As part of its drive to explore potential 'transformational'
technologies, the
US Navy (USN) is rekindling efforts to develop and field
directed-energy weapons
(DEW) at sea - including the possible deployment of high-energy laser
(HEL)
weapons aboard submarines.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Also Star Wars Episode Two was finally released, the timing is a little too scarey :/

Leave no-one behind!

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: USN focuses again on directed-energy weapons

This will be a technical enterprise, using lasers as weapons need a very stable platform, and a submarine es even more unstable than a normal ship.

Ummm, don´t make you remember the Philadelphia Experiment?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Subs are very stable, well under the surface anyway!

As for the P.E., I think you're getting of the track abit there.

Leave no-one behind!

Member for

24 years 8 months

The US military has almost given up on laser weapons as currently microwave weapons have better performance's within the atmosphere.

Member for

24 years 8 months

huh? where you hear that the US has given up on energy weapons, at least not from what i hear

Member for

24 years 8 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-05-02 AT 12:12 PM (GMT)]I meant that they had given up on Laser weapons to focus on Microwave weapons. I read it on a USN white paper. I found it on one of the USN websites.

It focused on a laser weapon that was built for the navy in the late 1980's (its now currently called the TALID, that one thats based in Israel). It stated that with current tech levels it difficult to build a directed energy weapon small enough to fit on board a USN super carrier (even though there like the biggest military ships ever built) due to the size & mass of the weapon & its power generator. Plus laser weapons don't propagate within atmosphere very well which is why there focusing on microwave weapons to a greater extent that laser's. It said that they expect the USN to deploy an operation directed energy weapon onboard a carrier by 2020.

Member for

24 years 8 months

No offence but I think you guys have been watching too many Star Trek Episodes. Next you'll be saying the USAF is planing to cloak its fighters and planning on becoming fluent in Klingon!!! :7

Member for

24 years 8 months

>No offence but I think you guys have been watching too many
>Star Trek Episodes. Next you'll be saying the USAF is
>planing to cloak its fighters and planning on becoming
>fluent in Klingon!!! :7

Alas for all non-belivers goto this site :)

http://www.trw.com/marketplace/main/0,1151,39_1541_135_210^4^210^210,FF.html

(I got the name wrong its called the THEL i was thinking of something else sorry).

Member for

24 years 8 months

THEL was the US-Israeli name, but it did originate from another US program. THEL was more of a demonstrator that the Israelis want to use as a basis for their system to protect against short ranged SSMs, but the US is using that simply to see feasibility for a even more compact and better system. As to not fitting on a supercarrier, humm...last time i've heard, a supercarrier isn't smaller than a 747. Wait, not even a Frigate is smaller than a 747. What haven't been demonstrated is against highly manuevering targets and high rate shots. The ABL uses CO2 lasers which i believe is on the orders of tens of microns in wavelength, basically IR lasers. As it turns out the world's first X-ASER was microwave based called MASER, so i think it has more to do with confusing jargons than the USN giving up "directed" energy weapons. I mean, simply put, what is "directed" energy weapons. A magnifying glass burning an ant is directed energy even though it's not purely a "LASER". so what's all this? It should be under a broad category of using focused EM wave as weapons. Philadelphia project, true or not, is a shield not a dagger.

Member for

24 years 8 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-05-02 AT 11:13 PM (GMT)]>THEL was the US-Israeli name, but it did originate from
>another US program. THEL was more of a demonstrator that
>the Israelis want to use as a basis for their system to
>protect against short ranged SSMs, but the US is using that
>simply to see feasibility for a even more compact and better
>system. As to not fitting on a supercarrier, humm...last
>time i've heard, a supercarrier isn't smaller than a 747.
>Wait, not even a Frigate is smaller than a 747. What
>haven't been demonstrated is against highly manuevering
>targets and high rate shots. The ABL uses CO2 lasers which
>i believe is on the orders of tens of microns in wavelength,
>basically IR lasers. As it turns out the world's first
>X-ASER was microwave based called MASER, so i think it has
>more to do with confusing jargons than the USN giving up
>"directed" energy weapons. I mean, simply put, what is
>"directed" energy weapons. A magnifying glass burning an
>ant is directed energy even though it's not purely a
>"LASER". so what's all this? It should be under a broad
>category of using focused EM wave as weapons. Philadelphia
>project, true or not, is a shield not a dagger.

