P-38 Nose Art

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 1 month

All-

If you had the choice what nose art would you put on a P-38 and why?

Plus... online sources for nose art pictures... any references?

thanks,

Original post

Member for

18 years

If we are talking accurate P-38 nose art rather than my own fanciful designs I would have to go with The Fighter Collections P-38 California Cutie.

Stunning nose art and a stunning colour scheme. Although Ive read sources that state they got the colour of the ladies dress wrong and 1/48th Aeromaster decal sheets appear to back this thought up.

But hey who cares it was a flying 38 that looked fantastic.

Member for

18 years 1 month

If we are talking accurate P-38 nose art rather than my own fanciful designs I would have to go with The Fighter Collections P-38 California Cutie.
But hey who cares it was a flying 38 that looked fantastic.

Thanks, but that comes under the heading of 'already been done'. It is a good paint scheme though.

g

Member for

20 years 11 months

How about Antoine de Saint Exupery's F-5?

Or a Circus Rosarius example...

Member for

21 years 5 months

I spend a bit of time flying in an online flight sim where the guys I "fly" with all fly 38s, so I did some fictional nose art just for fun, based on the 475th FG, and the 80th FS.

Mine is Miss Fire II since I'm a lousy shot, usually single engine etc. Including a couple others.

Dan

Attachments

Member for

20 years

Well, what about the 3rd one? "Pappys Birr-die". I would have gone for McGuire's "Pudgy V", but that is also under the 'Been done heading'.

http://www.eaglestrikeproductions.com/aeromaster/jpg48/ad48351a.jpg

T J

Member for

19 years 8 months

"Yippee" gets my vote, as usual! Of course an F-5 in a haze blue or French scheme would also be interesting.

cheers

greg v.

Attachments

Member for

18 years 1 month

Guys-

Great replies... and links... I like the nose art Dan... but have gotten the nix on 'racy' designs. The bird in question is a P-38L... and the owner is leaning towards an Olive Drab scheme.... I found 'Almost a Draggin'... but it is a silver scheme.

I'll keep you posted on progress... and pictures if interested.

Member for

20 years 11 months

It's gotta be YIPPEE... I mean, the kids will love it, you'll never miss it on the flightline, your aircraft wil never ever be confused with any other ever, anywhere, and if you cut yourself and bleed all over it it'll only show when it goes brown...

Only downside is you'll never get away with any low flying... ;)

Member for

21 years 5 months

If the owner is looking for an OD/Gray scheme, he probably couldn't miss with one of the Twin tailed Dragon schemes of the 459th FS.

Wade Meyers is doing a painting of one right now and it's a beauty.
http://wademeyersart.tripod.com/id74.html

http://wademeyersart.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/a_moments_peace_web.jpg

Member for

18 years 1 month

Dan-

That is a sharp scheme... I like those dragons! I'll put it in the hopper.

gunny

Member for

20 years

"Yippee" gets my vote, as usual!
cheers

greg v.

I totally agree. This is the one I would have had painted on mine, but I didn't nominate it due to having been done before! But why not try to persuade the guy to think about it. After all, this way you don't get to honour just one pilot, but every P-38 driver there ever was. And you do celebrate the 5000th 38 built!

However, if OD is the way to go, what about Bob Meyers "Bobcat II" from the 20th FG. Seen on the bottom here?

http://www.eaglestrikeproductions.com/aeromaster/jpg48/ad48289a.jpg

T J

Member for

18 years 11 months

ScrapIron IV 5 x 190s in one combat

[QUOTE='Gunny' Perdue]Guys-

Great replies... and links... The bird in question is a P-38L... and the owner is leaning towards an Olive Drab scheme.... I found 'Almost a Draggin'... but it is a silver scheme.

I'll keep you posted on progress... and pictures if interested.[/QUOTE]

On a Historical note......

I would choose Capt L.E. Blumer's 393rd Sq/367th F.G. mount, 'ScrapIron IV'

It has the distinction of destroying 5 x F.W.190's in one sortie !!!!....
quite some acheivement for a P.38 in the E.T.O. in N.W. Europe, & presumably unique ?

I recall reading about 'ScrapIron IV' in a book on F.W. 190's..... & being a 1/48th modeller, I found out that the markings/decal sheet was available for this actual aircraft...... hence I'd tracked it down.....

Microscale/ Super Scale Int - Sheet No 48 - 465.

Other reference sources are quoted on the accompaying sheet , besides the book that I'd read many years earlier.

The added advantage is that it HASN'T been done before, by other warbird restorers.....

Downside is, that it's a N.M.F. (Silver-bird), instead of an Olive Drab :( although the nose art is cool :cool:

Member for

20 years

The added advantage is that it HASN'T been done before, by other warbird restorers.....

Although not repainted exactly like his old wartime mount, Larry Blumer owned P-38 N74883 in the 60s, and it had the "Scrap Iron IV" nose art and name on the fuselage!

T J