Air Ministry Film at Kemble

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

An Air Ministry film unit arrived at Kemble during June 1946, using Mosquito, Anson, Typhoon and Oxfords to make a short film on flight safety.

Mosquito RK931 5MU
Destroyed during staged accident for training film Kemble 10.7.46

Can anyone help find a copy or the name of the film mentioned above? I saw glimses of it several years ago when a chap called into the then Delta Jets offices and played it on the small video machine we had. I gave him my details and he promised to make a copy and send me one. Alas, this never happened and I have often thought what the title was and where he got it from.

Part of it was filmed behind the trees, it involved someone rolling 40gallon drums across the path of a taxiing mosquito.

Any suggestions of help would be greatly appreciated.

Original post

Member for

18 years 5 months

Sounds like it could be one of the "Fly with Prudence" films.
These were (in)famous for at least two incidences of accidentally swapping airworthy and none-airworthy airframes (sharing identical serials) in demonstrations of ground incidents illustrating flight safety.
Once deliberately taxiing a perfectly serviceable Anson by mistake at high speed into soft ground and also later largely cutting through the u/c of an airworthy Spitfire in another ground "incident" demo mix up.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Many thanks for the lead...........Any ideas on where I might start looking for these films?

Member for

20 years

Kemble safety film 1946

I saw this film in the 80's - it was on loan (presumably from some MoD safety organisation) to an Air Training Corp unit. It included a brand new Typhoon (SW683) with dummy pilot crashing on the runway after a tyre burst on take-off (or landing?) to illustrate the hazard of parking with tyres under stress.

Member for

19 years 4 months

After all this time I have finally been able to track down a copy of this film. Any help with movement histories of the following aircraft would be appreciated.

Spitfire coded 7B-B (595Sqn ???) req is too pixilated to read.
Oxford HM972
Anson MG198
Typhoon SW683
Lancaster ME445

The pilot for the Mosquito and Typhoon Crashes was a Sqn Ldr S G Nunn DFC. Any information on him would also be appreciated.