14 years 4 months

http://defensetech.org/2010/11/09/f-117s-back-in-the-air/

Discuss

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

Moderator Message

No more off-topic postings, please.

Persistent off-topic posting can be deemed to be deliberate disruptive behaviour.

If you don't like the thread for any reason, then just ignore it! There are plenty of others.

Thanks

GA

Member for

14 years 4 months

I can imagine its either:

1. They are testing new radars on it.

2. They are qualifying weapons on it.

3. They want to use it as a Uav.

4. They plan on reactivating them hopefully with skin and sensor upgrades.

Member for

14 years 6 months

1. F-117 never carried any radar, it has no radome and also no place to install one, I wonder why would anyone want to choose this platform for radar testing.
2. Qualifying weapons for a platform that has already been phased out makes no sense.
3. Possible, although strange.
4. I am not sure if they are not way too much beaten for that. Besides that, F-117s are not unified, almost every machine is a bit different from others, it would be an upgrade nightmare.

But they could eventually be using them for weapon separation tests given the fact that it is one of few types with internal weapon bay (?). Just thinking out loud..

Member for

20 years 5 months

Regarding point 1, MSphere, I think jessmo24 was thinking in terms of the 'new radar' being pointed at the Wobblin' Goblin rather than being mounted aboard it. :)

Member for

14 years 6 months

Regarding point 1, MSphere, I think jessmo24 was thinking in terms of the 'new radar' being pointed at the Wobblin' Goblin rather than being mounted aboard it. :)

OK, makes sense now.. :)

Member for

14 years 11 months

5. They are testing new radar against it.

Member for

18 years 7 months

5. They are testing new radar against it.

That would be my guess. The radar reflective characteristics of the F-117 would be well known by the contractors and AF. Also it's a relatively simple aircraft to model thanks to its faceted shape which makes it easier to compare computer models versus reality.

Also the F-117 was designed for a RCS skin so it's probably easier to replace that skin with newer ones, i.e. F-35, and compare the difference.