Air Sea Rescue goes private?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 5 months

Breaking news thought the rumors may have been floating around a while, but the current idiots who are running the country and scrapped everything so far seem to be proposing that the Air Sea Rescue goes private.

I can't see how this would work, what next, private fire brigade, families suing if they don't survive?

The current service is non-profit and therefore the pilots have the right motivation, but they also do a thankless task which is very much overlooked and unrewarded.

Now where is my credit card before I get winched up?

Original post

Member for

16 years 10 months

This has been mooted for a long while, it was definitely spoken about when I was working at Mawgan alongside the resident 203 Sqn Sea King training unit ('04-'05 ish, so not party politics), I seem to remember that it was talked about happening for 2013.
I would image that it would run along similar lines to the Coastguard now.

Member for

17 years 9 months

That’ll be Prince William out of a job then! :D

Member for

16 years 9 months

You are talking about UK search and rescue, military and Maritime and Coastguard Agency? This is not "breaking news" as such if it's the same thing. Search and Rescue - Helicopter (SAR-H) was put in place by the last government as a 25-year PFI starting in 2012. Soteria (CHC, Thales UK and the Royal Bank of Scotland) was selected as preferred bidders by the MoD and the DfT to provide SAR services using 24 S92 helicopters (if I recall Soteria even released pictures of the S92 in their proposed colours). Then the new government came in and suspended the programme, reviewing it as a matter of urgency. No contract was signed for Soteria to actually provide the service, however. Sounds more like it's back on.

Member for

15 years 11 months

You are talking about UK search and rescue, military and Maritime and Coastguard Agency? This is not "breaking news" as such if it's the same thing. Search and Rescue - Helicopter (SAR-H) was put in place by the last government as a 25-year PFI starting in 2012. Soteria (CHC, Thales UK and the Royal Bank of Scotland) was selected as preferred bidders by the MoD and the DfT to provide SAR services using 24 S92 helicopters (if I recall Soteria even released pictures of the S92 in their proposed colours). Then the new government came in and suspended the programme, reviewing it as a matter of urgency. No contract was signed for Soteria to actually provide the service, however. Sounds more like it's back on.

The government having a PFI financed by a bank that is majority owned by the government :)

Member for

15 years 1 month

People already try to sue the SAR guys. My Uncle worked for the MOD once and had to deal with a case where the rescued people sued because the winch crew popped the inflatable raft they'd drifted out to sea on so it didn't get pulled up into the rotor.

Member for

15 years 11 months

People already try to sue the SAR guys. My Uncle worked for the MOD once and had to deal with a case where the rescued people sued because the winch crew popped the inflatable raft they'd drifted out to sea on so it didn't get pulled up into the rotor.

I'd be tempted to smack them in the mouth :mad:

Member for

15 years 7 months

Na fnck it counter sue 'em for workplace bullying. Or ask them if they like a lift to go back and get it (we'll even provide a puncture repair kit)

IF (get it) the plan to reduce our litigatiousness society (and taxpayer funding of the same) comes to fruition then this should no longer be such a problem.

Also those evidencing shock at this seem to be forgeting about Bristow Helicopters long history of providing SAR at home and in the FI (and performing bus journey style troop movements down south as well)

Member for

14 years 5 months

chuck 'em back in

Member for

19 years

A few years back

Woman after rescue by 771 Sea King wrote to ask where to send the bill for her ripped dress.

771 wrote back to ask where to send the £10k+ bill for the rescue.

Funnily enough...................no reply:D

Breaking news thought the rumors may have been floating around a while, but the current idiots who are running the country and scrapped everything so far seem to be proposing that the Air Sea Rescue goes private.

I can't see how this would work, what next, private fire brigade, families suing if they don't survive?

The current service is non-profit and therefore the pilots have the right motivation, but they also do a thankless task which is very much overlooked and unrewarded.

Now where is my credit card before I get winched up?

I couldn't agree more especially as PFI has generally proved to be a very expensive option.

I'd like us to consider the US example of using a mix of regulars and full time reservists. The reservists would be personnel are who already fully trained but taking away the issue of providing accommodation etc. thus saving money?

Member for

18 years 6 months

Ne real surprise it was always on the card whatever, the Tories love privatising stuff!

