helicopter crash beacon hill

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

Such a lot of info on this site. Is there someone out there who can provide some details of a Sioux [I believe] helicopter crash on Beacon Hill Woodeyes Loughborough on 4 February 1972? I knew one of the two Marines on board but have never been able to get more than basic info from RN.

Original post

Member for

19 years 2 months

You would presumably have this information, welcome to the Forum and best wishes for you search!:)

Friday, 4 February 1972

Beacon Hill, Woodeyes, Loughborough, air crash

HODSON, Robert J, Marine, RM 22599

SEYMOUR, Peter B, Lieutenant

Member for

16 years 6 months

Helicopter crash Beacon Hill

Thank you. I do have the info you have given but I am grateful for your input. I have no other info at all except that the two young men were new pilots and the flight was, I understand to give them further logged flying hours. It happened a long time ago but I have kept my diary from the time and feel I would now like to know more.

Member for

17 years

The serial is XT106 "R" of the 3 Commando Brigade,Plymouth,Devon. Hope this helps.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thank you T-21. This is just the sort of info I am looking for. The aircraft was from Coypool, Plymouth. I appreciate the effort everyone is putting in for me. It means a lot.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thank you Newforest. I am amazed that for 35 years I have been looking for this sort of detail. I am not inexperienced in aviation research but am stuck in WW2 with fixed wing a/c. Within a couple of hours I am getting good useful facts. It was a particularly nasty accident, I suppose they all are but the need to know has always been important.

Member for

17 years 4 months

Hi All
It's actualy "Beacon Hill, Woodhouse Eaves", Leicestershire.
If you find Woodhouse Eaves on Google earth, follow Beacon Road west from the village, it climbs past and to the south of Beacon Hill, which is a public country park. You will come to a cross roads with Benscliffe Road.
The crash happened to the south of Beacon road and the east of Benscliffe road, at the highest point, which is a ridge which runs approx NNW / SSE from Beacon Hill. You will be able to make out a carpark at the western end of Beacon Hill, the crash occurred a few hundred yards SSE of this across the other side of Beacon Road.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Ritch Blood.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Helicopter crash beacon hill

Thank you Ritch and Max and Mick B. So much detail in so little time. I hope I can return the favour someday. Does anyone know if I might find local newspaper reports either online or in a newspaper archive in the area? Keep this forum going it is so helpful to all of us.

Member for

19 years 2 months

I tried a local area newspaper search online, but I couldn't go back that far. I think you would need to do a physical search at the newspaper offices or the local library.

Member for

17 years 4 months

News papers in the area.

Hi Annek
The two local newspapers to contact would be the Loughborough Echo and the Leicester Mercury, both still exist and have offices in the named towns.
Just a thought, there is an Army base at Woodhouse Eaves, it was called Garrats Hay, but has recently been re named and become an Army college. could the helicopter have been visiting there? the crash site is about 1 1/2 - 2 miles west of the base.
Keep digging.
Ritch Blood.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Hi Ritch and Max
The helicopter was returning to Coypool Plymouth from 'up country' where the two crew had attended a colleagues funeral. I understand the flight was a means of logging hours.
I do not know which of the crew was the pilot at the time. Both were new pilots.

Member for

16 years 9 months

If the ranks are as stated, then it is more than likely that the pilot would have been Lt Seymour, as the minimum rank for a pilot in Army and RM aircraft at the time of the loss was Sergeant.

However, if Marine Hodson had only recently completed the Army Pilots Course (both Army and RM aircrew were trained together at Middle Wallop) he may have been waiting for his substansive rank of Sergeant to be confirmed, although it is more probable that Mne Hodson was either a passenger, or being trained within his unit.

I went through the APC with a Bootie; if you give me a couple of days I'll get hold of him and see if he can find some info from the 3CBAS/847 Sqn archives.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Hi WG-13

Thank you for your help. I would be glad for any further info you can give. I also thought Mne H's rank was more likely to be Sgt but could'nt find a source for 1972. Wartime stuff is not so hard to get and more modern is still in many people's memories.
I am grateful for your interest.
Anne

Member for

17 years 4 months

Please contact me!

Hi Annek
If you could send me an E-mail address, I have been out Woodhouse way this afternoon, and have a couple of contact addresses for local farms and I took a photo of the general area I can send if you wish.
Ritch Blood.