usaafe aircraft crash over gillingham kent

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 10 months

I am currently looking for information regarding 2, 3, or more USAAF B-25 mitchell bombers? which crashed over Gillingham, kent on the morning of 6th june 1944, has anybody heard of this and could anybody provide any information regarding this incident, thankyou.

Original post

Member for

24 years 6 months

As far as I'm aware, the USAAF never operated B25's from the UK during the war years. If they were B25's then they would have to be RAF, and if they were USAAF I'd suggest they were perhaps B26 Marauders.

I hope this is of some help.

Member for

16 years 10 months

unfortunately the information which i was given was provided by a gentleman who was about 10 at the time, he remembers clearly that they were american aircrew and that the site was under RAF guard not long afterwards.

Member for

24 years 6 months

From what I have heard from someone who lived there at the time, there was an aircraft that came down on knight avenue (off pier road) in Gillingham and it was American, more than that I don’t know.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Malc,

If such an incident did occur there will almost certainly be a report in one of the local newspapers (even if the date is 6 June 1944). These are archived by libraries - if not at the local library then certainly by the County Library. If you live in the area a visit to your library asking to view archived newspapers will bear fruit.

If you are unable to visit email the Medway Library Service at [email]lyn.rainbow@medway.gov.uk[/email], explaining you are seeking newspaper reports of an aircraft accident near Gillingham on 6 June 1944. The library will conduct a search for you, but there may be a nominal charge.

If there isn't a report then it almost certainly didn't happen or, if it did, it was on another date.

Member for

19 years 4 months

2 B-26s of the 394th Bomb Group did collide and crash at Gillingham (or in the vicinity of) on 6th June. The a/c serials were 42-96263 & 42-96050. Pilots were 2Lt Claude W Kline & 1LtWitcher T Berger

Jeff

Member for

24 years 6 months

I've just done a Google search based on Kiteflyer's info and found this site which states that both machines were from the 587th squadron of the 394th Bomb Group. There are even some profile illustrations which show how the group's aircraft were marked.

http://www.markstyling.com/b26_research.13.htm