Yak-130

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 10 months

I know Yakovlev has planned to develop a nice little multirole fighter out of Yak-130 but there has been no hint out there that they will do it.

Perhaps they can partner up with MiG and develop a fighter out of the Mig-AT or Yak-130, probably Yak-130 since it's better

-single seat
-more powerful engines
-few more hardpoints
-perhaps a larger wing
-stretched fuselage for more fuel
-allow it to carry wide array of Russia Air to surface and air to air weapons as well as some more Western weapons
-arm is with at least a good radar to allow it to fire R-77 and other weapons

With all that you got yourself a nice very cheap low observable capable small multirole fighter which can also be bought with the twin seat Yak-130 trainer. The current Yak-130 costs anywhere from 10-12mn, this fighter's cost shouldnt be that much higher, shouldn't over 20mn

This could be a great competitor to F/A-50 Golden Eagle as a replacement of Mig-21, Mirage III and F-5.

A poor man's fighter.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/yak_130/images/Yak130_5.jpg
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/yak_130/images/Yak130_6.jpg
http://www.aeronautics.ru/img001/yak130d.jpg

Original post

Member for

21 years 2 months

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/yak_130/images/Yak130_4.jpg

The cockpit of the latest Yak..

btw the versions you have posted above are the older ones, the current one has a pointier radome..

as for a replacement for MiG-21s, Mirage IIIs, etc.. the Yak-130 loses out to the F-50 in the fact that the Yak-130 is still a subsonic jet aircraft, while the F-50 has performance figures close to the Gripen. The climb rate, acceleration, etc of the Yak-130 still puts it as an advance trainer, although it has much better sustained turns and AOA than the average advance trainer.

Member for

20 years 10 months

I thought Yak-130 was barely supersonic.

Anyways like i said more powerful engines would be better, or maybe a single strong engine since two engines are very fuel thristy but that would take too much money to change I think or maybe not.

Anyways stronger engines and refined wing and it should be able to go supersonic easily.

I doubt F/A-50 would have a better chance than MAKO or Yak-130 because F/A-50 would be using mostly American weapons like AIm-120 and JDAM which can only be sold to American friendly countries, but Russia would sell their weapons to anyone. MAKO would also have problems because it comes with European weapons and thats also a problem.

Yak-130 fighter would have a better chance because it would probably be much cheaper(it'd be produced in Russia) and not only comes with Russian weapons and avionics but also some western stuff.

I think the biggest disadvantage of Yak-130 over F/A-50 is that it's a twin engined and currently it's slower and has smaller range.

Member for

21 years 2 months

I wouldn't put too much hopes on the MAKO being competitive any time soon.. the UAE has lost interest in it, the Luftwaffe doesn't seem interested in it..and by the time they get anything produced, other aircraft would've dominated the market already..

As for the Yak-130.. making it go supersonic would most likely require some structural changes, the Yak-130 was clearly designed to be an armed advance trainer first that could emulate AOA of modern fighters, and because of its capabilities, wanted to expand on it.. Also while it is fast..I wouldn't say it's at barely supersonic speeds.. however its counter part, the M-346 is significantly faster than the Yak-130 and that required re-engining and structural changes.

but, the T/A/F-50 was clearly designed from the offset to be BOTH an advance trainer and a combat aircraft to replace F-5s, which is why even before the A-50 was produced, the South Koreans already knew what kind of radar they wanted, etc. They definitely intend to have this aircraft armed with a BVR type missle (most probably AMRAAM)..while the yak-130 so far has mostly been seen with short range AAMs.

you're certainly right over the disadvantage of the double engines on range.. like Elp best says.. its another engine that sucks up fuel on a small air frame..

If a country wants a cheap light fighter and they don't want the possible political limitations that come with the T/A/F-50, then they would most likely go for the FC-1 or MiG-29 before they would even consider the Yak-130.

The climb rate, acceleration, etc of the Yak-130 still puts it as an advance trainer, although it has much better sustained turns and AOA than the average advance trainer.

