The Warrior Strain - Film 1919

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years

Is this anything in these images, taken from the film 'The Warrior Strain' (released March 1919) to suggest the location?

Attachments
Original post

Member for

16 years 10 months

Bearing in mind that other locations for the film were in Eridge and London SW1, might the airfield location have been closer to London than Old Sarum? After all, in 1919 there wasn't exactly a dearth of former WW1 airfields, with Bessonneaux and Belfast Truss hangars, in the Home Counties from which to chose. 

Member for

11 years

Many thanks for the imput. I have just read, Weekly Dispatch (London), Sunday, 9 February 1919, that the scenes featuring 'the Handley-Page machines' were filmed 'at the Kenley aerodrome'. Perhaps the photos I sent in were also filmed at Kenley.  I note that D 656 is visible in one of my shots. Any reason to associate this plane with Kenley in February 1919?

Member for

18 years 6 months

If you Google 'largeScaleDelals.com 32077 32078' you will find a series of marks for Sopwith Dolphin's, one is shown that looks identical to the one in the background of the image of two cadets scrapping. The scale decals note has it being 93 Sqn Kenley. 

Wiki says 93 reformed in October 1918 with Sopwith Dolphins but disbanded a month later. 

Member for

11 years

Many thanks for that but when I copied and pasted that into Google it did not work.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Sorry, would have helped if I had spelt it correctly!

Try 'Large Scale Decals 32078' in a google search, 

Member for

11 years 6 months

I can't find any details on D656, an Airco DH.9, but I notice that other aircraft in the same serial batch, such as D658 and 659 are listed as being at No. 7 Air Acceptance Park, Kenley in 1919 so it's certainly possible it was there too.

Member for

11 years

Many thanks, to all, for the assistance.