X-rays and microwaves are two completely different things and operate at different area's of the electromagnetic spectrum. If i remember my GCSE physics correctly. An x-ray laser is (i think) not possible with our current technology. We've barely been able to produce blue wavelength lasers (there is a reason why the most common laser you see is coloured red :) )

Wavelengths (i think) determine how far the beam will travel within an atmosphere (vertically not horonzionatly). However the wavelength attained is made 3 times more difficult (the need to correctly produce stimulated emission) the progressivly the shorter the wavelength. As microwaves have a much longer wavelength (i think) there easier to produce (for some reason). So a red laser would travel a smaller distance than a green based laser for the same power output. As microwaves don't have this atmospheric problem they should produce better results than would lasers given our current technology.

A chemical based laser weapon (the ABL laser) is (probably) a lot less powerful due to the need for having a chemical that produces enough energy to sustain the laser proergration whilist being safe enough (im guessing now) so that it doesn't blow up. It also probably results in a weaker beam than would a static laser (one which uses a electrical power continuellly) which would in the carriers case be fed by its nuclear power plant. All you really need to create a laser beam is power. Better quality materials will produce a more efficent laser but just to create a stimulated emmission you need power and lots of it.

Assuming that the "not being able to build one on a CVN" story is true it is because there is not enough power outputed from even a nuclear powerplant to sustain a battlefield grade weapon.

Member for

24 years 8 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-05-02 AT 06:09 AM (GMT)]Not really, more problems on your assumptions there. First of all, "red" lasers, or most likely HeliumNeons are easy and cheap to make...that's why it's the favorite laboratory/acadmeic laser demonstrator. I believe you've remembered wrong as to the Laser wavelengths. Getting something like 200nm is rather easy today, and as you know that's way beyond "blue", that's UV. In fact, even someone not too proficient in lasers like me knows that there are lasers in use that's in the 100nm range. But, getting a "Solid State" laser, or laser "diodes" in the "blue" spectrum is not yet attainable, that's true. Blue laser DIODES are only available in laboratory settings. Those UV lasers mentioned above use 3rd or 4th or maybe even higher harmonics. As to the ABL, it's CO2 laser in the MegaWatt range. I don't think it's straight forwardly the powersupply problem. The powersupply problem can be fixed by using energy storage methods...ie batteries, capacitors, and inductors. These are used in fusion drives, Tokahmaks (spelling?), so shouldn't be a problem there. So, in my opinion, the powersupply is a minor problem. Others such as Optics for that kind of power and wavelength is probably the most problemsome.

". As to the ABL, it's CO2 laser in the MegaWatt range. I don't think it's straight forwardly the powersupply problem. "

The ABL has many problems... most obvious with regard to a naval system is rate of fire and total number of shots it can fire before it needs a complete overhaul and 'reloading'.
Other problems for a surface based system is that a missile will always outrange it and a missile with an active seeker is not restricted by the visual horison.
During a monsoon the ABLs range is measured in metres, not km. and few antagonistic countries are going to base ballistic missiles within 400km of their border if they can help it. Unless you intel is unfallible you would need 24hr 7 day a week ABL coverage to stop a launch... which might be a satellite launch for all you know.
Plus 747s are easier to shoot down than most aircraft.

Member for

24 years 8 months

what are you talking about Garry...are you taking weeds now? }> Three are no clouds up there for ABL. It was meant to track and attack missiles that just break cloud cover. It's also meant to be used with air superiority in mind and still not really in enemy territory unless when necessary, just like when tankers are sometimes required to venture into enemy air spaces. Please, it's going to hurt your credibility when you talk like that. If you have reasonable critiques, fine, but monsoon season? You sure you can fire SSMs during monsoon reason, theoretically yes, but i haven't heard any tests being done during a storm on purpose. The next thing that might happen is the controls getting overpowered by gust. A naval ABL system would be ideal for point defense anti-air or high altitude attacks. Maybe even shore bombardment much later into the future. It obviously can't bend around the curvature.

"Three are no clouds up there for ABL. It was meant to track and attack missiles that just break cloud cover."

Yes, the North Koreans are going to let the US fly a 747 to within 20km of their bases for their ballistic missiles... just like the chinese are.
As you point out the Earth is curved... the atmosphere also curves with it. The ABL will probably be fired from near maximum range simply because the targets it is after will not be on the front line but several hundred kms behind it. What if there is a storm between the 747 and the launch site? How high do clouds go?

"It's also meant to be used with air superiority in mind and still not really in enemy territory unless when necessary, just like when tankers are sometimes required to venture into enemy air spaces."

Any use in air to air will be purely self defence.. if I remember correctly the ABL is capable of only about 15-20 shots before it needs its chemicals replaced. All of the documents I have read have stated that its capability is focused on maintaining a beam of laser energy on one point on the surface of an ICBM to fatally weaken it... holding a laser beam on part of an aircraft for 5-10 seconds... if it is possible will merely weaken a structurally unimportant part (ie the skin). Unless you use it as a blinding weapon and violate a few agreements the US has signed.

