Spitfire MkI/II replica - who's markings?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

My replica Spitfire is coming on leaps and bounds, the paint will be ordered any day and I will soon have to submit the markings for the painters.

I sort of like the Dunkirk era with the black and white recognition wings and maybe Al Deeres let's park it on the beach scheme (recently featured)

But, is there a gap that needs to be filled ?

Is there a pilot always overlooked ?

If you have any ideas, post it here.

cheers Baz

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

AG Malan.

Member for

16 years 10 months

I've always had a soft spot for P9386, 19 Squadron with the yellow spinner IMO other than the "night & white" undersides, one of the few variations on dark earth/dark green of the period.

Corgi did a very nice 1/32 scale die-cast of it a few years back, oversized yellow roundels as well, it just "looks" the part to me.

Edit: apologies for trying to teach you to suck eggs - I just browsed your WWW page and saw the postcard of Brian Lane's aircraft ! Look forward to seeing whatever scheme you choose.

Member for

18 years

In recognition of a few of the Few, especially those often overlooked and/or forgotton, during the period Dunkirk/ Battle of Britain. How about N3093 W-QJ: 'The Virgin' Spitfire of Denys Gillam of 616 Squadron. Most of the others represented in paintings and models etc have had a good airing: give the forgotten men a chance.

Best Wishes.
Robert.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Al Deere's "Kiwi"??

Never been done on a full size Spit since the originals....

After all, Al Deere is hardly unknown, yet his aircraft have been overlooked for years by operators of current flying Spits (and replicas). I'm surprised the BBMF haven't honoured him yet on their Baby Spit. Seems that it took his own nephew to do the job!! I know...I should fork out the money to restore a Mk1, and do it myself!!

Sorry I'm biased...reading Nine Lives as a kid is what got me into the whole historic aviation thing!

Regards;
Steve

Member for

17 years 6 months

Standford Tuck who knows what his score would have been had he not been shot down and captured.:)

Richard Hilary (603 Squadron)
John Cutts (222 Squadron)

The latter would represent one of the unknown names of the Battle of Britain, missing on 4 September 1940.

I have a photo of both aircraft, btw.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Some two names

Stanford Tuck. I think as he probably would have gone on to score a lot more kills.

Member for

17 years 3 months

Markings

Brendan "Paddy" Finucane 65 Squadron
Robert Doe 234 Squadron

Member for

19 years 5 months

Why not 610 squadron that I think were based in Cornwall Devon at some point during the war. No access to books today so cant check but a quck internet check brought up the following .

1940: Sgt/P R.F. Hamlyn (610 Sqn) becomes 'Ace in a day' (5 kills) R6891 DW-Q

80244 Ronald Fairfax Hamlyn DFM (The Pied Piper) of Harrogate

Joined No 610 Squadron on the 6th of June 1940 he was 23 years old. Hamlyn destroyed two enemy aircraft before the 24th of August. On the 24th of August he destroyed a Ju 88 and four Bf 109s. He was the first pilot in the RAf to shoot down five enemy aircraft in one day.

Hamlyn then destroyed Bf 109s on the 26th, 27th, 28th and the 30th of August. Hamlyn was awarded the D.F.M. on the 13th of September 1940 and the A.F.C. on the 1st of January 1943.He rose to the rank of Wing Commander. He died on 7th May 1991.

Member for

19 years

Spitfire paint job

Some good ideas which had me rummaging through my books.

On my MkIX, I put 2 different sqdns on, one either side which works quite well and I chose airframes of relatively 'unknown' pilots for the purpose of being original. I am thinking now of doing the same for my MkII. I still like the idea of Al Deeres 'Kiwi' on the port side and a toss up between Tuck or Robert Whittons idea of a 610 machine (with those over sized codes) the other. Problem with this is the spinner and propellers were a different make and shape, so purists will only be able to view one side:rolleyes:

Thankyou for your inputs thus far, no final decision yet.

cheers
Baz

Member for

19 years 4 months

how about al deere on one side and a 457 sqn raaf on the other, they fought during the battle of britian before beeing sent back home to defend dawin.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Eric Lock or Tim Vigors.

How about Eric Lock of 41 Squadron.
A fantastic pilot and ace, very rarely see much about him.
Another favourite would be Tim Vigors of 222 Squadron. I have just finished reading his book and can't praise it highly enough.
Gerry

Member for

17 years 3 months

Any OTU scheme - preferably like the AR213 Hawarden scheme with the slightly mental stripes on the nose....

Member for

19 years

Any OTU scheme - preferably like the AR213 Hawarden scheme with the slightly mental stripes on the nose....

these one's................no can do, needs to be green and brown..........

Member for

16 years 1 month

How about doing it in Luftwaffe markings like the ones they captured, bet no one has done that before, hows that for thinking out of the box? Eh Baz;)

Member for

19 years

How about doing it in Luftwaffe markings like the ones they captured, bet no one has done that before, hows that for thinking out of the box? Eh Baz;)

aha! This one was captured and fitted with a smoke making device, featured in many German periodicals......but that's not what you had in mind mien friend is it?.

Member for

19 years

How about Eric Lock of 41 Squadron.
A fantastic pilot and ace, very rarely see much about him.
Another favourite would be Tim Vigors of 222 Squadron. I have just finished reading his book and can't praise it highly enough.
Gerry

Eric Lock, a great pilot, what is the book on Tim Vigors??

Member for

19 years

Why not 610 squadron that I think were based in Cornwall Devon at some point during the war. No access to books today so cant check but a quck internet check brought up the following .

1940: Sgt/P R.F. Hamlyn (610 Sqn) becomes 'Ace in a day' (5 kills) R6891 DW-Q

80244 Ronald Fairfax Hamlyn DFM (The Pied Piper) of Harrogate

Joined No 610 Squadron on the 6th of June 1940 he was 23 years old. Hamlyn destroyed two enemy aircraft before the 24th of August. On the 24th of August he destroyed a Ju 88 and four Bf 109s. He was the first pilot in the RAf to shoot down five enemy aircraft in one day.

Hamlyn then destroyed Bf 109s on the 26th, 27th, 28th and the 30th of August. Hamlyn was awarded the D.F.M. on the 13th of September 1940 and the A.F.C. on the 1st of January 1943.He rose to the rank of Wing Commander. He died on 7th May 1991.

not the same airframe , but close.....

Member for

19 years

I've always had a soft spot for P9386, 19 Squadron with the yellow spinner IMO other than the "night & white" undersides, one of the few variations on dark earth/dark green of the period.

Corgi did a very nice 1/32 scale die-cast of it a few years back, oversized yellow roundels as well, it just "looks" the part to me.

Edit: apologies for trying to teach you to suck eggs - I just browsed your WWW page and saw the postcard of Brian Lane's aircraft ! Look forward to seeing whatever scheme you choose.

:)

Member for

20 years 6 months

I'd go for Jeffrey Quill's Spitfire during his period of operational flying in the Battle. I think it was R6775 YT-J with a huge 'East India Fund Flight' logo.

Attachments