WW2 radio callsigns

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 5 months

As part of a school project the 11 year old son of a pal of mine is doing a presentation about his Great Uncle who was a flight engineer lost on a mission with 12Sqn in August 23/24 1943.
I have found out the details he needed from the Bomber Command losses books but have been stumped by his question of what was the Lancasters radio call sign. We all know about the use of the phonetic alphabet for instance B-Baker, G-george, S-sugar and so on. The aircraft in question was DV158 PH-A2. What affect would the "2" have on the callsign or would it still have been A-Apple. Any ideas folks. perhaps Lancman and Hallibag are the experts.
Regards to all. Phil.A.

Original post

Member for

24 years 5 months

RE: WW2 radio callsigns

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-03-02 AT 10:04 AM (GMT)]Ok lads and lasses I know its not the most absorbing of topics but not even one "view" ! :(
Can anybody point me somewhere else ( no rude replies thankyou :) )to find the answer. Anybody know an ex W/OP they could ask perhaps ?
Cheers, Phil A.

OH DEAR !! My apologies for the above missive, there must have been a problem on the website as it appeared to me that there had been zero views of the topic, and me adding to it seems to have rocketed up to the top of the list somehow. Isn't technology wonderful in the right hands :+

Member for

24 years 5 months

yeh since the alst upgrade a topic with no repiles gets zero views. i cna ensure everyone that i ahve read every yopic on all 3 boards so its a software problem.

rabie :9

Member for

24 years 5 months

If there are no replies, then the number of views listed, doesn't get updated.
I always look at all postings, but only reply if I have something to say.

Cheers,
Neilly

Member for

24 years 5 months

I'm not sure how much use this will be, but here goes...

There are two publications that list codes CD0272(5) RT War Call Signs - Ground Stations & Aircraft Home and CD0270(3). The first lists all the stations in the UK (RAF & USAAF) and references them to sets of call signs in the second publication, which are listed in blocks of 5 or 2. The base or station would then allocate the call signs from these blocks to its units.
Unfortunately the Public Record Office only has the last edition of each of these publications, which I believe ran from Spring 44 to the end of the war.
Therefore for this period Wickenby was Grateful and 12 Sqn either (5) Fisher, Athirst, Whitelie, Relate or Changeround; (2)Brylcream or Liedown.
Sorry I cannot relate the codes for 43. Hopefully this may jog someone's memory

Nitram