Messerschmitt 109-E.....where??

Read the forum code of contact

Can anyone identify the town where this Me 109 is being displayed? I know that it is somewhere in the North of England, possibly the NE.

Original post

Just bumping this back up.....

Nobody able to identify the distinctive building(s) in the background to put a name to the venue in the north-east??

Member for

15 years 6 months

Well I grew up around Hull, (never mind!), the building to the left look like what is now the Fisheries Museum, I think formerly the town hall. That would make the display ground what is now either Queens Gardens or Princes Quay. Then again it coud be somewhere else entirely!

Thank you both!

Hull it certainly seems to be.....

Member for

24 years 8 months

re

have they rammed a Spitfire canopy on it?

Profile picture for user Peter

Member for

24 years 8 months

Something tells me I have seen this picture before.. there is no canopy on it in the picture. Was this something to do with generating funds for the RAF or something?

This was one of a number of Me 109's displayed around the UK during 1940/41 to raise funds for the Spitfire fund. Am currently doing an article on them for "another magazine".

This particular aircraft was flown by Ltn Berhard Malischewski who made a controlled crash-landing at Smallhythe, nr Tenterden, on 12 October 1940.

For added value and interest....here is a mugshot of Herr Malischewski!

Member for

24 years 8 months

re

Is this one of the survivors?

No.

After a display "tour" it went back to 49 MU at Faygate and thence on to the processing yard at Aderbury.

Sadly, no more....although this is possibly from it:

Member for

24 years 8 months

Dave Williams (who for some reason can't post on this site) asked me top post this image as he wonders if it is the same Me 109E

Attachments

No, that is Oblt Bartels Me 109 of II/JG26 which was downed on 24 July 1940 near Margate and is seen here on display at Croydon. This was a postcard sold to raise funds for Spitfire fund. An NFS fireman, a Mr Solly, was fined £5 for removing a pistol from the cockpit. But that wasn't all that was stolen from it.....!

Member for

24 years 8 months

Andy

Dave says 'Thanks' and while you are on a roll..

"said to be in Sheffield but I'm not sure"

Attachments

Yes, I have that as Sheffield but not been able to confirm it. Someone will!

The aeroplane is White 5 flown by Uffz Hans-Georg Shulte of 7/JG 53, landed at Vincents Farm, Manston, on 6 September 1940.

Any others....?

I must get out more.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Andy

Thanks again!

Dave has sent me a few more

First the Me109's

Paul

Attachments

Left....dunno. Its a "G". My interest stops in the Messerschmitt alphabet at "E"....;)

Middle is Paul Temme's 109 down at Salts Farm, right by Shoreham Airport. The photo has been doctored by a censor who has painted in non existent hills (yes, I know the South Downs are there...but these aint they!) and painted out the airport buildings! It was exhibited later in Hackney and Watford before being broken up.

Right is Wolfgang Teumer's machine....now at Hendon.

Hey....at this rate my magazine article will be "old-hat" by the time its published. Maybe this way "FlyPast" will get it by default and without having to bite the bullet and publish one of my articles!:diablo:

Member for

18 years 4 months

Anyone got pics of Pingles machine?After the war I heard he copped a hard time at home for presenting the RAf with his 109.

Member for

15 years 8 months

Far left is of course Canberra's famous G-6. What I'd like to know is how all these captured E's and early G's ended up with Erla Haubes post war and then where did they all go! Back six had an Erla Haube and it dissapeared and the Hendon E had an Erla Haube too, must have been the fashionable thing to do in the 60's!

Anyone got pics of Pingles machine?After the war I heard he copped a hard time at home for presenting the RAf with his 109.

I have lots of photos of Pingel, his 109 F etc. Corresponded with Rolf Pingel and sent him, years ago, a desk model of a 109 F cast from alloy of his old aeroplane. He was made up with it!

I recently did a biggish article about his 109 in "Britain at War" magazine and a piece on it in 1979 for "After The Battle" mag.

Member for

16 years 11 months

No, that is Oblt Bartels Me 109 of II/JG26 which was downed on 24 July 1940 near Margate and is seen here on display at Croydon. This was a postcard sold to raise funds for Spitfire fund. An NFS fireman, a Mr Solly, was fined £5 for removing a pistol from the cockpit. But that wasn't all that was stolen from it.....!

WOW!:)

Member for

18 years 4 months

It,s a small world

I have lots of photos of Pingel, his 109 F etc. Corresponded with Rolf Pingel and sent him, years ago, a desk model of a 109 F cast from alloy of his old aeroplane. He was made up with it!

I recently did a biggish article about his 109 in "Britain at War" magazine and a piece on it in 1979 for "After The Battle" mag.

Cheers Andy,
Ask this as quite a few years ago a small model shop here had a small club of guys whom I was a member.One of the other guys wife was a grandchild,(niece???) of Rolf and remember the conversation regarding the "After the Battle" magazine that was for sale at the store.The wife was quite proud of Rolf and could never understand why he got a hard time from his service as he was a Spanish civil war veteran,a Staffel leader (IIRC) and a very good pilot.Think (chancing old memory here) he was one of the first pilots to shoot down an enemy plane in the 109.As they say chance is sometimes a pilots best friend.