Long Range Chinese Bomber

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 8 months

China needs long-range strategic bomber to strike adversaries farther away

[ATTACH=CONFIG]238943[/ATTACH]

BEIJING — China needs to develop a long-range strategic bomber to strike adversaries farther away from its coast in the event of conflict, state media reported Tuesday, quoting defense experts.

Beijing has been steadily beefing up its military through years of double-digit increases in defense spending, rapidly expanding its naval power, commissioning its first aircraft carrier and adding to its submarine and surface fleets.

But the government-run China Daily newspaper said in a full-page article that a recent military meeting had deemed the country's air force a "strategic force," citing the latest issues of Kanwa Defense Review, a Canada-based defense and weapons technology publication.

The title had previously been reserved for the military's Second Artillery Corps, which the paper described as China's "de facto strategic missile force."

The meeting agreed that a long-range strategic bomber would enable the air force to attack farther out into the Pacific Ocean, the paper quoted Kanwa Defense Review as reporting, as far as the "second island chain." Chinese strategists conceive of the "first island chain" as the arc stretching from Japan to Taiwan, which includes numerous US military bases on the Japanese island of Okinawa.

The second chain refers to islands farther east in the Pacific, including the Marianas, the Carolines, and the US territory of Guam with its Andersen Air Force Base. A third "island chain" encompassing Hawaii is also sometimes mentioned.

China's increased military posture has come as Beijing asserts its territorial claims in the East and South China Seas, where it has disputes with several Asian neighbours including Japan and the Philippines. Its moves have raised tensions with the United States, still the region's top military power.

A capacity to strike the second island chain would hinder foreign militaries from intervening in "an emergency or conflict," the China Daily said, citing the report.

In May, China's State Council, or cabinet, said in a white paper that the country would project its military power further beyond its sea borders and more assertively in the air.

The Chinese military defines a long-range strategic bomber as one that can carry more than 10 tonnes of air-to-ground munitions and with a minimum range of 8,000 kilometers (5,000 miles) without refuelling, the China Daily said.

Chinese defense technology magazine Aerospace Knowledge said in a series of articles last month that China needs a long-range stealth bomber, China Daily said.

"A medium-range bomber can't essentially fix the PLA [People's Liberation Army] air force's shortcomings in terms of strategic strike and strategic deterrence," it cited one of the reports as saying. "Thus the air force does need an intercontinental strategic bomber capable of penetrating an enemy's air defenses."

But the China Daily quoted the publication's deputy editor-in-chief Wang Yanan as saying such an aircraft would require "a state-of-the-art structure and aerodynamic configuration as well as a high-performance turbofan engine".

"All of these are major problems facing the Chinese aviation industry," he added. "I don't think these difficulties can be resolved within a short period of time."

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/air-space/air-force/2015/07/07/china-needs-long-range-bomber-state-media/29820795/

Attachments
Original post

Member for

14 years 4 months

I would have thought something akin to a Tu-22m would have been ideal.

That would give complete control over all maritime approaches (South China Sea, East China Sea, Sea of Japan), as well as allowing for a credible threat on Japanese soil to deter the USAF using it as a base of operations.

Particularly given the mostly likely combatant (USN) will be fielding the F/A-18 E/F and F-35, neither of which are exactly prime exponents of the fleet defence interceptor role.

Member for

24 years 5 months

I would have thought something akin to a Tu-22m would have been ideal.

H-6K has more range than Tu-22M already. China is probably looking for something in the B-1B class.

Member for

14 years 4 months

H-6K has more range than Tu-22M already. China is probably looking for something in the B-1B class.

Yes, but it goes around 1/2 the speed.

A group of Mach 1.6 Tu-22m vs. a USN carrier defended by Mach 1.uhm3 ish Subpar Hornets and Mach 1.6 ish F-35s? Could get very ugly very quickly.

Member for

13 years 8 months

"Well, duh."

