Less Common Transport Aircraft

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

Here's another favorite uncommon transport...the prototype Cessna 620.
It was a brave attempt to produce an all new business aircraft.
That was something fairly rare in the 50s when it was cheaper to buy a used DC-3, converted A-26, or modified Lockheed like the Learstar (and other conversions) or a slightly used...or even new...Convair 240/340/440.

It had a six foot cabin, something that many bizjets wouldn't have for a long time.

They built it, THEN did a cost and market analysis. It's price (a reported $300-400,000) was too high for the market to bear.

Attachments
Profile picture for user battle_damaged

Member for

19 years 8 months

Hi JB,

A brave attempt indeed, and not a bad looker. But may I put that price tag in perspective?

In 1954, according to Time magazine, bolstered by a large order from Canada for 640 Cranes (T-50), Dwane L. Wallace, 28, president of Cessna and nephew of its founder, Clyde Cessna, announced a new line of 'big civilian planes, helicopters and light military jets'. It was referring to the 620, the 310, the CH-1 helicopter and the T-37 trainer.

The description of the 620 was: 'A four-engined Cessna 620 executive transport, to give flying executives the big-plane comfort, safety and speed they expect at the economy prices they like to pay. With four 320-h.p. Continental engines, Cessna's 620 will carry nine passengers (plus pilot and copilot), cruise at 235 m.p.h. for 1,300 miles, and climb to an altitude of 30,000 ft. Estimated price: about $300,000 v. up to $400,000 for a converted World War II bomber'.

It's the 'v' that seems to have been overlooked, easy to do, whereas he was comparing the price of the 620 being 100,000 less than that of a converted WWII bomber.

It's a pity it wasn't saved for future generations to see, but we know how successful the 310 and T-37 turned out to be!

brgds
Alan

Member for

16 years 1 month

Cessna 620

Was the Cessna 620 designed by the same team as the 310, led I believe by Steve Wittman ?....( he also designed the Cessna spring-steel undercarriage used on the single engine types)

Member for

19 years 10 months

Was the Cessna 620 designed by the same team as the 310, led I believe by Steve Wittman ?....( he also designed the Cessna spring-steel undercarriage used on the single engine types)

In Cessna Engineer/test pilot William D. Thompson's excellent book
Cessna Wings for the World II, Whitman's name does not appear as part of the project 620 group, nor in his discussion of the design or test of the 310. I think by that time, Whitman was in Oskhosh.

Something interesting does get mentioned, that Ted Smith (later of Aerostar fame) suggested that Cessna buy his Aero Commander design which was then in production in Oklahoma. Cessna turned down the offer, preferring a lighter, faster light twin, and one more suited to Cessna production methods (they thought the Aero Commander was too "military" in design and with too many parts).

Since we're on the topic of Cessna...though hardly "less common" in many ways the 310 set the standards for "light" twins...being in a different class than the lighter, lower performing Piper Apache, and smaller lighter than the AeroCommander, or Beech's Twin Bonanza (which is a big airplane).

Mention should also be made of the 310s predessor, the Cessna T-50.
After war use, many surplus Cranes,/AT-17s/UC-78s were convertted not only for private use, but also to equip many of the new "feeder lines" abd charter services popping up across the US and Canada.
Here they are in TV's "Sky King" markings.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 1 month

Less Common C-124 variants

The YC-124B was a prototype for a T34 turboprop powered tanker which wasnt ordered. note the dihedral tailplane ,,,,wonder how fast it was? The JC-124C was a test bed for the nose-mounted massive XT57 turboprop which was to power the cancelled C-132 transport....was there a photo of it flying just on the test engine.....Illustrations and info from Rene J Francillon's Putnam 'McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Vol I'

Was there also a batch of C-124s with door alterations to carry missiles?

Attachments

Member for

16 years 1 month

Britten Norman Stretch Islander

Saw this early summer 1970 at Bembridge, this didn't go into production , but was later chopped around and converted to the prototype Trislander ready for the Farnborough show in September 1970

Attachments

Member for

16 years 10 months

Fortunately 'less common'!! :)....up there with the Farman Jabiru for looks in my eye![/QUOTE]

Is that good then, Longshot...?;) Should have seen the ATT land on the river here two years ago, cor..!

On the C-124, JB shows us a nice model. Thanks for that. Could have been your Dad who gave us the rides...!

