If Mirage 4000 was bought, would Rafale exist?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 5 months

If Frenchies or Saudies ended up ordering Mirage 4000, would Rafale program even exist?

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/8/1/2/1344218.jpg

Original post

Member for

14 years 2 months

Did that actually fly or was it just a static model?

I ask this because I can't seem to find any air intakes in that pic.

Member for

14 years 5 months

1st : BW :D

Cheers .

Member for

14 years 10 months

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYueaFelZ9U

it flew quite nicely, in fact :D

and, in answer to Hotdog, yes, the rafale program would exist, as it was the next generation from the M2000/M4000

I agree, the Rafale is a whole generation ahead of M2000/4000..
M4000 was a great success as it was the only western high altitude air superiority fighter in 1980's that was considered on par with F-15.

Member for

19 years

If Frenchies or Saudies ended up ordering Mirage 4000, would Rafale program even exist?

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/8/1/2/1344218.jpg

Yes I think. The 4000 is our F15 while the Rafale is the F22 (though the 4000 is the same generation and same doctrine as the F15 while the Rafale is another branch than the F22)

Anyway it has been a huge mistake to drop the 4000 IMO.

Member for

14 years 8 months

@ c-seven

I am certain that it is my "big mistake" not to buy a Lamborghini... but somehow, my bet is my banker won't let me anyway... :D

Member for

13 years 4 months

Interesting. Had the M4K been available, it would have competed with Sukhoi for IAF's attention.

Member for

19 years

@ c-seven

I am certain that it is my "big mistake" not to buy a Lamborghini... but somehow, my bet is my banker won't let me anyway... :D

Sure, and my banker agree too. But we needed our F16/ 2000 AND our F15/4000 otherwise we don't answer the market needs fully or we let a huge hole in your offer.

They should have bought 40 or 50 M4000 and pray for other customers to come later. After all that's what they did with the 2000-5 before Taïwan bought the first batch. Without that we'd have missed the F16 blk 52 generation.

Now it's simplier, the Rafale is in the middle...

Member for

14 years 2 months

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYueaFelZ9U

Cheers .

Thanks. It may be just me but I note some similarities to the Rafale...

As interesting as it looks though, the Rafale is a great plane and I'm happy India is buying that instead.:D

Member for

19 years

Thanks. It may be just me but I note some similarities to the Rafale...

As interesting as it looks though, the Rafale is a great plane and I'm happy India is buying that instead.:D

No, you're perfectly right Witcha. There are a lot of similatities between the Rafale and the M4000.
Few people know that the M4000 flew up to 1987 IIRC for aerodynamic developments - close coupled canard - and above all: FBW developments. To a point that when we French compare the development costs of the Rafale with those of the Eurofighter we cheat a little to be honest. The Rafale is a true incremental development of the Mirage 4000

Member for

18 years 1 month

Rafale an incremental development of the 4000? You're kidding.

The M88 is much smaller than the M53.

Member for

14 years 8 months

and a completely different engine, as well, but he was talking about technologies involved of which a certain amount was worked upon with the M4000 prototype

Member for

18 years 9 months

In the end there was no particular need for the M4000 with the French air force. Avionics wise it offered no particular advantage over the M2000 and they didn't need the unrefueled range. Performance of the M2000 with tanker support was more then adequate.

So its only chance was the export market which it would of been hobbled due to the lack of domestic sales. If the Americans hadn't wanted to sell the F-15 to Saudi Arabia then it might of succeded but as that became a non issue it didn't have a chance.

As just like the EAP and Typhoon the M4000 became a very useful tool in the Rafale development program I call it a success.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Too bad Iraq didn't order Mirage 4000s, it would have made short work of Iran's tomcats :diablo:

Member for

24 years 8 months

None missed the Mirage 4000 because the much cheaper Mirage 2000 was at hand. The French style is smaller and smarter. Compared to the Typhoon and the Super Hornet the Rafale is smaller too. when the yardstick (main opponent) was/is the Flanker in all variants.

Member for

19 years 3 months

The whole reason France built Rafale instead of staying in Eurofighter was to get a new carrier-capable aircraft.

Since the specs of Rafale included operating from Foch & Clemenceau, the question must be asked...

How would Mirage 4000 have done as a carrier-based fighter on France's carriers?

That gives you your answer... it was either M4K or Rafale.

Member for

12 years 9 months

[QUOTE=J-20 Hotdog;1853439]If Frenchies or Saudies ended up ordering Mirage 4000, would Rafale program even exist?

The Rafale would still have existed as a 'next' generation follow-on though it's configuration could well have changed. Probably a single engined in between the Gripen and F-35 since the M-4000 was a heavy twin engined system.

Member for

15 years 10 months

I think it would have taken them longer to start with Rafale, so the french navy would have gone with F-18, and Rafale-when it finally would came into being would have been a closer match to F-35.
I think it was a good thing to skip it btw