Member for

24 years 8 months

http://img35.exs.cx/img35/2431/930a.jpg
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/9089/930b.jpg
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/6335/930c.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

The fairing on the port side (with the primer), just aft of the main landing gear, could that be an outlet for an APU?

Member for

20 years

PLA, just wanted to know where you found these pictures and if you would happen to know the actual designation for this aircraft? Thanks.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Shadow,
Right button mouse, properties... You will find it. Second part... They call it Chinese Awacs. But I do not think you are not looking for that. So, nope.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Huitong reports the designation as the KJ-2000, and that two (with the updated paint job) have been delivered to the PLAAF.

Member for

21 years

So what info do we have on the radar?

Member for

24 years 8 months

PLA, just wanted to know where you found these pictures and if you would happen to know the actual designation for this aircraft? Thanks.

It carries the 'NATO codename' MAINRING.

TJ

Member for

21 years

NATO codenames have not been given since the end of the Cold War I believe, what matters is how good is the radar of this aircraft because an AWACS is as good as it's electronics are.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Srbin, ASCC designators are still being given, but they only emerge ever so rarely. TJ is nowadays one of the precious leaks us amateurs have...

Member for

24 years 8 months

Srbin, ASCC designators are still being given, but they only emerge ever so rarely. TJ is nowadays one of the precious leaks us amateurs have...

Oh yessss.... TJ my precioussssss....We wantsss that designation. :)

Member for

20 years

Does anyone know if these aircraft are modified Russian A-50Us or are they aircraft which received upgrades at various aerospace firms located in Israel after the airframes were purchased? Thanks.

Member for

21 years

Well, in that case. Thanks, Precious! :D

Can I suggest FroDo, SamWise, GolLum or OneRing for the oncoming AWACS/AEW Y8 variants?

Member for

20 years 2 months

Did the Chinese made those?...cool

Member for

24 years 8 months

NATO codenames have not been given since the end of the Cold War I believe, what matters is how good is the radar of this aircraft because an AWACS is as good as it's electronics are.

Srbin,
That is incorrect. For example the FLANKER family is up to H in the series. where did you think FLANKER G and H came from? FULCRUM is up to G. MiG-AT received the codename MISER and the Yak-130 has the codename MITTEN. Designators and names never went away. Radars, missiles etc are all still named by the west. Another example is the SU-47 which received the codename FIRKIN.

TJ

Member for

20 years 2 months

so 2 KJ-2000 AWACS serve with the PLAAF now?

reportedly that during Defence Minister Cao's visit to Russia, China wanted to purchased 30 IL-76s, 8 IL-78 tankers, and 4 more A-50 platforms to be converted to KJ-2000s. (and a possible deal signed, with China acquiring 24 more Su-30MKK2s or Su-30MKK3s and more S-300MPU2s and S-400s)

what is the status of the Y-8 AWACS program? where reportedly a prototype flew in 2001.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Srbin,
That is incorrect. For example the FLANKER family is up to H in the series. where did you think FLANKER G and H came from? FULCRUM is up to G. MiG-AT received the codename MISER and the Yak-130 has the codename MITTEN. Designators and names never went away. Radars, missiles etc are all still named by the west. Another example is the SU-47 which received the codename FIRKIN.

TJ

Is Firkin even a real word? I've never heard it used in a sentence before. :)