Gun Turret Control?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 9 months

I was wondering if any members might be able to tell me a little more about the gun turret control that (hopefully) is shown in the images below.

I was given it about 12 years ago from a chap who told be it was from a Canadian built Lancaster, however I have no idea how true this is. I was wondering if any forum members might be able to tell me what it might have come from.

Any help would be great,

Johnnie

Attachments
Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

Hi there,

The instruction plate in your 2nd photo identifies the controls as being from a Martin 250CE mid-upper turret, equipped with 2 x .50 Cal guns. This turret was indeed used on later Canadian Lancasters. It was also used on the A-20, B-24 and B-26, among others.

See here for some info:
http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/airgunners3.html

Im not sure, but the '23A' stamp may identify the aircraft? Perhaps someone else will help on that...

Member for

17 years 4 months

C23 & C23a designates use on Lancaster VII (& I would presume the Canadian built Lancaster X).
Bill

Member for

15 years 9 months

Thank you very much for the information. I have had it for a number of years and was never sure if it was Lancaster related. I was given it as the previous owner knew I was interested in Bomber Command as my grandfather was a rear gunner on the Stirling
and Halifax.

Does anybody have any idea of date? Would it be late war or post war?

Johnnie

Member for

18 years 2 months

Well, assuming it's from a Lancaster, as Ballykelly suggests, the Lancaster VII was a late war version. (someone else should have a date) I have also read that the Martin CE250 equipped Lancasters were too late to see service during WW2. (Anyone confirm?)

Member for

15 years 9 months

Thanks for that. Well its nice to know that it is indeed from a Lancaster (and probably a MkX).

I will be posting a few other aircraft parts over the next few days that some members might be able to identify. I have had them all for rather a long time, and feel its time to clear the loft out so have stumbled across quite a few things I forgot I had.

Johnnie