"Please, it's going to hurt your credibility when you talk like that."

I love it when people suggest I have credibility... It goes straight to my head... :-)

"If you have reasonable critiques, fine, but monsoon season? You sure you can fire SSMs during monsoon reason, theoretically yes, but i haven't heard any tests being done during a storm on purpose."

Indeed there is risk... much as there is risk in flying at night, yet the US forces believe they have an advantage in night fighting and they ususally try to take on opponents at night. Quite sound with regard to tactics.... Of course if your enemy has a 747 that has a laser that is designed to shoot down your ICBMs you are only going to contemplate using your ICBMs on fine sunny days... in fact you might even consider moving the launch site to the coast to make it easier. Just like you wouldn't waste any time with decoys...

"The next thing that might happen is the controls getting overpowered by gust."

Indeed it would be a risk... much better to not bother building ICBMs at all and just capitulate to whatever the US wants... }>...

"A naval ABL system would be ideal for point defense anti-air or high altitude attacks."

No it wouldn't.
Even laser beam riding missiles like the SA-19 when used as the basis for naval weapons are converted to radar guided... simply because sea spray can interfere with the beam.

"Maybe even shore bombardment much later into the future. It obviously can't bend around the curvature"

You accuse me of smoking weed????

Now you are winding me up aren't you...

Member for

24 years 8 months

Air superiority in mind, meaning the US fighters can achieve air superiority where the ABL is flying, isn't it obvious i mean that? Didn't i said earlier that it wasn't proven that the ABL can destroy manuevering targets. I thought that was obvious.(however, i don't think there's a problem there, it's 1MW of radiation man! After seeing people punching through tungstin with a much much lower power laser, somehow i think that's pretty scarry). As to salt sprays? Huh? you don't mean salt sprays, but the evaporation of water vapour with heavy salt concentration (not spray, but evaporation) would create a unstable layer of varying density. But, just like ABL, there are ways of getting around that. As to clouds? humm...i've never noticed clouds above the 747-400 on trans pacific flights...infact, clouds are way way down there.

"isn't it obvious i mean that? "

No, it wasn't, but now you have cleared up that misunderstanding.

"however, i don't think there's a problem there, it's 1MW of radiation man! "

The energy released is not important... the sun puts out a trillion times more than that...

"After seeing people punching through tungstin with a much much lower power laser,... "

Yes, I have seen a hand held surgical laser burn through a phone book in less than a second but doing the same thing 100m away let alone 10km+ is much much harder. It is called our atmosphere and it is a B!tch for light or wavelengths near light... that is why stars seem to twinkle.

"As to salt sprays? Huh? you don't mean salt sprays, but the evaporation of water vapour with heavy salt concentration (not spray, but evaporation) would create a unstable layer of varying density. "

No, I mean salt Spray... a Sea Skua or a Sunburn coming in at 3m off the wave tops might be the target.

"As to clouds? humm...i've never noticed clouds above the 747-400 on trans pacific flights...infact, clouds are way way down there. "

Yes, aircraft are not diverted around storms.. that is just make believe, but lets ignore high altitude cloud for a few moments.

Lets take North Korea as our problem country. (They are the smallest of the "Evil empires" created by the Bush administration and therefore they have borders closer to any launch site they might use for an ICBM... they are the easiest targets for ABL).

If you care to look at a map there is only airspace over south Korea and international airspace where the ABL could fly... simply because Japan is too far away and China is hardly likely to allow a US anti missile system in their airspace.
Just looking at potential places for the ABL to fly, the first thing you have to do is eliminate all of the places in or near NK and Chinese airspace. To be effective the ABL must be on station 24/7 during conflict and during peace... during peace it cannot fly over NK or chinese airspace.
I think it would be pretty safe to say that the 400km range would be required and used in most instances.
Draw a straight line 400km long on a globe. Using the scale you can determine how high to lift one end for the ABL.
Use a ruler to represent the beam... which will of course be straight.
I think you will find that even if the target is quite high that the laser will pass quite close to the ground.
Unless the 747 used for the ABL is a new stealth design it will be seen continuously flying circuits.

