sea on a 25 footer with an instructor. Sailing club
is a mess though, we will clean up once we are let in.
It is 200 feet from the waterline, so probably most of it
got trashed.

Chennai is a mess on the coastline, but the damage should get cleaned. Enough rescue services. Sad to see joggers
and kids playing on the beach just vanish in the blink
of an eye.

Member for

19 years 7 months

sorry to hear about all of this, at times like these its good to see neighbours help each other out though, my thoughts with the families...

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/041227/kyodo/d87807n82.html

Pakistan ships rescue 300 foreigners, locals in Maldives

(Kyodo) _ Two Pakistan Navy ships have rescued nearly 300 foreign tourists and locals in the Maldives after the low-lying islands were hit by tsunamis caused by a massive earthquake on Sunday, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said Monday.
The Navy ship Tariq and the logistic support vessel Mast were on a goodwill visit to the Maldives when the tsunamis hit, Masood Khan told a weekly briefing.

Khan said that upon learning of the calamity, the ship's captain offered help in search and rescue operations and was able to rescue nearly 300 foreigners and locals on an island about 100 kilometers west of the capital city of Male.

Pakistani vessels and helicopters are taking part in rescue and relief operations in the Maldives at the request of the government there, he said.