Gloster Gladiator "Faith" Support Malta Aviation Museum restore Malta's first fighter

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

A recent online poll run by The Times of Malta clearly indicates that there is a lot of interest in Faith, the World War II Gladiator fighter plane at the War Museum in Valletta. The result of this poll indicates overwhelmingly that the public feels that Faith should indeed be moved to the Aviation Museum in Ta' Qali for professional restoration including the refabrication of a set of authentic wings and rudder for this very historic aircraft. A set of four original gladiatior wings has already been donated to the museum.

Malta Aviaiton Museum Foundation has been since 1996 requesting for the transfer of the fuselage of Gloster Sea Gladiator Faith from the War Museum, in Valletta, to the Air Battle of Malta Memorial Hangar at the Malta Aviation Museum to save and restore one of Malta's first WWII fighters and display it next to other historic aircraft it managed to preserve and restore over the years including a Hawker Hurricane MKIIA, a Supermarine Spitfire and a Fairey Swordfish.

The museum has received hundreds of letters in support of this project from historians, British and Maltese people who defended the islands during WWII as well as aviaiation enthusiasts and general public. Gloster Sea Gladiatior N5520 was one of the very first aircraft to defend the islands of Malta during WWII.

A forum was set up on Malta Aviation Museum's website www.maltaaviationmuseum.com/forum.asp where aviation enthusiasts can express their support for the complete restoration of this historic aircraft and make pressure on authorities to get over red tape and formally authorize the transfer of this historic aircraft to the Malta Aviation Museum which is run by a voluntary non profit making organisation.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

17 years 8 months

Malta Aviation Museum

Forgive me for bringing up an old thread but it saves beginning a new one. Below are a few pictures taken when I was on Malta in May, included are the new set of wings for "Faith". I have included a picture of Faith's tailplane, would this method of support do any damage to the fuselage over a period of time? Also featured is the Aviation Museum's Swordfish project and an aircraft part I didnt recognise. Any ideas?

Dean

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa195/Deano86/MaltaFL07MasCamera015.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa195/Deano86/MaltaSet1051.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa195/Deano86/MaltaSet1052.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa195/Deano86/MaltaSet1097.jpg

Member for

19 years 3 months

.....an aircraft part I didnt recognise. Any ideas?

Dean

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa195/Deano86/MaltaSet1051.jpg

First thought is a side of a Walrus cockpit but don't think I'm right.

Roger Smith.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Some later marks of Swordfish had enclosed cabins and I believe that is what it is.

Member for

17 years 8 months

I'd never heard of that before! Thanks!

Member for

17 years 8 months

That certainly looks correct, thanks again!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Eye on the sky

"would this method of support do any damage to the fuselage over a period of time?"

I don't think so. The static load on the stern post trestled like this, would be minimal, compared to a dynamic landing load that it would be designed to withstand during landing.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Malta's Swordfish airframe was one of the spares from Bob Spence's project here in Canada; those airframes (ex-Ernie Simmons) were indeed the Canadian training variant with the enclosed cockpit, though Bob restored his as an open-cockpit Mk.II. The Mk.IV designation seems to have been unofficial, but is a handy way to differentiate the Mk.II "hardtops"...I expect this one, too, will be restored in open-cockpit configuration.

In a similar vein, is that a Ju88 forward canopy frame on the wall above the front end of the Swordfish airframe?

S.

Member for

17 years 9 months

Steve,

Yes, it is

Cheers

Cees

Member for

24 years 5 months

Very impressive!

Excellent job! I am really amazed at the hard work and dedication that goes into this collection of aircraft. Has there been any mention of when work will start on the Swordfish?

Member for

21 years

Gladiator in Sad State

Hi all,

I'll start by thanking all those who have supported the Malta Aviation Museum over the years.

Unfortunately N5520 is on the books of Heritage Malta (HM), the national authority for conservation and preservation, as part of the national collection. I said 'unfortunately' as no one at HM has the slightest idea what aircraft preservation is all about and officials from this authority have even belittled the Hurricane's restoration as 'it is full of non-original parts', would you believe!

Meanwhile, the Sea Gladiator languishes at the National War Museum in extremely damp conditions, a stone's throw away from the sea. It's situation can be gauged by the attached photos taken a couple of months ago.

I invite members of this board to send their comments directly to Heritage Malta (http://www.heritagemalta.org), the authority that believes our guys at the Malta Aviation Museum are not qualified in restoring the Gladiator! Help save this relic; it has been in these conditions for more than 30 years, and I'm beginning to fear that it will last that much into the future.

Attachments

Member for

17 years 8 months

I did notice that the building containing the Sea Gladiator was very damp, I also noticed that they would have to demolish the front of the building to get the aircraft out! In my humble opinion the aircraft should be moved as soon as possible. The Aviation Museum has done a fantastic job with the Hurricane (and Spitfire), it would be great to see the Gladiator get the same treatment. Malta is a beautiful island, I cant wait to get back there!!

Best wishes,

Dean

Member for

19 years 7 months

I did a bit of sniffing about on the net to see how 'Faith' had managed to survive, not too much info, but I was interested to see contemporary pictures of it sporting a 3 blade prop and one source suggesting it had been re-engined from a Blenheim, presumably this engine is still in-situ. Does anyone have a bit more info on it's survival, personally, after looking at a site giving operational details over Malta during 1940, this must be one of the most historic airframes in the world and should be treated accordingly. With due respect to the Maltese, if nothing is done, it might be better off in Yeovilton, it was their a/c after all, it would certainly get all the TLC that seems to have previously passed it by.

Member for

17 years 8 months

With all due respect, sending the aircraft back to Yeovilton would be a crime, not only because the aircraft was gifted to the Maltese but because the aircraft belongs on the island, it would be out of place at Yeovilton. The aircraft is sitting in provenance!