Lynx

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

I was reading up on the Lynx recently, and I realized there is quite a bit I don't know. Thought I'd see what more I could learn here.

I was also hoping to do a mini "warlord" thread to see what exotic photos are out there of armed Lynxes.

First off, I'm curious about the Lynx AH.7 vs the AH.9. I know that engine upgrades and wheeled gear are the main differences to set the AH.9 apart, but functionally speaking does the Army employ them in different roles or was there just not enough money to upgrade the entire AH.7 fleet?

Weapons wise what all do both types employ? (Is TOW still used? Just 7.62 door guns?)

For the record, I'm well aware the Apache AH.1 is the primary attack helo...no need to point that out. I'm just curious how the Lynx is employed and what weapons are certified on it.

Original post

Member for

15 years 1 month

TOW was retired when Apache came online - just door guns now....

I have heard that Brimstone or Spear will be intergrated onto the Wildcat as its main role will actually be as a recce chopper....

Nick

Member for

17 years 10 months

Lets wait and see if a Brimstone can be integrated onto a chopper.

Member for

24 years 8 months

AH9 were originally Light Utility Helicopter compared with attack AH7 TOW.

Although they can both lift 6 heavily equipped troops or 9 passengers, AH9 slung load is 2000 kg, compared with AH7 1360 kg. AH9A was later upgraded again with CTS800-4N (Wildcat engines) with payload with slung load to 2360 kg

AH7 had option of 12.7mm mg from 2003, AH9 from 2008. Both can outrange RPGS and light arms.

Wildcat AH1 will also have option of 7.62mm or 12.7mm mg. Planned roles are utility, recon, casualty evacuation, CP, logistic and troop transport. There are no plans for missiles. Roles are recon and light lift.

Member for

16 years

Wildcat AH1 will also have option of 7.62mm or 12.7mm mg. Planned roles are utility, recon, casualty evacuation, CP, logistic and troop transport. There are no plans for missiles. Roles are recon and light lift.

Maybe not the AH1 but FASGW(heavy) and FASGW(Light) Certainly are planned for the RN's Wildcats.

Member for

18 years 6 months

AH9 were originally Light Utility Helicopter compared with attack AH7 TOW.

I always thought the 9's were simply upgraded 7's not intended for use in different roles, thanks for the info!

Member for

24 years 8 months

AH9 is 16 new plus 8 conversions from AH7.

The RN Wildcat HMA1 Seaspray 7400 radar also has overland modes - SAR and GMTI....

Member for

24 years 8 months

No missiles for the Army's Wildcats? You sure?

What about cannon pods or rocket pods (the latter ala the USMC's UH-1N/Y's).

Seems like just one door gun is a bit light if its to be used to move small numbers of troops or is the assault helo role no longer a part of the Wildcat's mission set?

I presume the Royal Navy's birds will still be fully equipped with torpedos, depth charges, and anti-ship missiles or some variety?

Member for

24 years 8 months

I should've started a Typhoon thread huh? :)

Member for

14 years 6 months

Noone really knows much about those ASW helos. That includes me. I could not really compare a, say, Ka-27 against AW159 or AS565 Panther even if I wanted to.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Well it's also not as sexy as a fighter so I understand where a lot of the interest lies.

As for a lack of knowledge, as I ranted about on the other thread, more people on this forum need to own up regarding their "knowledge" with respect to certain fighter types...

The statements I read on the endless X vs Y friends just blow my mind. You would swear people from here went up and flew these birds every day....

I just try to bring other stuff to discuss on the forum. No harm in trying anyways. :)

Member for

14 years 6 months

I personally would love to hear about what a pimped ASW version of AW-101 for $80mil can do compared to say NH90 NFH or Ka-27M but I amnot sure if anyone knows..

Member for

15 years 1 month

Will the Wildcat be given a full ASW suite or will that mainnly be left to Merlin and Wildacat be optimised for ASuW???

Also you need to remember that intergration doesn't mean UK service. If I was AgustaWestland I would be wanting to sell this aircraft abroard.....

Regards

Nick