Lockheed 12A Electra Junior accident (fatal) , Chino 15.06.24 and another 12 A crash 17/6/24

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

4 years 8 months

https://asn.flightsafety.org/wikibase/389722

Yanks Air Museum at Chino operate one in these colours, but identity remains unconfirmed at present.

Attachments
Original post
Profile picture for user Vahe.D

Member for

3 years 10 months

The Lockheed Model 12A Electra Junior which crashed shortly after takeoff from Chino Airport was built as a C-40A with serial number 38-540, and it along with many other C-40s was redesignated UC-40. It was loaned to the Yanks Air Museum in 1998 and was restored to static display in 2006.  

Link:

https://yanksair.org/exhibition/lockheed-uc-40a-electra-jr/

Member for

4 years 8 months

All the evidence ( including this photo) is the the crew attempted to tale off with full flap deployed, in which condition climbing, or even sustained flight is not possible.  Witnesses describe the aircraft climbing steeply, stalling, dropping a wing and impacting in a steep nose down attitude. There was an explosion and fire on impact. 

Attachments

Member for

24 years 5 months

The right seater Frank Wright , the Museum Principal had gotten his twin rating in 2020, not the captain. The captain has been flying for decades. Mike Gilles the captain's record is on Linked in, but I can't seem to post the link. At one point he flew for Eastern Airlines -1989-1991 it states . 

Member for

4 years 8 months

Another 12 A crash 17 June at Seven Lakes airport. G.A

he 1936 twin-engine Lockheed 12A was attempting to land at Seven Lakes Airport shortly before 8 p.m. when it crashed into a tree. Three people were on board. They were all air-lifted to area hospitals.

https://asn.flightsafety.org/wikibase/389799

Attachments

Member for

15 years 2 months

Sad news, and so odd that two of a rare type have incidents so close in time to each other.

Member for

4 years 8 months

In a further twist, the co pilot was You Tube flight safely commentator Dan Gryder, whose Probable Cause channel was quick to decide the cause of Saturday's Lockheed crash.

All three crew were airlifted to hospitals in the local area.  Their condition remains unknown.

Member for

24 years 5 months

Looking at where the tree finished up, I'm astonished the crew were in any condition worth taking to hospital. 

Member for

4 years 8 months

From Andrew Gryder fb page.

''June 18, 2024

4pm ET

I am at the hospital with my dad Dan Gryder, Glenn Hancock, and Jason Woods. All three were life flighted last night around 9pm to Grady Hospital. Currently, my dad and Jason are in surgery and Glenn is recovering with his family. My dad and Jason both suffered severe compound leg fractures and were pinned in the Electra for 1-2 hours as hot oil poured onto Jason’s leg. Glenn crawled out after impact and is now managing the pain of 7 broken ribs and several more flesh wounds.

Thank you all for the outpouring of love and support for these guys. Truly thankful that there was no fire as hundreds of pounds of fuel spilled out of the wreckage. We will try to keep you posted as they get out of surgery and begin the road to recovery.''

Member for

24 years 5 months

How the hell did that tree not kill the lot of them? From the moment of touchdown, their guardian angel was doing overtime!