RAF Mepal, Cambridgeshire

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 2 months

Hi!

I'm teaching at Sutton Primary School, and our school field looks out onto the remains of RAF Mepal. As an airfield enthusiast myself, I have taken the opportunity to run an after-school club to investigate the history of the airfield. I have most of the main publications from the last twenty years or so, but have seen very few air-to-ground shots of the airfield at any stage of it's career. I am also short of images of the Thor sites, and I would love to get a copy of the large airfield plan that the RAF museum used to stock years ago! Any leads anybody?

Ta!

Original post

Member for

17 years

I'm going to give my stock response, try Airfield Information Exchange you can't go wrong!
The RAFM still hold airfield plans along with the National archives at Kew.
Hopefully someone here can help you aswel.

Member for

17 years 8 months

I know of a few folks on Airfield Information Exchange who may be able to help with some ground shots - It is worth posting a question on there as well - especially if you are into your airfields. Drop me an email via my website as I may be able to get an aerial photo for you.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Had very fleeting visit in failing light to Mepal with 1Group, ironically on the way home from a weekend at REF's! This thread reminds me I must order a set of plans for the place, make some enquiries as we promised ourselves a return visit. A quick recce seems that Mepal has quite a lot to offer in terms of history and physical remains, especially the dispersed sites.

If anyone knows of any local friendly potential contacts, drop me a PM! Also, we found the memorials and the village sign. IS there anything to commemorate the airfield and or its units in any of the local churches etc? Again, a PM would be most appreciated!

Shameless scrounge over! :D

Chris

Member for

17 years 8 months

I tooks some air to ground shots today, the'll appear on my website in the next day or so!

Member for

13 years

Had very fleeting visit in failing light to Mepal with 1Group, ironically on the way home from a weekend at REF's! This thread reminds me I must order a set of plans for the place, make some enquiries as we promised ourselves a return visit. A quick recce seems that Mepal has quite a lot to offer in terms of history and physical remains, especially the dispersed sites.

If anyone knows of any local friendly potential contacts, drop me a PM! Also, we found the memorials and the village sign. IS there anything to commemorate the airfield and or its units in any of the local churches etc? Again, a PM would be most appreciated!

Shameless scrounge over! :D

Chris

There is a memorial in Mepal village, that was tended by a local man for decades until he died in the mid-90s. The old church in the nearby village of Sutton has a memorial chapel to the members of 75 (NZ) Squadron who were killed on operations while flying from Mepal. The roll of honour is also there in the chapel. The vicar is usually happy to open the church to visitors.