Passenger Jet Bridges at Military Bases

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 6 months

I was looking over the naval bases in Norfolk and was really surprised to see they have what appears to be a full-blown passenger terminal including jet bridges at NAS Norfolk ( http://maps.google.com/maps?q=norfolk+nas&hl=en&ll=36.930915,-76.286337&spn=0.005463,0.013111&sll=38.810286,-76.876144&sspn=0.170414,0.41954&t=h&hq=norfolk+nas&radius=15000&z=17 ). Looks like a 757 pulled up to the one jetbridge in that picture (if you zoom in further they actually have different imagery and there are no aircraft at the jetbridges).

I don't believe this is very common, I took a look at what I thought would be the most likely US airbase that may also have such facilities, Andrews AFB, and it doesn't look like they do (instead they have a several 'drive through' hangars that I'm guessing they use for loading and unloading of passenger aircraft).

Edited to add: Didn't finish my thought, I was curious what other military airbases have such facilities (or maybe NAS Norfolk is the only one ...).

Original post

Member for

13 years 7 months

Norfolk has a really fancy terminal in comparison to most NALO/MAC places I've been. Being sort of the nerve center for the USN, I'm sure a bit more money went into it than other places.......the Hampton Roads area makes up the largest Naval Base concentration in the world if I'm not mistaken. Either way, the air terminal is much like a civilian class D airport terminal. I've not been to Andrews or Dover, but I'm guessing they might have similar facilities due to the amount of high level traffic passing in and out of those places.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Most efficient way of moving personnel long distances is via airliners either military owned variants or civillian charters.

Member for

16 years 4 months

I've not been to Andrews or Dover, but I'm guessing they might have similar facilities due to the amount of high level traffic passing in and out of those places.

No airway at Dover. Most passengers are taken to/from the terminal to the aircraft on busses. The airway at the passenger terminal at NAS Norfolk is used on a regular/daily basis, common to see contract 767/757/airbus and Navy C-40's use it. C-9's (increasingly rare) seem to park on the tarmac. Other frequnt users of the ramp near the passenger terminal include C-5, C-17, C-130, DC-8 and an occasional 747.

Member for

13 years 7 months

Yep, there was a contract 767 and several C-40's on the ramp last time I was at the Norfolk terminal. BTW how is San Diego? I miss that place a lot :)