AOA will be comparable to Russia's advanced fighters. It will have dial up manouverability to perform like the aircraft it is training the pilot for.

Regarding speed, is the SHAR crap... because it is subsonic too.

As a defender subsonic is important but not crucial. The reduced costs of not being supersonic means that you can have three aircraft for every supersonic fighter you could have bought.

Numbers are useful... especially if you fit a decent radar and equip the aircraft with R-77s. There is lots of talk about the range differences of AMRAAM and R-77 but most engagements I have read about the range of fire is barely BVR except in extreme cases.
For a light fighter for patrol purposes you will need to identify your target before you sending into the ocean in flames. This means good WVR capability and R-73s with HMS can do a great job, with a couple of R-77s to back up. (With arbelet).

Regarding the twin engines apart from extra maintainence twin engines are not thirstier. They do add weight and cost more to maintain but more often than not the choice is between one big powerful engine that is generally less fuel efficeint or two smaller engines that are not powerful enough to meet the specs alone so two are needed.

Needless to say that one big V8 engine developing 250hp is not necessarily more fuel efficient than two smaller and much more fuell efficient engines generating 130hp each. Unlike a land vehicle there is no compicated gearing or powertrain problems with two engines.

At normal cruise speeds a 13,700kg thrust engine at 60% power does not necessarily burn less fuel than two 8,000kg thrust engines running at 30% power each.

Member for

21 years 2 months

Originally posted by GarryB
AOA will be comparable to Russia's advanced fighters. It will have dial up manouverability to perform like the aircraft it is training the pilot for.

Regarding speed, is the SHAR crap... because it is subsonic too.

As a defender subsonic is important but not crucial. The reduced costs of not being supersonic means that you can have three aircraft for every supersonic fighter you could have bought.

The SHAR is a poor example for comparison because it was not primarily designed as a training aircraft, furthermore the poster suggested an aircraft to replace the MiG-21, F-5, etc something that you will not see airforces wanting any Harrier as a replacement. Like I said earlier.. if a country wanted a cheap aircraft to replace the aircraft he mentioned, and want to avoid American components, then the FC-1 and MiG-29 will be a better choice.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Well the Yak-130 is a lot smaller than the T/F/A-50 I think

Well FC-1 isn't that modern comapred to T/F/A-50 nor is it a light weight nor is a Mig-29 a light weight.

Yak-130 is already a good plane, it has a decent range, very good payload for it's size(3000kgs), something like 7 hardpoints and it's speed is almost supersonic. However, the biggest problem I see with T/F/A-50 is it's cost and weapons that would come with it. I don't know the cost of it but I have a feeling it will be pretty expensive and with the weapons it would come with like AIM-120 and JDAM then you need US approval for that. Perhaps South Korea can make it compatable with Russian weapons and avionics or even Chinese and make SD-10/R-77/other Chinese/Russian ASMs compatable with it

However Yak-130 would need some structural changes, maybe different wing, stronger engines, and as soon as you remove the second seat and make space for more fuel you got more range, and probably you can even stretch the fuselage a little more. Maybe add 2 more hardpoints somewhere under the fuselage and you got 2 wingtip pylons for R-73 and you got the rest of the hardpoints for other weapons.

Yak-130 would be significantly cheaper than T/F/A-50 probably and would not come with all those political demands, even if it is currently better.

Anyways if they could just put in one engine I think Yak-130 would be much better, not only probably faster but with much bigger range and better payload and easier to maintain.

Member for

21 years 2 months

Originally posted by Srbin
Well the Yak-130 is a lot smaller than the T/F/A-50 I think

Well FC-1 isn't that modern comapred to T/F/A-50 nor is it a light weight nor is a Mig-29 a light weight.