Member for

24 years 8 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 31-05-02 AT 01:56 AM (GMT)]You are really really losing me Garry, salt sprays of an approaching sea skimming SSM? wakes are behind, not in front of incoming targets. As to diverting flights due to storm...yes, when landing or judging whether to takeoff or land. On trans Pacific flights, you pretty much fly the shortest possible route. And at that altitude, you don't see storms. Even if you see clouds, it's very very rare. I've forgot the exact altitude where cloudes really don't exist, but i've always thought major storm clouds have very low altitude. I don't know why you're so stubborn on this one, why don't you go search on the internet and tell me exactly when you wouldn't expect clouds 99% of the time. As to range. So, you've forgot the air superiority senario i've kept on mentioning. For example, instead of your hypotheticals, a simple use in historical wars, the Gulf War II versus Iraq, had the US have the ABL ready in service, with the kind of air superiority, not many of the Scuds launched would be able to reach their range. Simply put, the ABL is still a tactical weapon, so it's risks should be taken to be similar to a B-52 or a B-1B doing bombing runs. Now, given the same senario as to NK, you are suggesting that there won't be heavy bomber missions also? For example, had the Talibans some working SCUDs, the ABL again would've been the ideal option to counter that threat. Very effective as you said during the boost phase is the weakest phase of any ballistic missile. Oh, by the way, NK is evil...which country would starve huge percentage of it's own citizens to that extend while still have a luxurious elite class. Just ask any defectors in embassies across China at a alarming high rate, and you stop your ignorant US bashing simply for the sake of criticizing the US. About Iran as Evil, that's certainly debatable, but NK? Come on, use Iran as your future examples, not NK. Again, the ruling elites is evil, no-one ever make reference to the suffering populous as evil.

"You are really really losing me Garry, salt sprays of an approaching sea skimming SSM? "

Salt spray is created when wind blows the top of white caps, it also forms on beaches and against ships at sea.
Ask Jonsey or Tom how perfectly flat the sea is all the time, about how weapons systems on board ships don't need any for of stabilisation and the whole deck always remains absolutely dry... no matter what the weather.
A CIWS has to work in light and heavy rain and even snow, as well as clear sunny days.

"Simply put, the ABL is still a tactical weapon, so it's risks should be taken to be similar to a B-52 or a B-1B doing bombing runs."

No, it is not. It is part of NMD and will be used almost exclusively against ICBMs.

"the Gulf War II versus Iraq, had the US have the ABL ready in service, with the kind of air superiority, not many of the Scuds launched would be able to reach their range. "

A very good example... how many Scuds were shot down or destroyed before launch. Total air superiority and not a single confirmed scud destroyed before it got airborne. On some days rather large numbers were being launched, and with total air superiority not one was destroyed before it entered the target area.
Of course now you are going to suggest that the airspace was so clear that you could fly a 747 right through there and not have that multi bilion dollar aircraft shot at.
The ABL is not designed for wartime tactical use, it is part of NMD and will be flown 24/7 around rogue states for unexpected/unintenional or renegade missile launches.

"Oh, by the way, NK is evil...which country would starve huge percentage of it's own citizens to that extend while still have a luxurious elite class"

Which country would pay its farmers to destroy their crops and subsidise inefficient farmers to keep the price of food high while all this starvation is going on around the world.
To suggest North Korea is the only country where those in power get priviledges is a little pathetic. Starvation in North Korea has more to do with isolation caused by sanctions than anything else?...

I chose North Korea because it is small.
If you would like to choose Iran or Iraq then the ABL is next to useless, as getting within 400km of the launch sites before the missile is out of the atmosphere and on its way would be so unlikely that you might as well not bother. Unless you had significant prior warning you'd be wasting your time. Of course if by some miracle you did get that prior warning then you'd send a B-2, not an ABL.

"I've forgot the exact altitude where cloudes really don't exist, but i've always thought major storm clouds have very low altitude. "

The hymalayas covered in cloud at 29,000ft make lovely pictures.
Clouds form in the Troposphere which varies in height from 10km at the poles to 18km at the equator... the latter equating to almost 60 thousand feet... ABL operates at about 40,000 ft.

Member for

24 years 8 months

As usual these days have little time to join in I'm afraid, but, I can completely concur with Garry's argument here. A laser CIWS is a real non-starter in the naval environment. Beam attentuation would be tremendous in the boundary layer and I have serious concerns about how clean laser optics would remain if exposed even to a very few seconds of sea spray.

Doubtless the adaptive optics, developed to remove that atmoshperic star-twinkling someone mentioned, could overcome a percentage of the environmental attentuation but, for me, the idea of have to maintain a system, at sea, containing literally thousands of micro-actuators whose operation must be accurate to a very high degree sounds nightmarish and impractical at least. I mean...what kind of hammer would one hit such a thing with to make it work???! :D

Far more promising noises are coming from the directed EMP weapons that several nations are developing. Quite how these would work aboard ship engaging inbounds without toasting every IC onboard I've frankly no idea, but, it sounds eminently more sensible than trying to take potshots with lasers!

