Some numbers for the APG-63(V)2

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

What is the closest Russian analogue?

-3,600 T/R Elements, in 'brick' modules, with each element less < 1 square inch.
-Can detect cruise-missile sized target at 50 nautical miles
-714 hours MTBF
-Still limited FoV, mainly forward hemisphere only. Assuming that everything in your rear is covered by friendlies.
-Extremely heavy; the radar weighs about 400 lbs and requires an additional 600 lbs of lead ballast added into the tail of the F-15 to prevent the nose from tipping over. However, the upcoming V3 radar should be about 240 lbs lighter.

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

RE: Some numbers for the APG-63(V)2

> google
> Can detect cruise-missile sized target at 50 nautical miles
At what altitude is that from? The F-14A's AWG-9 could do this from 20,000 feet. It could not lock-on at this altitude, it would have to get closer or lower its altitude. That way the reflection from the target and the reflection from the background is a greater percentage of the travel time.

> 714 hours MTBF
That is a very good figure.

> Extremely heavy; the radar weighs about 400 lbs
Are you sure that is pounds and not kilograms? The radar for the F-16A weighed only 260 pounds! The AWG-9 for the F-14A weighed almost 1,200 pounds!
I would suspect it is kilograms because the USAF/NORAD seriously studied the possible usage of a AWG-9 to give the F-15 interceptors a greater capability.
The studied showed the F-14 would be the best interceptor in the late 1970's and early 1980's. The study done by the North Dakota Air National Guard indicated that the best interceptor to replace the F-106 are listed in the following order;
1) F-14A Tomcat
2) F-15A Eagle
3) F-4 Phantom 2 (SEE NOTE)
4) F-16A Fighting Falcon

NOTE:
Actually, the F-4 was the new version with active LEX, the radar for the F/A-18A and, other modifications.

Notice the F/A-18A was not included in this list!

The study concluded that a F-15 modified to carry two AIM-54A Phoenix Missiles would have less range and or loiter time than a F-14A with six Phoenix Missiles.

Adrian

Member for

20 years 8 months

3,600 T/R Elements, in 'brick' modules, with each element less < 1 square inch.

T/R Elements = T/R Modules..??? Is it so?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Google, are you sure about the figure for T/R modules? That's way more than the (2000 element) APG-77 or the 1100 (element) AN/APG-79. I thought that it was really 1500 elements.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Google, are you sure about the figure for T/R modules? That's way more than the (2000 element) APG-77 or the 1100 (element) AN/APG-79. I thought that it was really 1500 elements.

Pretty sure, I skimmed the info from an article, let me go back and recheck it.

Member for

20 years 8 months

wait a minute! The shipborne APAR has only 3500 modules.....and the AN/APG-63(V)2 has 3600??? :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek:

Member for

24 years 8 months

Not the serials, but...

The only operational unit to fly with the F-15C/APG-63(V2), is the 12FS with 27 machines allocated (the odd number being of course for it's pretty unique machines) from the 3rd Wing. How to tell them apart from their non-AESA brethren from the 19FS (also 3Wg)? The fintip - 12FS has yellow, 19FS has got black fintips.

Here is a 12FS machine, courtesy of Maurice Hendriks.
http://www.scramble.nl/mil/3/usaf/gfx/photos/ak-f15.jpg

The Cope India pics i have seen all show black fintips - so no AESA.

Member for

19 years 11 months

The Cope India pics i have seen all show black fintips - so no AESA.

I read that only now is the APG-63(V)2 receiving software to include the usual air-to-air modes, and that until now it was only capable of the anti-cruise missile mission against non-maneuvering targets. Wouldn't expect to see them at Cope India for this reason at least.

-SK

Member for

21 years 4 months

according to the aviation week article, there's only 18 aircraft with AESA, not 27. And they are divided into 9 AESA aircraft per squadron ie, the 19th and 12th squadron each has 9 AESA and another 9 V1 equipped aircraft.

Member for

24 years 8 months

YF,
I think the initial setup was indeed two squadrons with half the fleet AESA-equipped, and the other half vanilla F-15Cs. But when a third batch of AESAs was delivered (9+9+9), the machines were appearantly concentrated in 12FS.

Member for

21 years 4 months

YF,
I think the initial setup was indeed two squadrons with half the fleet AESA-equipped, and the other half vanilla F-15Cs. But when a third batch of AESAs was delivered (9+9+9), the machines were appearantly concentrated in 12FS.

A third batch? THe aviation week article i got the info from was very recent. Just last week in fact. They made no mention of another batch. 18 AESAs were the stated number. And from the way they operated as was described in the article, it makes far more sense to put the third batch as u said in another squadron, instead of concentrating all in 1 squadron. Care to provide Ur source? Thanks.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Would have to dig for my source - it's been a while since i read about batch 3 and centralising them all in 12FS.

There are only two F-15C/D squadrons in 3FW, by the way. Putting a third batch in yet another squadron would mean that a new wing (and hence a new base) would be getting AESAs. While i seem to recall that combining the AESAs in one squadron would help that.

Member for

21 years 4 months

Only 2 squadrons in the wing? That I didn't know.... but from the Aviation week article, their mode of operations was to pair up a non-AESA with an AESA, with the wingman taking the non-AESA. Then the AESA would perform look down scanning due to its better clutter differentiating capability, while the V1 scans above. After sanitising the bottom, the AESA would devote some time to scan the skies above along with the V1. That seems like a pretty good use of the AESAs, instead of concentrating ALL on one squadron, leaving the other purely a V1 squadron.

Member for

24 years 8 months

3Wing (not Fighter Wing, sorry) has more than just the two air defence Eagle squadrons though:

3Wg, Elmendorf AFB
12 FS - F-15C(V2) - yellow
19 FS - F-15C/D - black
90 FS - F-15E - red
517 AS - C-12F, C-12J, C-130H - white
962AACS - E-3B/C - green

Member for

20 years 9 months

So only 17 AESA equipped F-15s ?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Either 18 or 27.