Stealth fighter effectiveness in SEAD , DEAD

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 2 months

Ah, okay. How much more expensive/difficult would it be give them the AARGM upgrade?

I don't know, probably a lot more. Upgrading relatively old missiles may not be very cost-effective, hence the relatively simple upgrade. They need a new generation of missiles that can fit inside the F-35...

Member for

11 years

I don't know, probably a lot more. Upgrading relatively old missiles may not be very cost-effective, hence the relatively simple upgrade. They need a new generation of missiles that can fit inside the F-35...

Meteor ARM/JDRADM would be my option but I know a T-3 is already being developed.

Member for

17 years

By T-3, I assume that you mean the DARPA Triple Target Terminator (T3) Advanced Missile demonstration programme.

Have you seen any recent news of this programme? It was due to undergo a a Critical Design Review in FY11, followed by a Test Readiness Review in FY12, and a flight demonstration in FY13. None of these events seem to have taken place.

Member for

11 years

By T-3, I assume that you mean the DARPA Triple Target Terminator (T3) Advanced Missile demonstration programme.

Have you seen any recent news of this programme? It was due to undergo a a Critical Design Review in FY11, followed by a Test Readiness Review in FY12, and a flight demonstration in FY13. None of these events seem to have taken place.

So a military project is running late? Now that is unusual. Or is it officially cancelled?

Member for

17 years

The Joint Dual-Role Air Dominance Missile was cancelled in 2012 due to funding problems, and given that the T3 programme seems to have been linked to it, and has apparently accomplished nothing since being started in around FY10, it has probably also been cancelled.

Member for

10 years 2 months

Meteor ARM/JDRADM would be my option but I know a T-3 is already being developed.

I have never seen anything concrete about an ARM meteor. Have you? As for the JDRADM/T-3, hopefully they will find funds to continue the R&D.

An ARM mode for a BVR missile would be a good feature. The enemy plane would be paranoid about using its radar and guiding its missiles, which would reduce their pk.

Member for

15 years 10 months

the brilliance of JDRADM is the flexibility, now all of the sudden all A2A missiles can be used vs SAM,
the fighter cover can join in the effort if need be

Member for

11 years

I have never seen anything concrete about an ARM meteor. Have you?

Not concrete just rumours. There is a large hole to be plugged in European SEAD capability, so it seems a logical step.

Member for

10 years 2 months

the brilliance of JDRADM is the flexibility, now all of the sudden all A2A missiles can be used vs SAM,
the fighter cover can join in the effort if need be

The JDRADM is a bit expensive to kill a SAM but it's probably better than being shot down.

However if the JDRADM is really fast and really good at killing radars ( not crappy like the HARM ), perhaps attacking the radar with the missile would be the best bet.

Member for

10 years 2 months

Not concrete just rumours. There is a large hole to be plugged in European SEAD capability, so it seems a logical step.

That would make sense but I am under the impression that killing a radar is pretty hard. Using expensive missiles like a meteor may not be the most cost effective way to do it. It would need a really good ability to find it when it is turned off.

Member for

17 years

the brilliance of JDRADM is the flexibility, now all of the sudden all A2A missiles can be used vs SAM,the fighter cover can join in the effort if need be

JDRAM is the Joint Dual-Role Air Dominance Missile whose demise in 2012 I mentioned earlier today.

Member for

11 years

That would make sense but I am under the impression that killing a radar is pretty hard. Using expensive missiles like a meteor may not be the most cost effective way to do it. It would need a really good ability to find it when it is turned off.

We have MWR technology, so I wonder if it's possible to get a radar to do Ku and W band or maybe Ku and Ka.

Member for

12 years 1 month

The Joint Dual-Role Air Dominance Missile was cancelled in 2012 due to funding problems, and given that the T3 programme seems to have been linked to it, and has apparently accomplished nothing since being started in around FY10, it has probably also been cancelled.

That is incorrect. The T3 program proceeded to its completion more or less on schedule, but the results have not been publicized.

See this DARPA budget document: www.darpa.mil/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2147487546

Title: Triple Target Terminator (T3)
Description: The Triple Target Terminator (T3) program developed a high speed, long-range missile to engage air, cruise missile,
and air defense targets. T3 would be carried internally on stealth aircraft or externally on fighters, bombers, and UAVs. The
enabling technologies are: air breathing propulsion, advanced networking and data links, and flexible guidance and control. T3
would allow any aircraft to rapidly switch between air-to-air and air-to-surface capabilities. T3's speed, maneuverability, and
network-centric capabilities would significantly improve U.S. aircraft survivability and increase the number and variety of targets
that could be destroyed on each sortie. The program is jointly funded with, and will transition to the Air Force.
FY 2013 Accomplishments:
- Fabricated and ground tested flight test articles.
- Obtained final flight test approval from Point Mugu Test Range.
- Conducted propulsion testing of flight weight engines.
- Completed flight qualification of Flight Termination System (FTS).
- Completed qualification of several subsystem components.
- Completed ground tests of flight test articles.
- Conducted captive carry test of flight test articles.
- Conducted separation tests of flight test articles.
- Completed propulsion testing of flight weight engines.
- Completed build and assembly of flight test articles.
- Conducted boost tests of flight test articles.
- Conducted airborne launch demonstrations of test articles against three target types.
- Completed and delivered final test report.

Member for

10 years 2 months

We have MWR technology, so I wonder if it's possible to get a radar to do Ku and W band or maybe Ku and Ka.

I don't know, depends on the size of the antenna maybe?

Member for

17 years

That is incorrect. The T3 program proceeded to its completion more or less on schedule, but the results have not been publicized.

An excellent 'find'! Thanks for bringing it to our attention and correcting my erroneous statement.

Member for

11 years

So was JDRADM renamed, or did they just realise that they had 2 programs doing the same thing and cancel one?

Member for

20 years 3 months

It wasn't renamed. The JDRADM was a program to develop, test and field a BVR missile with the often advertised capability. DARPA's T-3 program on the other hand was a program to develop and test technologies for a capability not too dissimilar to the JDRADM. The T-3 program was a technology program quite in line with what DARPA does. It has now been handed over to the USAF and has officially concluded after the two missiles (Boeing and Raytheon) were tested as planned. At least one of these missiles used a second generation solid fueled ramjet design from my understanding (AerGen by Aerojet) and it is quite possible that both of these missiles used ramjet propulsion.

I wouldn't be surprised of the USAF sits on this for a while and kick a JDRADM like program in a few years when the sequester threat has vanished (if). There is a clear intention not to talk about these future plans much as has been highlighted by some of the journalists that have tried to seek an answer to " what next".

Member for

18 years 1 month

Or they used metrics to solve the question which method is more effective and will likely draw up an rfp to multiple vendors based on this choice in the future. Some lulls are designed to allow competition to catch up.

Member for

20 years 3 months

From my understanding, the main thing that drove the JDRADM to be cancelled was the long term budgeting for the program that would have gone onto something like 12-15 Billion dollars for the development, testing and acquisition phase of the program. Lockheed was left out of the T-3 and would have most likely invested its internal funds on its missile development efforts (perhaps the CUDA was that) and will surely look to offer some level of competition on a hypothetical program in the future.

Member for

10 years 10 months

I think the main difference is that jdradm plan to use normal rocket engine while T-3 plan to use Ramjet engine
( based on their pictures)