Rafale: Active Radar Cancellation

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

Supposedly Rafale uses active radar cancellation technique to keep it self hidden from the enemy radar. The techniques works by adding out-of-phase pulses to pulses emanating from enemy radar. Technically it is very challenging task, it requires that phase of impinging pulses be estimated very precisley (other wise constructive interference may result, making plane more visible than other wise it is). Precise Phase estimation would be very difficult due to
a) No information regarding the arriving pulses is available
b) Channel is wireless adding further probelms
c) Because of the high velocity of the aircrafts doppler spread may be very high.

Any comments

Any comments

Original post

Member for

21 years 5 months

Hi,

Does anyone know the origin of the "Rafale uses active cancellation" story?
Did Dassault ever issue a statement about that?
Maybe I should read more, but I don't recall seeing "active cancellation" mentioned anywhere else than on this board.

Cheers, Transall.

Member for

24 years 8 months

It was mentioned as a possible DGA (General direction of weaponary) project but dassault did not market it.

A lot of work with ONERA and DGA is underway, like thrust vectoring, plasma aerodynamics etc...

But thoses studies are simulated essentialy.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Although I haven't worked in radar for quite a long time, and nothing is impossible, from what I remember of the most advanced radar technology I worked with, it would be extremely difficult to do this and probably not cost-effective.

Member for

20 years 3 months

heres what i got upon googling.......

list of sites mentioning "active radar cancellation" for the RAFALE

and i did not find anything official in all those sites....... :D

just speculation....

but I don't recall seeing "active cancellation" mentioned anywhere else than on this board.

Transall, you will find any and every thing on this board :D

heres a gem :D via an EX posters Cousin :D

GEM :D

Member for

21 years 1 month

As Nirav said, nthing official about it.

In Fact, the problem is that an engineer from Thales said a word about it and Thales refused to said anything more AND after that interview has never spoken of that feature so that some "experts" thought that it was the sign that Thales decide to stay quiet about it because they fear to leak important information and to avoid attracting attention.

That how I see the whole story.