Hurricane ID

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 7 months

A freind got a Hurricane mk 1 kit for Christmas, battle of Britain, Polish coded V-UZ v7118 and asked me where to start looking for the info on the squadron etc. Could any one help? Has an interesting logo on both cowlings of what appears to be a goose.

Original post

Member for

24 years 7 months

reference to info for hurricane

thank you for the info, my friend is well pleased! He's just awaiting registration for the forum and his name is hurricane_pilot. please look out for him as i think he is ace!
sadsack

Member for

18 years 8 months

The only two Polish fighter squadrons to take part in the Battle of Britain were 302 and 303.

In the early 1930’s each eskadra of the Polish Air Force adopted an emblem which it displayed on the fuselage of its aircraft. Each Air Regiment used a different geometrical device over which the emblem was displayed. 1st – triangle, 2nd – square, 3rd - diamond, 4th - pentagon, 5th – cross, 6th – disc.

When the Polish Air Force (PAF) reformed in Britain in 1940 the squadrons were formed as much as possible from personnel that had served together in the same pre-war eskadra. 306 Squadron was formed from personnel from the 3rd and 4th Air Regiments. The squadron badge reflects this. The white diamond is from the 3rd Air Regiment. The emblem of the 141st and 142nd Eskadras of the 4th Air Regiment was a wild duck. (The first version had two ducks.) The 141st had blue head and wings and the 142nd green head and wings. The 306 Squadron duck had a green head and blue wings. Above the duck is the bear and staff of Warwick. This was added because the first joint CO of the squadron was S/Ldr Douglas Reginald Scott who came from 605 County of Warwick Squadron.

You will find a couple of photos (1&3) of the Hurricane here: http://www.polishairforce.pl/dyw306zdj.html

There are a number of photographs of 306 Hurricanes at Ternhill (including a better one of the port side of UZ.V) in the Stratus publication Polskie Skrzydła 4 Hawker Hurricane (Polish Wings 4). Not that expensive and you should be able to still find it at the well known online bookshops.

Attachments