Spitfire XVIII SM969 has flown

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

Just had a TXT from BWB to say that at 4pm (US time) today Jim Beasley test flew his Spitfire SM969 at Chester County Airport. This is of course the ex-TFC, ex-WoGB airframe overhauled at Duxford over the last two years by a team including BWB himself. Big congratulations to all involved and great to hear that this little flown or seen Spitfire will get some regular air under its wings after a previous "restored career " of only 8 hrs with the Arnolds.:)

Roobarb

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

Good stuff - I saw it at the end of its last flight, from Biggin to Bournemouth.

Together with a small team, I then dismantled it before it spent ten years in a container.

A couple of years ago, it spent 18 months under my office window - this is a much better home for the beast!

Bruce

Member for

19 years 5 months

Further update, it's just landed safely and is now tucked up in the hangar.:)

Member for

21 years 1 month

Great news!
Thanks Roobarb for the info.

BG

Member for

21 years 1 month

Great news. Congrats to the TFC team for a job well done!

Member for

16 years 4 months

Fantastic news. Congratulations to all involved.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Excellent news. Does that mean work on the Mk22 will commence soon?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Very very nice.

Mark

Images via Jim Beasley
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/18-SM96921Dec2008IMG_4805_2a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%204/18-SM96921Dec2008IMG_4792_2a.jpg

Member for

17 years 1 month

Shame we didn't see more of her here but...

better "in the air over there" than in a crate or pile of parts etc...

anyway - I bought my own - not sure that prop is quite right but not many late marque Spitfires around compared with Merlin versions...

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/HM-HA7105

Member for

20 years 6 months

It is a source of wonder to me (and i would imagine the guys at TFC) that an aircraft which cannot be flown in it's land of construction with all the backup one might need, can suddenly become airworthy 4000 miles from home! Anyway great to see it fly. The last time I saw it fly was at the "Reno-style" air race at Cranfield in the 80s. Happy Days.

Member for

19 years 5 months

It is a source of wonder to me (and i would imagine the guys at TFC) that an aircraft which cannot be flown in it's land of construction with all the backup one might need, can suddenly become airworthy 4000 miles from home!

I understand that within the UK there was concern in some quarters that the Pegasus horse artwork had been fed oats of an unknown traceability and there was some notable visible mutation showing a change from the original design specification and that this had caused anxiety and nausia amongst viewing enthusiasts and that flight line walkers had been observed to depart from controlled directional path on observing it at Legends '08 :dev2:

Member for

21 years 3 months

I understand that within the UK there was concern in some quarters that the Pegasus horse artwork had been fed oats of an unknown traceability and there was some notable visible mutation showing a change from the original design specification and that this had caused anxiety and nausia amongst viewing enthusiasts and that flight line walkers had been observed to depart from controlled directional path on observing it at Legends '08 :dev2:

Rest assured, the artwork in question is on on borrowed time and is going to be repainted in the new year.

Member for

21 years 1 month

There's something about the XVIII that makes it look so.... right in those photos. Certainly my favourite of the late-mark Griffon Spits (after the 24).

Member for

17 years 1 month

There's something about the XVIII that makes it look so.... right in those photos. Certainly my favourite of the late-mark Griffon Spits (after the 24).

Daz - follow my link above, the site there is in the USA but they do decent views of the model, you can pick up one these lovelies easily in the UK.

Go on, treat yourself for xmas..... you know you want to....

Member for

19 years 5 months

Rest assured, the artwork in question is on on borrowed time and is going to be repainted in the new year.

Repainted? I thought it had been done in crayons...:D

Member for

21 years 1 month

Daz - follow my link above, the site there is in the USA but they do decent views of the model, you can pick up one these lovelies easily in the UK.

Go on, treat yourself for xmas..... you know you want to....

Bloody hell, that is nice....

I'm tempted! :p

Member for

19 years 8 months

Nice one BWB....Great to see her flying.

Are you coming home for Christmas now?:D

Member for

17 years 1 month

Bloody hell, that is nice....

I'm tempted! :p

They also do a MK-XIV which I don't like so much (Merlin Spits "should" be high backed, Griffon engined "low" backed IMHO) but top quality, seen them in the local "Model Zone" ... its Xmas, treat yourself.....