Regards,
Steve

Member for

24 years 8 months

Garry was talking about sea sprays, not boundary layers. That's what i'm trying to tell him, varying density boundary layers are there 100% of the time, while salt sprays are not. So, the first problem to solve would naturally be against something that's there all the time. But, as to directed EMP. My earlier points are, what exactly is a "direct" energy weapon? It's a family of focused EM beams. As such, lasers and directed EMPs and other what nots using focused EM waves falls under such a broad catagory. Lasers can be UV, Visible, or IR...while there are others with microwave, that's why i called it X-ASERS.
As to ABL, humm...i've always thought it's for protecting allies, which as you can see it almost always is used against SRBMs. It's a tactical asset as my definition of Strategic would be weapons used for an all out nuke war with the US. There are holes in the IR spectrum through the atmosphere, and no doubt these are the same wavelength that the ABL will use.
As to food. Take care of your own country first before anybody else. The US can take care of themselves, yet NK with all this huge amount of aid from South Korea, Japan, and yes the US, seems to redirect them to the military and the ruling elites. There are consistent reports coming out of these huge surge of defectors. If the US is so bad, why some of them insists on coming here? I haven't hear one that wants to go to NZ. (Garry, why don't you tell me how much of your Kiwi tax dollars is used to help these people before preaching about it, as far as i know, they got a share of my tax dollars).

""(Garry, why don't you tell me how much of your Kiwi tax dollars is used to help these people before preaching about it, as far as i know, they got a share of my tax dollars)."

No, you are right, the fact that the US gives away billions of dollars every year means it is OK for it to do what it likes.
Why is everything black and white to you... is everyone who gives a few dollars a good person??? even if they are child molestors or murderers?
Or is it a question of how much they give... you gave 20 million so you must be good... despite all the blood on your hands.

"There are consistent reports coming out of these huge surge of defectors. "

Yes, defectors leaving a country are always going to be the best ambassadors for that country.
I am not suggesting NK is the land of Milk and honey. Certainly the governent seems to look after itself and its cronies quite well while members of the society have basic problems like getting food on the table.
Of course if they were not under threat of attack 24/7 with enemies on all sides I would suggest they were paranoid.
But considering their position and sanctions that are imposed the negative effect that would have on any democracy, I'd say they were damn lucky to be a communist country or there'd be a lot more suffering.
In trying to get the world to like his NMD plans Bush jnr has continually stated that the cold war is over... ask NK... in fact ask Cuba... if the US can't defeat someone on the battlefield they crush them with sanctions and threats and isolation... it takes longer and is very cruel, but the strange thing is it is the fault of the victim when their society fails... a great joke... I am sure historians of the future will have a great laugh about it.

"Garry was talking about sea sprays, not boundary layers. "

I am talking about enough impurities in the air to make the laser useless.

"varying density boundary layers are there 100% of the time, while salt sprays are not. "

And what sort of up time would you like your last line of defence to have?

"There are holes in the IR spectrum through the atmosphere, and no doubt these are the same wavelength that the ABL will use."

Strange that these holes exist and the military don't know about them... LGBs could be used in allweather if you'd be so good as to pass on the frequency of these holes... }>

But these holes are temporary... a sudden drop in moisture content or dust levels.

"If the US is so bad, why some of them insists on coming here?"

I really don't know... something about a promise of liberty and justice, land of opportunity... I'll ask one of the many Americans that chose to come here.

Not sure why you are confusing the fact that your government is much like any other government... including those of dictatorships like NK and Iraq... with the idea that I don't like the people of America.
So far the ones that haven't gone off their heads screaming "I'm a Bl00dy Canadian!" have all seemed OK to me. Even these Canadians seem OK after you stop calling them Yanks... but if the US is so bad as you say then I guess I'd have to accept your word.

Even if you have heavy duty blowers keeping the lenses clean... even if you have the best stabilisers in the world... what is to stop missile designers putting a radar transparant ceramic block in the nose of the missile. The Anti Ship version of the AS-15 Kickback dives on its target at mach 5 and already uses an ablative shield to protect it from heat... what chance has a weapon that relies on destroying its target via heat buildup in such a situation. It is useful against ICBMs because they are basically aluminium balloons pumped upright with highly volatile chemicals. A short range ballistic missile could have sides that are several cm thick... compared with the mm for ICBMs. The cost of developing these laser defence systems will not be justified when your enemies take simple and cheap steps to make them meaningless.

Weapons useing EMP are far more useful in that their frequency means moisture and dust and even changes in air pressure don't effect them.