R.N. Air-Crash Investigation Unit, 1950s. Location?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 6 months

Hi Folks,
I am looking into the history of the unit responsable for investigating crashes involving Royal Navy / Fleet Air Arm aircraft in the years following WW2 ( circa 1946 -52).
I believe that the unit was based at one of the Gosport area shore base's HMS Daedalus or Sultan?
If anyone can confirm this and can add any other details relating to their activities, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers and happy new year, Chumpy.

Original post

Member for

18 years

Hi Chumpy,

I'm pretty certain that the Fleet Air Arm's Air Accident Investigation Unit was based at RNAS Lee-On-Solent, i.e. HMS Daedalus, during this time. They were certainly located there in the late 1960s.

Cheers,

Mark

Member for

19 years 2 months

R.N. Air-Crash Investigation Unit

Hi,

I can confirm that the AIU was at Daedalus in the early 60,s.

A visit to the "Black museum" was included as part of our course to show what could happen if mistakes were made when working on aircraft.

Member for

20 years 5 months

AIU was at Lee up until the move to Yeovilton during the mid 1990s when it became the Flight Safety and Accident Investigation Centre (FSAIC).

What history is this you're writing, out of interest?

Member for

24 years 6 months

R.N. Air Crash

Hi all,
Many thanks for the reply's this confirms what I thought.

The reason for my interest started a few weeks back when a work mate of mine showed me a collection of old photographs, that belonged to his deceased father in law.
Seems the chap in question served with said RN unit just after WW2 and never really spoke too much about it. The family are keen to find out a bit more so I stupidly said I would do a bit of digging being the company aircraft nutter! ( and occasional magazine contirbuter).
Early days as yet but given the subject matter this might turn into a magazine article. Some interesting photos of a crashed Firefly showing the Griffon being dismantled on site etc. At this stage I am not at liberty to post any of the photos, one in particular shows a curious looking seaplane in RN markings that has so far defied indentification!

If I get the necessary permision I will post the photo for your comments.

Cheers and thanks again, Chumpy.

Member for

24 years 6 months

RN crash etc

Hi all,
Further to yesterdays message anyone come across this unit emblem before, in relation to any of the Daedalus based outfits.

A bit blurred but a big blow-up from a small sectionof one of the photos, looks to be Donald Duck in sailors outfit, with axe about to chop a butterfly??

Most curious!

Chumpy.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Well first off, what aircraft is it? Can you post the un-blown-up pic?

JOAC (Joint Officers Air Course) of 781 NAS used to have Disney characters on the nose (Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck etc).