F-4J/S, AN/AWG-10: what's the AN/APG-59's detection range?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 10 months

This fire control system has been retired long time ago (in 1987) but it seems that it's detection and tracking ranges are still unknown.

Can you provide any information about them?

Original post

Member for

17 years 1 month

From an old forum post by a former F-4J/S tech:

The APG-59 is credited with 1 kw, but that's Pavg, with a 44% duty cycle. Avg. detection range on a 5m.^2 target is 60nm. I don't know if that's for a
50%, 90% or other % probability of detection.

Member for

12 years 10 months

Thank you.

I've googled it and i've found many web pages... but... what's the original source?

Member for

12 years 10 months

P.S.: the F-4K's AN/AWG-11, in service with the RAF, was slightly modified version of the AN/AWG-10.

Is there anything about its performance?

Was there any (official or unofficial) report comparing it with other contemporary radars?

Cheers guys... :)

Member for

19 years 3 months

Two books below describe an actual engagement between the F-4J and MiG-21 over North Vietnam in 1972.

The F-4J locked up on one of four MiG-21s at 25 nautical miles, but lost lock soon. Then at 15 nautical miles it reacquired the target.

But note that at 25 and 15 nautical miles the F-4J had no positive ID of the approaching aircraft, so no BVR shot.

Scream of Eagles: The Dramatic Account of the U.S. Navy's Top Gun Fighter - Page 311

When advised of the MiGs, Pettigrew thought of dropping their wingboard fuel tanks, but decided to wait until one of them had spotted the bandits. They nosed down and gunned north at 500 knots. Almost immediately, Hughes' RIO, LTJG Joe Cruz, got a lock on one of the MiGs. It was an unsual lock given their radars: velocity only, a tough one to hold. Since McCabe, Pettigrew's RIO, didn't have one, Pettigrew gave the lead to Hughes, becoming - as he'd taught so often at Top Gun - Hughes' wingman. The bandits were about 25 miles away, closing swiftly. Suddenly, Cruz lost lock.

US Navy F-4 Phantom II MiG killers: 1972-73 - Page 21

He locked-up the return and called a 900-knot closing velocity before the radar broke lock when the MiG went to beam. At about 15 nautical miles Lt Hughes reacquired the contact and secured another radar lock-up. Pettigrew immediately called his wingman. 'I'll go shooter. You've got the VID (visual identification)',

Member for

12 years 10 months

Thank you very much... ;)

Member for

24 years 8 months

Well, a long time answering, but these diagrams may be of assistance.

Attachments

Member for

9 years

Well, a long time answering, but these diagrams may be of assistance.

This is GOLDEN.. thanks for sharing.

hmm so basically the maximum instrumented range is 200 NMi and detection range for a MiG is 40-45 NMi while for Bomber is 60 NMi (assuming head on and tail aspect)