P.S. Lots of great H-6K shots coming out of the parade rehearsals:

http://i.imgur.com/uIm8GjH.jpg

Member for

13 years 5 months

The title of the thread and the article and the article of the first post are not that related... that said, there are articles recently with state media introducing the need for a long range bomber. The need for a long range bomber has been known for a while now, and we're patiently waiting for the stealthy flying wing to emerge. It's kind of like the mid 2000s period prior to J-20.

---

As much as I'm sure the air force would like a supersonic regional bomber, it seems like they're going for the flying wing instead... or first.

Member for

13 years 2 months

One of the standout features of the H6-K for me is the rear turret, a feature that can directly trace its lineage back to the B-17 Flying Fortress of W2.

Member for

13 years 5 months

One of the standout features of the H6-K for me is the rear turret, a feature that can directly trace its lineage back to the B-17 Flying Fortress of W2.

Err H-6K doesn't have a rear turret. I don't think any new build H-6s in the last decade have had rear turrets... and many on older variants were removed.

Member for

11 years 8 months

The title of the thread and the article and the article of the first post are not that related...

Thanks for highlighting the issue. I have corrected it.

Member for

13 years 2 months

Err H-6K doesn't have a rear turret. I don't think any new build H-6s in the last decade have had rear turrets... and many on older variants were removed.

You can still see very clearly where the turret has basically been faired over.

Member for

24 years 5 months

The Handley-Page V/1500 of World War One vintage had a rear gun turret - as did many other designs of that era.

Power operated turrets pre-date the B-17 by many years - so the lineage is further back than that.

Rear turrets were used on later variants of the Soviet Tupolev TB-3 bombers of the 1930's

Ken

Member for

13 years 2 months

That particular distinctive style of rear turret was first seen on the B17, then the B29, the TU4 clone of the B29, the TU16, and then the H6 clone of the TU16.

Member for

11 years 4 months

That particular distinctive style of rear turret was first seen on the B17, then the B29, the TU4 clone of the B29, the TU16, and then the H6 clone of the TU16.

China needs two separate designs...

1- modern Turboprop for long range / maritime loiter capability... something like a 21st century Tu-142.
2- maybe an unmanned high speed long range bomber

Member for

13 years 5 months

You can still see very clearly where the turret has basically been faired over.

Well the tail structure of H-6K obviously still has traces of the rear turret geometry but that's probably because they saw no reason to redesign the tail structure. I think it's worth saying that H-6Ks are new build airframes as well, and that there was no "fairing over" of the aft turret on H-6K because it wasn't built with an aft turret to begin with.

Not like say, older variants like H-6G which were converted from airframes which did have aft turrets, or like current B-52s, which had their tail turrets removed starting by 1991 if I recall correctly.

Relevant picture of H-6K's tail.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/389/19445431175_0edbb891e2_o.jpg

Member for

13 years 5 months

China needs two separate designs...

1- modern Turboprop for long range / maritime loiter capability... something like a 21st century Tu-142.
2- maybe an unmanned high speed long range bomber

They already have Y-8Q for the MPA role...

I doubt the next generation bomber will be high speed, almost definitely going to be subsonic stealthy flying wing. it may be optionally manned going by intl trends.

Member for

24 years 5 months

Does China have something like Quickstrike naval mines? I've never seen aerial delivery of mines from PLAAF or PLAN H-6 and Y-8 types.

Member for

14 years 4 months

To be honest, I don't see the need for them to have long ranged deep penetration strategic bombers at all.

Aside from empire builders and warmongers, who needs strategic bombers?

The resources would be better spent elsewhere on a tactical bomber/interdictor/maritime striker. (on something like I said, a modern day design of similar scope to the Tu-22m)

Member for

11 years 5 months

To be honest, I don't see the need for them to have long ranged deep penetration strategic bombers at all.

Aside from empire builders and warmongers, who needs strategic bombers?

The resources would be better spent elsewhere on a tactical bomber/interdictor/maritime striker. (on something like I said, a modern day design of similar scope to the Tu-22m)

Because you can put it in the air and keep it in the air for along time with a large payload.
Adversaries do not have the capability or time to go hunting for unknown aircraft.