Bomber Command Tail Markings.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 10 months

Hi All,
I've been reading some stuff recently about 3 Group RAF and the bombing operations carried out by Lancasters of that group in daylight in 1944.
I know that some/all aircraft had their tail surfaces painted for identification purposes during these operations.
I once saw in a magazine/book a list of these markings illustrated and a list of which squadrons used which colour and it may have only been the G-H leaders of each squadron that were so marked.
I've long since lost that publication and I think it might have been 'Aircraft Illustrated' or some thing similar (can't be sure).
This afternoon I’ve Googled away but can’t find anything useful about them anywhere.
Can any person here please help??
I think the BBMF Lancaster at one point carried a white vertical fin and that’s the set of markings I’m talking about (I think).
Cheers
Andy

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

The standard fin markings on 3 Group aircraft equipped with Gee-H was two yellow bars painted horizontally above the fin flash, but not extending across the rudders. The usual method was for two non Gee-H equipped aircraft to formate on one with the equipment, and to release their bombs simultaneously.

5 Group used coloured fins and rudders for daylight ops, mostly red, white or yellow, some solid, others with vertical, horizontal or diagonal bars in black.

1 Group also had them for a while.

(Edited to mention that the Halifax groups also had similar markings, lest HP57 complains!)