Starfighter

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

The Italian airforce still uses this fighter. What do they use it for? How has it been updated? Does it carry any missles? Are there any other airforces that still use this fighter? Turkey and Taiwan come to mind, but I don't know if they still use the Starfighter.

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

F-104 Starfighter

The F-104 is currently operated by the Italian Air Force only. They operate the F-104S-ASA-M and the TF-104G.

The F-104S was originally designed for Italy as an interceptor and in place of the M61A1 cannon they installed electronics to allow the aircraft the capability to launch and guide the AIM-7 Sparrow AAM.

Later, the aircraft was upgraded to F-104S-ASA standard which included a new NATO standard IFF, improved weapons delivery computer, and the addition of an automatic pitch control computer. The capability to fire the AIM-9L all-aspect version of the Sidewinder was implemented to replace the older rear-aspect AIM-9B's. It also introduced the Alenia Aspide 1A medium-range AAM in place of the AIM-7E. The Aspide is a developd version of the AIM-7E incorporating a new CW (Continuous Wave) monopulse seeker head with home-on-jam capability, improved ECCM, active radar fuse, longer range, and new wing control actuators.

Flight testing for the ASA began in 1984. Apparently, at the time new electronics were getting smaller and smaller, so the gun was able to be re-instated. Most F-104S's were brought up to ASA standard (ASA is Italian for Updated Weapons System.).

In 1992 the ASA-M upgrade program was initiated (due to delays in the EFA program). The aircraft got new radio and nav systems of the same type used in the AMX. I'm not sure if anything else was part of the ASA-M upgrade.

The F-104 is due to be retired fairly shortly, as Italy has leased a number of F-16A/B fighters that will be brought up to more modern standards (MLU possibly?). This will allow the tired Starfighters to be retired.

The F-104 is primarily used as a point-defense interceptor, supplementing the Italian Air Force's Tornado ADV fleet.

Typical loadout is one AIM-9 on the port outboard underwing pylons, one Aspide on the starboard outboard underwing pylon, fuel tanks on the wingtips, and of course the cannon.

A much heavier armament of four AIM-9 (two wingtip, two fuselage), two Aspide (two outboard underwing pylons), two fuel tanks (two mid-wing pylons), and of course the gun, is possible, but it is very rarely used. Six AAM's, two tanks, and the gun isn't a bad load if you ask me.

F-104's operated on QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) duties during the 1999 Allied Force campaign over Serbia and Kosovo.

They were able to get into the air much faster than any other fighter, from start up to wheels up, so they are ideal for the QRA role.

During that conflict they carried the first of the two loadouts I mentioned above.

Hope that info helps you out.

Most of it came from Joe Baugher's page.

Member for

24 years 8 months

I believe after reading in AFM that the AMI also uses them for surface attack and battle field support, I've seen pics of them armed with the Italian ASM and bombs.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Got any of those pics Ja?

I'd love to see them.

I've always been curious about ground missions with the F-104 in AMI service.

With the AMX and Tornado IDS why would they need to though?

Member for

24 years 8 months

I always thought there are no cannons on the ASA-Ms. I think it was dropped fpr the guidance system of the Aspide a long time ago. But I could be wrong.

Member for

24 years 8 months

The F-104S is now really on it's last legs in Italian service, with the first F-16s having been delivered by now.

The F-104S was never used for attack missions. The -G's were, but that was a long time ago.

Member for

21 years

I was surprised to learn that the F104 was used in the Balkans in 1999. Are there any other countries that are still useing this fighter?

Member for

24 years 8 months

It wasn't really used, it only sat on alert in case of a Serb retalatory attack against targets on Italian soil. Gee, that was a likely scenario, wasn't it :rolleyes:

Apart from Italy: no. There is a slight chance Japan still has some UF-104J's left at Iwo Jima, but it's more likely they have all been destroyed by now.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Art: you're right, they've all be destroyed now.

Seahawk: You are also right mate, and thanks for reminding me of the name of that missile, getting old now :(

PII: Mate it was in the AFM where the pics I saw were, but I think I may be able to dig up a few, give me a bit of time and I'll see what I can do

Member for

24 years 8 months

Ja are you sure you saw them with bombs?

And don't you mean Italian AAM?

The Italian AAM you're thinking of is the Aspide.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Taiwan typically keep planes from previous generation in wartime reserves that can be flown any minute from alert....especially the RF-104Gs...heard that the RF-5Es have rather poor range and performance and the RF-16As won't be ready soon (just a podded F16). That said, i wouldn't be surprised that a few of the recon version still flies from time to time...it was officially "retired" only a few years ago.