Polish Air Force future - Su-22s

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 9 months

An interesting article regarding Polish AF Sukhois. It'll need translation of course as well as some interpretation.

http://lotniczapolska.pl/Prezentacja-Su-22-i-MiG-29,24706

Anyhow it seems the current Su-22s (some 32 aircraft) will expire in terms of airframe hours between 2014 and 2018.

There is no money to replace them and from what I can see, no money for a major upgrade.

It seems that a decisions on the Su-22's future is due this year. Failure to extend hours and modernize or replace Su-22s would see 3 out of 8 Polish fighter squadrons cease to exist post 2018.

Original post

Member for

13 years 8 months

Hmm, intersting.
The only Polish aircraft that carries anti-radiation missiles, not only Kh-25 but only Kh-58.

Member for

13 years 8 months

Hmm, intersting.
The only Polish aircraft that carries anti-radiation missiles, not only Kh-25 but only Kh-58.

I'm sure they can buy some HARMs to go with their F-16s instead...

Member for

13 years 9 months

...Or not as they're strapped for cash.

Member for

13 years 8 months

Everyone is 'strapped for cash'. Scrap the geriatric airframes and the personnel and facilities and logistics chains that fly and maintain them and spend 1/10th of the money saved over five years on buying more fancy **** for the F-16s.

Member for

13 years 8 months

The issue then would be a tiny overall air force with everything tasked for the F-16 fleet. Su-22 is well liked and provides a diverse ground attack role and is well mastered in the nation, and as the article states is supported by a maintenance chain aimed at the original fleet of over 100 airframes. I guess Poland wants to maintain an AF bigger than just sub 50 F-16s.

IIRC they want to extend life of MiG-29 fleet for many more years, and that's without even a major upgrade. Unless financially forced I don't see Poland shrinking the fleet further.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Unless financially forced I don't see Poland shrinking the fleet further.

By the looks of it though, if no SLEP is performed on Su-22 they have an automatic fleet shirnkage.

I also don't think they'll be acquiring replacements in such large numbers even if the economy picks up.

Member for

16 years

Compared to other European NATO countries of similar size and GDP, their air force even with just the F-16 looks quite potent to me.

Perhaps they also plan to buy some F-35s in the not to distant future?

Member for

13 years 8 months

The issue then would be a tiny overall air force with everything tasked for the F-16 fleet.

The MiG-29s say 'hi'. And ~60 modern jets is a pretty solid force given Poland's resources and threat environment.

and as the article states is supported by a maintenance chain aimed at the original fleet of over 100 airframes.

Translation: should've downsized long ago.

I guess Poland wants to maintain an AF bigger than just sub 50 F-16s.

And I want a pony. Welcome to the real world where everyone's inventories are shrinking. Let's say they do extend the Su-22 lifespan, when it comes time to retire them and the MiG-29 do you really think they're going to be replaced with an equivalent number of fifth-generation aircraft? And if not, what have you gained in that interim decade, really? Aside from a few dozen more pilots and support personnel lounging around soaking up money? The less money you have, the more important it is to spend that money wisely. And extending the lifespan of geriatric airframes when you've got superior hardware on hand is about the biggest waste of money there is. The only reason to do so would be if the financial picture is expected to improve in the medium term thereby allowing the purchase of replacement F-16s or Gripen NGs or something.

EDIT: Apologies for my grumbling tone here. =/

Member for

14 years 4 months

Su-22 has no future. I would not invest a penny in modernization of those things even if they were gold plated. They have served well an might have been well liked but it's time to go.

Member for

12 years

Su-22 has no future. I would not invest a penny in modernization of those things even if they were gold plated. They have served well an might have been well liked but it's time to go.

I believe the F-16s were bought to eventually replace the Su-22, hence the Polish AF decision to arm it with a2g weapons.

Member for

14 years 7 months

Those are target missiles based on RS-2US , can't recall the polish name for them atm though.:confused: ( i saw them even on polish MiG-29s too)

Member for

18 years 4 months

Those are target missiles based on RS-2US , can't recall the polish name for them atm though.:confused: ( i saw them even on polish MiG-29s too)

SRCP-WR (Sterowany Rakietowy Cel Powietryny - Wojska Rakietowe = Aerial Guided Rocket Target - Missile Forces)

http://www.itwl.pl/en/pdf/srcp_ang.pdf

1Saludo