Norman Lees, 9th September 1950 - 8th April 2000

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

Seven years ago We lost this great display pilot, Norman was one of a kind and a massive loss to the aviation world.

In this year the 25th anniversary of the Falklands conflict how we can we forget that Sea King, the grey helicopter seen easing into the smoke on the stern of the ‘Sir Galahad’ in the Falklands, that was Norman.

I still remember like yesterday our time together in the Radial Pair, great memory of a great man.

Original post

Member for

19 years 8 months

Echoed Colin....a great and lovely man...and such a pity

Member for

24 years 8 months

Some dodgy footage of one of his displays in the P-51D Mustang can be found on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgJr4oE7QvU

edit - thanks 'Squadronleader' for the feedback.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Well remembered, loverly man, never forgotten:o

Member for

20 years 3 months

Echoed Colin....a great and lovely man...and such a pity

I can't agree more, I did not really Norman, although a friend did, what I do remember is the rapport he had with the air show public, he always had time for a chat!

Eric

Member for

20 years 9 months

Norman was a total aviation person and a fine display pilot. I still miss his infectious enthusiasm. The airshow scene is the poorer for his passing but those who remember his skills are the richer for having seen them.
Happy memories.
Trapper 69

Member for

20 years 11 months

As others have mentioned here already the airshow scene is the poorer for his passing, Never met him but watched him fly so many times, Much missed.

I remember one arrival at Biggin Hill was partcularly exciting Norman arrived in Dave Gilmours P51 followed by the YellowJack Gnat directly behind, It was a sight and a sound to behold.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Where has 7 years gone.... I worked with Norman on many occasions in the 90's, many fond memories.

Member for

21 years

:(

Member for

18 years 10 months

Wow....7 years.....doesnt seem that long ago.

I echo what everyone else has said here. I first met Norman when he was the pilot for my first Harvard flight (July 11th 1987 - G-CTKL - Dunkeswell) and then got to know him through HFT, The Squadron and then Intrepid Aviation.

A lovely person and one that will always be missed.

Thanks,

Martin

Member for

24 years 8 months

Well remembered - a worthwhile thread.

Still can't believe it is seven years.

Moggy

Member for

17 years 6 months

Remembered for sure this year................yours aye Sir!

Member for

21 years

If anyone has a photo of the awsome memorial flypast that Richard Branson arranged for him with the 747 and P51s in formation, I am sure I am not the only one who would love to see this. Please do post it, if you can.

Member for

24 years 8 months

If anyone has a photo of the awsome memorial flypast that Richard Branson arranged for him with the 747 and P51s in formation, I am sure I am not the only one who would love to see this. Please do post it, if you can.

Hi Janie,
I have never seen a picture of that flypast but there may well of been one in the FP mag, a lot of people were taking pictures that day, I did not take a camera and it all seamed a bit surreal that day it was as if Norman was in the sky as it came over you just had the feeling he was there with them mind you Norman never missed the opportunity to get airborne so why miss his own tribute.
I think Norman had flown nearly every mustang in that flight as well as that 747.
Norman was a massive character in everyway and would of been the perfect "Battle of Britain" fighter pilot if he had been around in 1940.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Was trying to see if there was a pic of this formation (which I'd never heard about until now), and came across this website:

http://www.tew.dircon.co.uk/

I still remember hearing about this the day it happened.... :(

Member for

24 years 8 months

Hi Daz, there was a celebration of Normans life at Richard Bransons place in Oxfordshire and we were all ushered outside to the sight of a Virgin Atalntic 747 and 5 Mustangs I think it was with the missing man formation they circled a few times the sight and sound was something else it was as i said before very surreal indeed as know one spoke just looked skyward.