European (non Russian) 5th generation fighter...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

Has anyone heard anything lately about European companies developing a manned or unmanned 5th generation fighter? Clearly it would probably end up being a multinational effort... from what I've read, EADS has made the most progress so far.. the MAKO, although using external storage, has significant amount of stealthy features, including angled aircraft frame, I've read that they have another aircraft, even stealthier in the works. The British have FOAS which in artist conceptions..do appear to look like it'll be in the 5th generation class, however it seems like the Brits might not develop this concept further.. Have the French and Swedes thought about it? Saab views that the Gripen will be their last fighter alone..and World Air Power journal views that the rafale will be the last time the French go at it alone..so perhaps another fighter might see both Saab and Dassault cooperating..

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: European (non Russian) 5th generation fighter...

Saab is currently working on demonstrator programmes and has already flown an Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle demonstrator called SHARC (Swedish Highly Advanced Research Configuration). The main objectives of the SHARC programme are to demonstrate strike missions, low signature features, high survivability, internal weapon-bay functionality and autonomy.

Regards,
Primer55
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3d714efd6f432b4e.jpg

Member for

24 years 8 months

It's called Joint Strike Fighter, with participation by the following European nations:
United Kingdom
Italy
Norway
The Netherlands
Turkey
Denmark

Also:
Canada
Australia
United States

The European technical and monetary contribution and market are the factors that makes JSF possible. Without the Europeans, JSF would never happen.

Member for

24 years 8 months

lol

JSF is an American project, DJ. The Americans just need some extra clients, and only Europeans are naive enough to buy the JSF instead of their own quality stuff.

Member for

24 years 8 months

agreed.

Member for

24 years 8 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-09-02 AT 05:30 AM (GMT)]Geforce, I think DJ is well aware that the JSF is a U.S. project -he had tongue firmly in cheek!

But I agree: I would love to see a European JSF/5gen aircraft. Then the countries who are not hanging on Uncle Sam's coat-tails will have an alternative.

SJohan

The RMAF: "Always Aloft"

Member for

24 years 8 months

Hmm, the Rafale and EF are not yet in service and development to full combat standard will take some more years. The EF was called Jäger 90 in Germany, now its Jäger 05. }> Until a common new fighter with jsf capabilities would be developped, the USA will have their 6th gen jet. ;-) (Or UCAVs, but I don't like them. )

Member for

24 years 8 months

"the Rafale and EF are not yet in service "

Rafale has flown its first combat missions in the Afghanistan campaign.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Of course you are right. :-)
But only AA rafales, nowhere near full capability.

btw, the more countries involved in a fighter project, the longer it will take into service. }> (Eurofighter)

Member for

24 years 8 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-09-02 AT 01:14 PM (GMT)]JSF is every bit a European jet. In every early JSF briefing (we're talking 4-5 years ago), big emphasis was placed on the fact that the US Pentagon DOES NOT have the money to develop JSF by itself. The only viable solution was to solicit help from Europe to define requirements and help pay for development of the new jet. Yes, the US plays a major role, but the requirements for the F-35 "A" and "B" models were defined with major input from UK, Italy, Denmark, and The Netherlands. Representatives of those countries Air Forces (and other partner nations) are present at all major program reviews. European Air Force officers hold key management positions within the JSF Program office, especially in Engineering. If the European contribution stopped tommorrow, the JSF would be immediately cancelled without hesitation (just like the A-12 was cancelled after spending $4+Billion).