Yak-130 is already a good plane, it has a decent range, very good payload for it's size(3000kgs), something like 7 hardpoints and it's speed is almost supersonic. However, the biggest problem I see with T/F/A-50 is it's cost and weapons that would come with it. I don't know the cost of it but I have a feeling it will be pretty expensive and with the weapons it would come with like AIM-120 and JDAM then you need US approval for that. Perhaps South Korea can make it compatable with Russian weapons and avionics or even Chinese and make SD-10/R-77/other Chinese/Russian ASMs compatable with it

However Yak-130 would need some structural changes, maybe different wing, stronger engines, and as soon as you remove the second seat and make space for more fuel you got more range, and probably you can even stretch the fuselage a little more. Maybe add 2 more hardpoints somewhere under the fuselage and you got 2 wingtip pylons for R-73 and you got the rest of the hardpoints for other weapons.

Yak-130 would be significantly cheaper than T/F/A-50 probably and would not come with all those political demands, even if it is currently better.

Anyways if they could just put in one engine I think Yak-130 would be much better, not only probably faster but with much bigger range and better payload and easier to maintain.

You sound like you don't know what you want.. what kind of capabilities are you looking for, because the Yak-130 is first and foremost a TRAINER with NO BVR capability.. to suggest an air force to adopt the Yak-130 to replace their MiG-21/F-5/etc is absurd.. especially when the FC-1 (which is about the same weight as the T-50), offers a BVR advantage, not to mention what the MiG-29 can do.

The Yak-130 is a good plane, yes.. and a trainer able to fill a market that lacks advance aircraft with high AOA.. but it does not mean it'll make a good light multi role aircraft that can compete with other light combat aircraft with out extensive modifications of the structure that you want..which would involve costs and time.

Furthermore aircraft such as the Hawk 200 which is a combat aircraft derived from an advance trainer, hasn't been selling very well..with the two sole users preferring to adopt REAL combat aircraft. While the AMX, also a smaller subsonic aircraft designed for combat, isn't selling that well either, with the cost per unit being greater than the MiG-29 and as much as an F-16 from Italian reports.

further more I suggest you come down from the "what-ifs" mode, because one can certainly see the potential if you changed a little of this, add a little of that.. but in reality it is much different.

now some questions for you if you don't mind..

how much do you think the Yak-130 will cost, and how much do you think it will cost after extensive modification to make it into the aircraft you want.

how much do you think the FC-1 and the F-50 will cost

and what kind of capabilities do you want.

Member for

20 years 10 months

You sound like you don't know what you want.. what kind of capabilities are you looking for, because the Yak-130 is first and foremost a TRAINER with NO BVR capability.. to suggest an air force to adopt the Yak-130 to replace their MiG-21/F-5/etc is absurd.. especially when the FC-1 (which is about the same weight as the T-50), offers a BVR advantage, not to mention what the MiG-29 can do.

The Yak-130 is a good plane, yes.. and a trainer able to fill a market that lacks advance aircraft with high AOA.. but it does not mean it'll make a good light multi role aircraft that can compete with other light combat aircraft with out extensive modifications of the structure that you want..which would involve costs and time.

Furthermore aircraft such as the Hawk 200 which is a combat aircraft derived from an advance trainer, hasn't been selling very well..with the two sole users preferring to adopt REAL combat aircraft. While the AMX, also a smaller subsonic aircraft designed for combat, isn't selling that well either, with the cost per unit being greater than the MiG-29 and as much as an F-16 from Italian reports.

further more I suggest you come down from the "what-ifs" mode, because one can certainly see the potential if you changed a little of this, add a little of that.. but in reality it is much different.

now some questions for you if you don't mind..

how much do you think the Yak-130 will cost, and how much do you think it will cost after extensive modification to make it into the aircraft you want.

how much do you think the FC-1 and the F-50 will cost

and what kind of capabilities do you want.

Dude, are you reading what I said above? I said that it needs alot of changes to be able to compete with T/F/A-50 stuff like. read:

-single seat
-more powerful engines
-few more hardpoints
-perhaps a larger wing
-stretched fuselage for more fuel
-allow it to carry wide array of Russia Air to surface and air to air weapons as well as some more Western weapons
-arm is with at least a good radar to allow it to fire R-77 and other weapons

If Yakovlev ever developed a light fighter out of it, a single seat and etc then it could be very good.