I do agree that the UK should look at adopting the US model of reservist pilots it would offer cost savings whilst maintaining capability.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Ne real surprise it was always on the card whatever, the Tories love privatising stuff!

I do agree that the UK should look at adopting the US model of reservist pilots it would offer cost savings whilst maintaining capability.

That would be better than nothing but the way it is going they'll be adopting the Ryan air model if the Government gets their way.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Dont blame just the tories, who signed FSTA?

good idea about crewing though

Member for

16 years 10 months

This is where a bit of research or even reading previous posts comes in handy, this privatising of the SAR fleet idea came from and was initiated from the previous government

Member for

18 years 6 months

This is where a bit of research or even reading previous posts comes in handy, this privatising of the SAR fleet idea came from and was initiated from the previous government

Respectfully I know fully well that the previous Labour government initiated the process of privatisation of SAR, actually I find your suggestion that I don't do research or even look at previous posts rather insulting!:mad:

My point was the Conservatives like privatising things a fact well born out by history! If you would do a bit of research of lets say the 1980's you would find that to be the case...

Member for

20 years 6 months

Interesting thread.

SAR (H) in Ireland has been fully privatised since circa 2004. Prior to that SAR was shared by the Irish Air Corps' (IAC) Dauphin's/Alouette's/S61N and the Irish Coast Guard's (ICG) S61N's.

The ICG helicopters are owned and operated by CHC (previously known as Bond Helicopters?).
(The contract with CHC was renewed last year for a 10 year period).

Personally I would have preferred for the IAC to have retained SAR (H) - or at the very least have a mix of military/civilian pilots and crews operating ICG helicopters. However the powers-that-be went with the fully privatised version - as now also appears to be happening in the UK.

(Incidentially the new IAC AW139's do have winches in place, but I believe these are only used for 'fast roping' training, etc with the Irish Army Ranger Wing and the Garda Emergency Response Unit, and no dedicated SAR training now takes place within the IAC).

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/1018043/M/Agusta-Westland-AW139/274/Irish-Air-Corps/?&sid=9117543074&sp=103

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/1025257/M/Agusta-Westland-AW139/275/Irish-Air-Corps/?&sid=9117543074&sp=43

Having said all that, the ICG has done an excellent job with it's SAR (H) remit and actually now covers the whole island of Ireland (which was exemplified by an ICG S61N assisting at the tragic incident in N.I yesterday).

Indeed many ICG pilots and crew are also ex-military - IAC, RAF etc.

I wonder what other countries have privatised SAR (H), and what has their experience being of it?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Just remembered - the United Arab Emirates Air Force use private AW139's for SAR.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Interesting thread.

SAR (H) in Ireland has been fully privatised since circa 2004. Prior to that SAR was shared by the Irish Air Corps' (IAC) Dauphin's/Alouette's/S61N and the Irish Coast Guard's (ICG) S61N's.

The ICG helicopters are owned and operated by CHC (previously known as Bond Helicopters?).
(The contract with CHC was renewed last year for a 10 year period).

Personally I would have preferred for the IAC to have retained SAR (H) - or at the very least have a mix of military/civilian pilots and crews operating ICG helicopters. However the powers-that-be went with the fully privatised version - as now also appears to be happening in the UK.

(Incidentially the new IAC AW139's do have winches in place, but I believe these are only used for 'fast roping' training, etc with the Irish Army Ranger Wing and the Garda Emergency Response Unit, and no dedicated SAR training now takes place within the IAC).

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/1018043/M/Agusta-Westland-AW139/274/Irish-Air-Corps/?&sid=9117543074&sp=103

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/1025257/M/Agusta-Westland-AW139/275/Irish-Air-Corps/?&sid=9117543074&sp=43

Having said all that, the ICG has done an excellent job with it's SAR (H) remit and actually now covers the whole island of Ireland (which was exemplified by an ICG S61N assisting at the tragic incident in N.I yesterday).

Indeed many ICG pilots and crew are also ex-military - IAC, RAF etc.

I wonder what other countries have privatised SAR (H), and what has their experience being of it?

Problem I see is that yes there is a load of ex-Military trained crews which are OK short term, but when these run out, where do the next generation come form? you have to train up new crews and the cost rises.