Aircraft Carriers

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

Sean ,

Thanks for the info on carriers .

Are there any good other reference books on the Aircraft Carriers which also has good artworks ?

One that I have is Carriers by David Miller (Salamander 1991) .

I am very curious to learn why Argentina is not going in for another carrier ?

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: Aircraft Carriers

Here is one for Carrier Aviation:
Carrier Aviation Air Power Directory from Airtime Publishing.
http://www.airtimepublishing.com/airPower.phtml

and Firepower, sea warfare from chris bishop with a chapter about carriers is a nice book

Member for

24 years 8 months

Books about Aircraft Carriers

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-09-02 AT 00:43 AM (GMT)]Try to find:

- Aircraft Carriers of the US Navy, by Stefan Terzibaschitsch (a German author, but his newest "encyclopedias" are now published in English, and include all the USN fleet, light, attack, and multi-purpose carriers ever built); the book includes up to a dozen of photographs of every single hull ever put into USN service, and line drawings of every class (in some cases also every single hull, as many were modified in different versions).

- Aircraft Carriers of the World, 1914 to the Present, by Roger Chessnau (a nice, but meanwhile slightly obsolete book, but nevertheless a wealth of infos and line drawings of every class).

- Aircraft Carriers of the Royal and Commonwealth Navies, by Commander David Hobbs (MBE, RN); a very fine book with no line drawings but plenty of photos and detailed chronological history of every ship;

- Naval Air Power (hard to get this days), by Michael Taylor; a detailed insight into the topic, with loads of illustrations and excellent explanations about how the navies function in the modern world - and why;

- Aircraft Carriers, by Antony Preston; an "ever-green" the second or third edition of which was just re-published, even if the book is pretty obsolete meanwhile(comes up to the late 1970s, early 1980s);

You'll need perhaps something like USD 500 to get all of these books (especially Terzibaschitsch's is pretty expensive because of so many illustrations and detailed descriptions), but you can trust me it's worth - if you are seriously interested.

>I am very curious to learn why Argentina is not going in for
>another carrier ?

Because they lack the money to do so (especially now, when the Argentinian economy is in another deep crisis). Argentina is one of the countries with most debts at all (over $120 billion meanwhile).

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: Books about Aircraft Carriers

>>I am very curious to learn why Argentina is not going in for
>>another carrier ?
>
>Because they lack the money to do so (especially now, when
>the Argentinian economy is in another deep crisis).
>Argentina is one of the countries with most debts at all
>(over $120 billion meanwhile).

Here in Brazil we make jokes about it. We say that Foch (now São Paulo) was just purchased to kill some Argentinans of jealousy. :)

Regards,
Primer55

Member for

24 years 8 months

I have some books from Stefan Terzibaschitsch regarding the US fleet, and about destroyers and cruisers (older ones). I can only recommend his books. As Tomcat111 said, they are expensive, but really excellent references. Haven't seen anything better. I'm going to buy his newest book about the US warships (money is the problem).

Member for

24 years 8 months

Tom and the gang,

Thanks for all the info on the carrier books - now I really need to
search for all the books.

One last question is the Russian carrier Admiral Kuznetsov - fully operational and battle worthy now?

There are a lot of reports stating that she never moves out of her home port and has had only one major operational cruise all these years.

Member for

24 years 8 months

>>>I am very curious to learn why Argentina is not going in for
>>>another carrier ?
>>
>>Because they lack the money to do so (especially now, when
>>the Argentinian economy is in another deep crisis).
>>Argentina is one of the countries with most debts at all
>>(over $120 billion meanwhile).
>
>Here in Brazil we make jokes about it. We say that Foch (now
>São Paulo) was just purchased to kill some Argentinans of
>jealousy. :)
>
>Regards,
>Primer55

Sometimes the Argentina can use the Super Etendard and Trackers in our São Paulo, like in the ARAEX Operation (Last April).

www.mar.mil.br/Araex_1.htm
www.infomarmb.hpg.ig.com....2002.3.htm

But today the São Paulo is going to the Dry Dock because are a lack of resources to operating her until 2003.

Are any guess about what the China wants with the Minas Gerais?

I Beg Your Pardon for my poor English...

Member for

24 years 8 months

The Russian Carrier

Well, actually several reports about Kuznetsov I read said, that she'll be made ready for another cruise. That's going on since something like a year, but she is not going out for any new cruise. Indeed, she haven't done even a smallest cruise since 1996.

99% of the Russian Fleet haven't moved further away more than some 60nms from their main bases in the last seven years: actually, 95% of the ships haven't moved at all.

The problems are meanwhile such, that there is not only not enough money to buy fuel for heating the ships in winter, but also hardly enough to buy food for the sailors: the few "active" units are those which were built later so have most of their systems in functioning order. Another example: only one - repeat 1 - nuclear powered sub is considered as operational.

In order to put Kuznetsov to the sea - especially for a longer cruise - she would need a full overhaul, which would bring all of her systems in working order. What I'm talking about here are not the radars or weapons so much, but all the small things. It's pretty unpleasant, for example, to sail the north Atlantic with a ship which is leaking water (and all ships are leaking water) but the water pumps are not functioning, or water-tight doors are not closing; or to have a fire in the hangar, and the foaming system is out of order (and the damage control systems of Soviet/Russian ships were always very poor)...

Member for

24 years 8 months

RE: The Russian Carrier

I read in another Forum that according to the Russian news agency Interfax the repairs of Kuznetsov are planned to be completed before August 1, 2003. Afterward sea trials and pilots training shall start.