Wikipedia likens it to the poor old Princess, so here we go...

G-ALUN at Cowes in 1961
rgds
Alan
www.english-for-flyaways.de[/QUOTE]

ALUN deserves a picture of being in the air!
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u24/PDH999/G-ALUN-on-Solent.jpg

Member for

19 years 10 months

Was there also a batch of C-124s with door alterations to carry missiles?

No record of those. However, the C-133s that had them...fitted on the 133Bs and the final few 133As.

Ther C-124 was an impressive airplane for essentially being late WW II technology (ff of the C-74 was in Sept 1945; C-124 Nov. 1949).

Member for

19 years 8 months

One of the C-124s we got a ride on at Blackbushe was 0-15207 (51-5207) on 3 October 59.

My notes say that it belonged to the 14 TCS of the 322 Air Division.

Such visits were generally organised by Arthur Pearcy and his wife Audrey, both of whom worked there, Arthur in the twr, Audrey at AIS. That was also the only time I have seen Sir Douglas Bader, who had arrived in the Gemini.

Here's a lesser-known transport, some of which I understand have just been ordered:

Member for

16 years 1 month

Beriev 200 amphibian

Imagine catching that from Gatwick to your Black Sea holiday resort. Reminds me a little of the Martin P6M Seamaster (below) which unfortunately wasnt a Transport type! (USN photo from Wikipedia....Seamaster)

Attachments

Member for

19 years 8 months

Can't do you a Seamaster, Longshot, but here's the next best thing, taken by Bob Ruffle at Blackbushe on 4 September 1957...

Member for

16 years 1 month

Can't do you a Seamaster, Longshot, but here's the next best thing, taken by Bob Ruffle at Blackbushe on 4 September 1957...

The Dutch Mariners were Patrol bombers but the USN had them as transports ,too ....in this Life.com shot contract operated by an airline in WWII?...in the South Pacific somewhere

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?q=Transport+source:life&imgurl=abefc1825ab0f541

Attachments

Member for

19 years 8 months

Somewhat smaller, our very own Blackbushe-based SNB-5 BuAer 51105, also courtesy Bob Ruffle:

Member for

16 years 1 month

Beech 18....SNB....C-45...Expeditor....less common versions

Somewhat smaller, our very own Blackbushe-based SNB-5 BuAer 51105, also courtesy Bob Ruffle:

I've scratched around for a less-common version ,best I can find is N445DM, converted to a tri-tail Dumod Liner as in the abpic photo then reportedly stretched another 75 inches? in the Gary Chambers photo on airliners.net

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1039867/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unknown/Beech-TC-45H-Dumodliner-Tri-Gear/0486880/M/

then there are all the turboprop and swept fin versions!!......

Member for

19 years 8 months

I should have mentioned, of course, that it was pre-1960....not terday.

Here's one that did a round-the-world during the 1987 Paris Air Show. On board were Patrick Fourticq, Henri Pescaroloo, Hubert Auriol, and Art Powell.
They wanted to beat Howard Hughes' rtw record, which I believe they did. (they were in the 18, Hughes in a 14)

Attachments

Member for

19 years 8 months

...or how about this one, same year (1987). Wonder if it's been seen since (in service, I mean). Wonder what the Y in Y-12 stands for....YingTong perhaps...;)

Member for

16 years 1 month

I should have mentioned, of course, that it was pre-1960....not terday.

Here's one that did a round-the-world during the 1987 Paris Air Show. On board were Patrick Fourticq, Henri Pescaroloo, Hubert Auriol, and Art Powell.
They wanted to beat Howard Hughes' rtw record, which I believe they did. (they were in the 18, Hughes in a 14)

I figured it was a real SNB rather than a modern-day retro warbird...I probably saw it at the 'Bushe

Hughes was originally going to use the DC-1 which he owned but sold it instead to Lord Forbes....didn't know his L14 fight had been 'replicated'

Attached a Howard 500 (Ventura conversion) taxying past my workplace around 1974...rare...ish!

Attachments

Member for

18 years 9 months

Y= yunshu, transport.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Attached a Howard 500 (Ventura conversion) taxying past my workplace around 1974...rare...ish!

Hmm...where might that have been? Not the former British Eagle hangars by any chance...??
Alan

Ken - thanks for the Y-12 explanation!