It should be single seat, by removing the second seat would create a lot more space for fuel, give it stronger engines or give it just one strong engine instead of two, give it the necessary avionics like much better radar with BVR capability to fire R-77 and other Russian ASMs, also possibly make some other structural changes to the wing or something to allow it to fly supersonically and maybe add some more hardpoints under the fuselage/under the wings and there you got yourself a very nice light single seat cheap multirole fighter all under 20mn probably that can also be bought with not only Russian weapons and avionics but Western stuff too.

Member for

20 years 9 months

I dont understand this, they might use principles they learnt on the yak 130 but theirs no real need to keep the airframe, to make a combat aircraft they might be better of by starting on a clean sheet and only using some of the parts from the 130 like its landing gear and actuators etc etc..

Member for

24 years 5 months

The Yakovlev homepage has all the developments of the Yak-130 they're planning, including a UCAV.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Yes but that would take a lot more time and money to develop, Yak-130 is good as it is and would just require a few more changes

here's what I drew up

Attachments

Member for

20 years 10 months

-so in total it should have 6 underwing hardpoints, 2 under fuselage hardpoints and 2 wingtip pylons for shorter ranged missiles like R-73 and other stuff
-give it good multimode radar inside
-arm it with all kinds of ASMs
-it's single seat and as you can see the cockpit has been greatly lowered and therefore should decrease drag
-since you should give it one more powerful engine rather than two weaker ones, this should increase range, speed and payloadm. I'd expect it's speed to be around mach 1.4, payload should be increased by another 500kgs and range should be increased because not only you'd have one engine but since I removed the second seat you'd have mor space for fuel
-give it all kinds of avionics like datalink, HMS with R-73 and all kinds of other stuff.

Member for

20 years 10 months

http://www.yak.ru/ENG/PROD/new_130m.php

they have plans for

UCAV(60% complete), Aircraft Carrier Trainer(5% complete), striker(15% complete), fighter-bomber(15% complete), jammer(15% complete) and recoinassance aircraft(15% complete)

I seriously don't get whats the difference between striker and fighter-bomber

Member for

20 years 9 months

Other variants of the Yak-130 being considered include a navalised carrier-based trainer aircraft, a lightweight reconnaissance aircraft and an unmanned strike aircraft.

(airforce tech)

Member for

24 years 5 months

I seriously don't get whats the difference between striker and fighter-bomber [/B]

Look closely at the two pictures. Notice the nose- clearly some sort of targeting optics (like Shvkal), on the striker, as well as something on the hardpoints that look like ATGMs (Vikhr or Hermes-A, most likely).

Member for

21 years 2 months

what about visibility? looks a bit too low, most advance trainers and light combat aircraft i've seen (except for the Aero L-XX series) have pretty good rear view.

I kinda doubt they'll be able to make a fighter-bomber with that airframe, but probably something more like a Su-25 Jr at most.

another thing is.. does Yakovlev have the money to finish the development of these variants? their design firm doesn't sell large quantities these days like Sukhoi or even MiG..and the orders for trainers so far is not that large.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Well teh visibility will be as good as it was in the normal Yak-130 front seat, I just removed the second seat and changed the lines a bit to reduce drag.

I think UCAV is kind a waste unless Russia is interested in it, striker and fighter-bomber and recoinassance should just be combined in a multirole aircraft while the carrier trainer could proceed.

Member for

21 years 2 months

rear view visibility is what i meant Srbin..

and I agree abou the UCAV thing..seems kinda extravagant to use the Yak-130 airframe for it.

Member for

20 years 10 months

ehhh rear visibility would be ok.

Member for

21 years 2 months

Originally posted by Srbin
ehhh rear visibility would be ok.

you generally get better rear visibility with a bubble cockpit, other wise you'll be relying on mirrors. the tandem arrangement the yak-130 has, the front seat pilot doesn't get the best rear visibility.